Doesn't Lift His Leg

westiefan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a recent discussion on this same topic and if I knew how to pin the thread I would :) , use the search feature to find the topic.

I have a nearly 6 year old and he sometimes stands with his legs splayed out!!

When I had my first dog some 18 years ago I was told that they will learn to cock their leg when the urine hits their front feet. Probably an old wives tale.

Yep - George is 2 and it wasn't until he was about 12 months that he really started cocking his leg. Having said that - sometimes he doesn't lift his leg at all. Its an individual thing - main thing is that your boy is managing to urinate.

Edited by Georgie-boy

Really I dont know why some people are worried when an adolescent/adult dog does not start cocking its leg ...

it then wants to stop at every tree and then goes onto 'marking' your furniture if you're not too vigilant!

Count your blessings :)

There was a recent discussion on this same topic and if I knew how to pin the thread I would :) , use the search feature to find the topic.

I have a nearly 6 year old and he sometimes stands with his legs splayed out!!

When I had my first dog some 18 years ago I was told that they will learn to cock their leg when the urine hits their front feet. Probably an old wives tale.

old wives tale to be sure Oliver pees on his front feet quite often and he is 2 and a bit he has cocked his leg twice and prefers to half squat and I love that he does not cock his leg maybe just too lazy.

My old shep x was still squatting until he was 12 months old, i taught him to do it. As he had a broken leg when he was 5months, i let him go until he was strong enough to balance. When he would wee, i would lift one hind leg. He learnt after a few times of showing him, but i must say he still did it half the time squatting with a foot in the air. :laugh:

I'm not sure how old Kane was when he started lifting his leg, but every now and then he will squat. I think it's more he couldn't be bothered or too lazy to lift his leg. He is 3 at the end of the year.

:rofl: Yeah Neds a big girl too, hes 4-5 and he squats to pee, i think its pretty funny,. Just because they don't cock their leg it doesn't mean he won't stop to pee on everything, Ned got into my house and squatted twice in my kitchen!!! i was lucky though it wasn't sprayed up the walls :laugh:

I have a male puppy and I'm not really looking forward to him cocking his leg. Last night he did a piddle inside but he was up against the wall when he did it......I wonder if that could be a start! I was told that it probably doesn't start happening until about 9 months old....but I'm sure it varies.

My boyfriends mum's dog (a bitch) cocks her leg and does the grass flicking thing afterwards!

a puppy from my last litter was regularly cocking his leg before he went to his new home at 10 weeks old! I have another pup here whose knees are getting more bent as he gets older(4 months now), while he pees.

They are all different, it's just we humans percieve it as the normal thing for a male to do and it is amazing how many people are proud when their boy does start to cock his leg.

Onslow at 20 months of age has never lifted his leg in his life - he squats. Vet said he never had a male role model to learn from. He was also desexed at 4 months old, don't know if that made a difference.

Daisy my maltese though, although she was a desexed female, lifted her leg at everything whilst we were out walking! Ons. never cottoned on though.