Doesn't Lift His Leg

westiefan

I read that a male will cock his leg to mark something over the previous mark. Because the marking on the tree/post/chair leg (:rofl:) shows how tall the previous dog is. By lifting his leg your dog can convince others that he's taller and therefore scarier and more dominant than he really is. The writer then went on to tell of a Basenji, I think, that would actually run up a tree trunk while peeing.. I guess the other dogs would have thought there was a horse-sized dog wandering around the neighbourhood

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover

Harri has been cocking his leg for a good month +, he will be 5 months old on the 25th of this month :). I found it funny when i was walking him around at flyball on the weekend trying to get him to pee... he wouldn't until i took him over to a tree :p.

My Rottie x bitch cocks her leg to mark, so not only a male thing.

My 9 year old golden male squats too. I don't mind, but there's always the joke with my family on how he still does little boy wees. :p I thought it was quite uncommon, but reading this thread makes me think its not that uncommon.

You should be grateful he pees like a girl (well some girls).

Rafael learned to cock his leg after 3 hours of hanging out with my friends dogs. I was not impressed :) He's funny actually, cocks his leg at the park and on walks but mostly at home squats or just lifts one paw up because there are no other doggy scents to cover. He is nearly 2 and still has terrible aim :p

Diesel is 5.5 years old, was desexed at 6 months and has never cocked his leg. I think it is great because so many people whinge about how bad male dogs are for cocking their leg and peeing on everything and I tell them that he has never done it and not all males will. Why would anyone want to encourage it??? JMO!!!!

kendall

Guest Clover

Leg cocking does not bother me at all, as long as young Harri does not do it inside all is good. Elvis tried a couple of time was caught both times and told off and never tried again :thumbsup:.

my bf seen a double leg corking...theres a JR and a Blue heeler where he works. Stump the heeler corked his leg on a tree. Jack the JR decided he can top that...he put one back foot up on the tree, then kind of reversed and put the other back foot up on the tree and proceeded to mark it...while doing a handstand

I used to have a bitch who would cock her leg to pee.

I have an 8 month old boy squats at home and I want that to continue. Rather have him go on the ground than all over the house walls and fences! He does cock his leg when out though.

All of my dogs lift their legs to pee when out (even Zoe, who is a female :thumbsup: ) - they can be lazy at home though. The boys started around 6 months. We have a tiny toy poodle pup at work who is about 4 months maybe, if that, who is lifting his leg already! And lots of males squat their whole lives. Depends on the dog.

My 5 month old GSD still squats and the 6yr old cross follows him around and pees in the same spot cocking his leg up in the middle of the lawn and is amazingly accurate gets the same spot every time so ho[pefully the pup wont learn to cock his leg and the trees will get a rest :thumbsup:

I was excited the first time my 4yo cocked his leg then quickly changed my mind... i have now started to encourage him to squat and only let him pee on one tree while out... if he must pee it is flat on the ground but he usually finds a branch or twig to pee over! my 10mo puppy hasnt cottoned on yet and i hope to god he never does... although he did do it once, but it was a quick leg up in the air oh god what am i doing, leg down and continued to pee... he looked as if he was doing some sort of courting dance...

i want it to stop!! my 9 month old terrierx learnt to cock when he was very young and walking him is so frustrating!! has to pee on every tree! actually thats a lie after i got him desexed its every 3rd tree :cry: he even cocks when he has no pee left!!

my 6month old ridgeback doesnt cock yet and pees straight through his front legs!! very funny to see, it goes quite a long way!!

I read that a male will cock his leg to mark something over the previous mark. Because the marking on the tree/post/chair leg (:cry:) shows how tall the previous dog is. By lifting his leg your dog can convince others that he's taller and therefore scarier and more dominant than he really is. The writer then went on to tell of a Basenji, I think, that would actually run up a tree trunk while peeing.. I guess the other dogs would have thought there was a horse-sized dog wandering around the neighbourhood

That's correct, a dog will only cock it's leg to urinate over another dog's 'mark', there has to be a previous 'mark' to instigate cocking of the leg. If your dog is squatting it is probably either just relieving itself or leaving a 'mark' where no other dogs has before. The next dog to come along and urinate on that spot will cock it's leg. Squatting and cocking to urinate are both quite normal behaviours.