Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

He is a gorgeous boy Helen (not that I am biased or anything :offtopic: )

Well it is a quarter to three in the morning and we have been up for the last couple of hours because he is vomiting again. He has finally just settled and is sleeping on the lounge. If I attempt to get up and go to bed he will be up haunting the halls until I come and sit with him again...

It is times like these that my heart breaks for him... He is so sick... He vomits, then goes and drinks water and vomits again. This went on for hours last time but seems to have settled in just a couple of hours this time...

I want to take his temp but don't want to disturb him - think I will leave it until morning. I am pretty sure it up a bit (just don't know how much without taking it)...

Fingers crossed it is over for tonight

Jodie

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you poor things....what a terrible time you are having. Hopefully you dont get to read this till around lunchtime due to having a long and restful sleep in.

Does the vet have any idea what is causing this?

Maybe make up a list of everything Ollie is taking...and look for side effects. Send the list to me and i'll search for you. There will be a simple explanation to all this..we just need to track it down.

PS Strangely enough I dont think that you are at all biased

Well no such luck with a sleep in... Even when he is sick, he still gets up and drags himself to the front door around 7am, thinking we are going for a walk... Poor baby has hardly been for any walks in the last 2 weeks.

Helen here is the drug list:

Morning:

1 x Vitamin C - 500mg

1 x Lymphodran Plus (nutritional supplement)

1 x AntiOx Excel (Comprehensive antioxident and free radical scavenger)

1 x Thyroxine (for thyroid malfunction)

1 x Tagamet (for stomach ulcers and antihistmine)

1 x Amoxil (antibiotic for possible infection - because his white cell count was out again)

5 mushroom drops - 1/2 dropper

Ipecac drops - 1 dropper if needed

3ml of marshmallow, licorice, meadowsweet, ?? and ginger (for nausea and ulcers) - I have stopped this at the moment because he won't eat his meals with it on...

Evening:

1 x Vitamin C - 500mg

1 x Omega 3 fish oil - 1000mg

1 x Thyroxine (for thyroid malfunction)

1 x Tagamet (for stomach ulcers and antihistmine)

1 x Amoxil (antibiotic for possible infection - because his white cell count was out again)

5 mushroom drops - 1/2 dropper

Ipecac drops - 1 dropper if needed

3ml of marshmallow, licorice, meadowsweet, ?? and ginger (for nausea and ulcers) - I have stopped this at the moment as he won't eat his meals with it on...

He is eating:

Morning:

1/2 cup of HSD - UD

1 dentastick

Evening:

1/2 cup HSD - UD

250ml pulped veges with a little free range chicken

1 dentastick

His water dish holds 1.5 litres of water and it is usually filled 3-4 times a day..

Both the vet and the holistic vet know what he is taking from each other, but your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jodie

Jodie .... my heart feels for you. Really sorry about this downturn and hope that Ollie dog pulls through and out of it soon. One plus is that he settled in a shorter period of time than he has before.

Must admit it brought a knowing smile to my face when you mentioned how, regardless of illness, he was still up (and waking you up) early looking for a walk. :cry: Kal's a bit like that - can be on the doorstep of the rainbow bridge, but come meal time and we somehow find all this strength and get pushy for something to eat and hey presto, the glint's back in her eyes knowing there'll be another meal to come later :offtopic:. Ah well, whatever keeps them going for however long they want to. :)

If anyone can dig out extra information regarding meds etc., I'm sure Helen can. She still continues to amaze me with her wealth of information and knowledge of where to go to find it and then decipher it. Helen - what a Godsend you are, and knowing that you are occupied nursing your own sick ones as well. Bless you.

Warm thoughts for you all ..... Jodie, Ollie, Helen, Oscar, Lucinda. And also for Pampa and her girl (I haven't heard of any further news yet). And to Rusky and Goldie .... I hope she's doing ok now too. And for all and any others who are going through these rough times and travelling these rocky roads.

Edited by Erny

some interesting info:

Tagamet: can cause low white blood cell counts

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cimet_ad.htm

also something somewhere about tagamet and antacids ( not to be taken together) ah here it is

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/TAG1422.HTM

I remember this from whem Lucinda was taking carafate etc...my vet said not to be a worry wart..but I gave them apart anyway.

will pop in with any more info I can find.

Thanks Helen, I will print out that info on tagamet and take it with me next week - I am glad I stopped the marshmallow holistic drops. I will have to spread his tablets over more of the day instead of just giving them morning and night.

Thanks

Jodie

Edited for clarification

Edited by Staffyluv

Jodie,

Forgive me for asking..but why stop the marsh mallow?

"The great demulcent and emollient properties of Marsh Mallow make it useful in inflammation and irritation of the alimentary canal, and of the urinary and respiratory organs. "

meadowsweetIt is used internally with great effect on digestive problems, such as peptic ulcer, heartburn and gastritis.

Because it is being used as an antiacid treatment and I thought that it could not be used with the tagamet.

And it is supposed to be mixed with his food (3ml twice a day) and he won't eat his food when he can smell it on there. It also has licorice and ginger in it as well.

I am not sure how I am going to get him to take it - he just recoils at the smell of it.

I will keep trying it every couple of days but will have to make sure that he does not take the tagamet within a couple of hours of having the holistic medicine.

Cheers

Jodie

And it is supposed to be mixed with his food (3ml twice a day) and he won't eat his food when he can smell it on there. It also has licorice and ginger in it as well. I am not sure how I am going to get him to take it - he just recoils at the smell of it.

Jodie .... I don't know how well this will work, but I learnt at a recent SARDA (Search & Rescue) Seminar with "Sardog" (DOL member) that when a dog eats cheese, it affects their sense of smell. So much so that the affect can last for up to a couple of days. Don't know if you can use this information to assist you in getting Ollie not being able to smell the Marsh Mellow stuff, or even whether cheese would upset his constitution. Thought it might be worth passing on to you though.

Ollie loves cheese... I will give it a try... I will give him a piece of cheese before his dinner and see if he will eat it...

Thanks for that Erny...

DOL has so many people with so much information... It is great to have so many people helping - I would be lost without you all..

Thanks

Jodie

I suspect that they are referring to drug company manufactured antacids.

With Lucinda I would add her liquid herbs to some soup/broth and use a single shot drench gun to get them down her throat...she HATES ME! Then i would follow up with something tasty.

How is Ollie lad today? feeling better I hope.

Thanks for the ideas on how to get him to take the marshmallow... I am going to try both tomorrow as he is still a bit low today - I just don't want to stress him in any way...

I will try the cheese in the morning and the drench at night (can I just do this using a syringe?)

He is a lot better, still wants to play sometimes but I can tell he is not himself.

He did not vomit at all last night, so hopefully he is on the mend.

Cheers

Jodie

Jodie,

So pleased that Ollie seems to be settling. You can use a syringe but Ollie is a staffy....may be really hard to get his jaws open. I know with Jake when he did not want to be medicated nothing but nothing would induce him to take meds.

I also think one of the benefits of holistic treatment is that missing a day or two on the whole will not hurt.

Hi Helen,

My boy will do anything for an arrowroot biscuit - all I have to say is open for me and he does it. I even use the glass droppers in his mouth and he has never bitten down on them...

I am pretty lucky, even if he does not like it he still takes it...

Cheers

Jodie

I'm also wondering if adding Vegemite (made watery by mixing with warm water) will help disguise the smell of the MM .... and perhaps even if he can still smell it a bit, the smell of the Vegemite might overcome him enough for him not to be able to ignore eating it. Maybe do the cheese thing, then the disguise of vegemite. That's IF his system can tolerate vegemite. I'm not sure how long it takes for the cheese to affect sense of smell. I presume fairly immediately. But it might not hurt to give him some as treats tonight and then again in the morning. I'm sure Ollie dog won't mind, anyway. :laugh:

Good luck, Jodie. Let us know what works. :mad

I have not tried to give him the marshmallow/licorice/ginger stuff yet... He is happy again and wants to play and go for a walk - I just don't want to do anything that changes that - selfish?

I will try it next week when the antibiotics stop (one less thing to take)

Touch wood, he has not vomited since Monday night...

If all goes well, he can have his second last chemo session next week. Then with only one more to go, I think I am going to make it the last one. We will continue with the holistic approach and some help from our wonderful vet...

Cheers

Jodie and a not so sick Ollie dog