Vacinations - Just A Bit Confused - Please Help

Taipan

Hi all, I have a staffy puppy. I want to take him to puppy school ASAP and the local RSPCA is holding one on the 21st October. The RSPCA said that my pup only needed the first vacination ie the one he had at 6 weeks. All the same I prefer him to have had his 12 week booster. The breeders vet card shows that the next booster is due on 23rd October ie when he is 11 weeks. My vet said he can have the booster 1 weeks earlier than recommended ie 10 weeks. This means he will be having his 12 week booster at 10 weeks of age :thumbsup: and there will be a 5 day lag before he goes to puppy class. This whole thing is a bit confusing to me. Seems like my pup will be having his 12 week booster at 10 weeks of age and there is a 5 day lag before the booster takes effect.

Can someone please tell me is this seems odd to them or ok? I love my pup and dont want to hurt him by giving him his booster to early.

Thanks for the help

Puppies generally have 3 vaccinations. They begin at 6 - 8 weeks and then continue in 4 weekly intervals. E.g. If your puppy had its first vaccination at 6 weeks then the next one would be due at 10 weeks and then the last one at 14 weeks. But if puppy had their first vaccination at 8 weeks then the vaccinations fall at 12 weeks and then 16 weeks.

I wouldn't stress too much about it as the vaccinations are usually the same (depending of course whether he is having C4 or C5 but thats another kettle of fish - I won't confuse you further) so he wouldn't be getting anything he shouldn't and will be perfectly safe.

Edited by Georgie-boy

I disagree, sorry :thumbsup: .

The second vaccination is usually done at 12 weeks and not before as it is thought that by this time there are no maternal anti- bodies left to interfere with how well the vaccine works.

Just quoting what is done through our clinic, and what our vets advise our clients and I know most others up here are the same. Again though - there are so many differing views on the topic of vaccination that I would suggest consulting your own vet and making your decision from that.

personnally i would scrape the RSPCA class & attend a good obedience school.

We get our show pups vacc at 11 weeks.

Some vets will over servive & have you come in way earlier,

We do 6 weeks & then puppy owners do 12 weeks & then optional 16 week booster

Thanks everyone. Seems like there is a bit of variation going on so I will talk to my vet on Monday and take it from there. I cant get into a obedience school until next Feb - they dont run schools over summer - thus my decision to do the RSPCA puppy class. I will take my pup to obedience school from Feb next year but right now though it is just puppy class for us :eek:

My best friends puppy was vaccinated at 6 weeks then 12 weeks. The vet says she doesn't need another booster until same time next year. Is this right. Only 2 vaccinations? But she asked again to make sure she wasn't confused and the vet says no its right only 2.

Whether the pup has 2 or 3 vaccinations depends on the brand of vaccine used. One manufacturer recommends 3, and the other, 2. I personally think 2 is sufficient.

The first one, given at 6 weeks, is given to provide protection in case there was no maternal immunity transferred to the pups. If there is maternal immunity, it overrides the vaccine. There is no easy way of knowing whether the pup has received immunity from the mother.

So, the second vac. is given at 10 -12 weeks to provide permanent protection. On the premise that no matter whether there was maternal immunity or not, the second vac. will provide further antibodies, which will then give full protection.

And, a third may be given at about 16 weeks.

I don't think vac. the pup a few days early will hurt. I've had mine done a week early, or a week late, for convenience, without problems. I also notice that the vac. cert for the pup I had vaccinated recently gives a 4 week date for the next vac. Ie, vaccination at 6 and 10 weeks.

Pups which are high risk to contract parvo are often vaccinated at 2 weekly intervals.

When talking to my local vets...I had two of them suggest only two and the third is optional and the third insisted on the third vaccine as well... So it is up to you and what your vet does.

personally, Bella will only be having the first two. ie, 6 week and 12 week :eek:

I dontmean to hijack the thread or anything but.... The last injection?

Does it have to be given or is it optional because i only got Ramses done at 12 weeks aswell as the normal 6wk one from where i got him.

I didnt get the third one done because most instructors at the dog club always say first 2 for the dog last one for the vet :eek:

So basically is it ok to get the first 2 and then the yearly booster and skip the 3rd one??

I dontmean to hijack the thread or anything but.... The last injection?

Does it have to be given or is it optional because i only got Ramses done at 12 weeks aswell as the normal 6wk one from where i got him.

I didnt get the third one done because most instructors at the dog club always say first 2 for the dog last one for the vet :eek:

So basically is it ok to get the first 2 and then the yearly booster and skip the 3rd one??

The third one is not for the Vet's benefit, it's what some BRANDS of Vaccine companies recommend.

Whether you do a third or not is up to you, but don't try to sue your Vaccine company if your dog picks up something when you didn't follow manufacturer's advice.

Mel.

Whether you do a third or not is up to you, but don't try to sue your Vaccine company if your dog picks up something when you didn't follow manufacturer's advice.

Mel.

So should we be suing the vets when our pup gets sick from overvaccinating when they do not follow the drug company's recommondation as many don't now that the protocols have changed?

Protocols have changed for vaccines recently although clients are not always told about the new details from the drug companies.

A new puppy purchaser trying to sift the wheat from the chaff is confronted with so many differing opinions. My advice is to follow what your breeder (assuming you have bought from one) has suggested if you are totally confused by it all

So should we be suing the vets when our pup gets sick from overvaccinating when they do not follow the drug company's recommondation as many don't now that the protocols have changed?

Protocols have changed for vaccines recently although clients are not always told about the new details from the drug companies.

A new puppy purchaser trying to sift the wheat from the chaff is confronted with so many differing opinions. My advice is to follow what your breeder (assuming you have bought from one) has suggested if you are totally confused by it all

That's a whole other subject, I'm sure you realise that.

Protocols have changed, ONE brand of Vaccine has gone triennial, and I don't know one Vet who is using them considering the high numbers of vaccine related tumours with American manufactured Vaccines.

I follow the Dodd's protocol as well, but it's on my back should my dog pick up parvo/distemper/hepatitis. I have no recourse with my Vet or the Vaccine companies, that is what I'm relaying to the OP.

The OP needs to check with their Vet about what BRAND they use that is my point, protocols may be a hot topic of discussion but the manufacturers we use certainly have not revised the number of puppy Vaccinations recommended YET.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I was under the impression that the first vacc at 6 weeks cancelled the immunity from the mother?

Then they get one at 10-12 weeks and then again at 14-16 weeks, this is what I do anyway

Then again at one year

I would not recommend taking a puppy to any RSPCA shelter at this time of year, they get parvo too

I was under the impression that the first vacc at 6 weeks cancelled the immunity from the mother?

This is the tricky bit. It depends on how much maternal immunity she passes to the pups. The same amount may not be passed to all pups. The maternal immunity may cancel the first vac! However, the pup may have received no maternal immunity, so the first vac. is then effective.

Then, whether you give 1 or 2 more vaccinations depends on which vaccine you use.

Ok well I went to visit my vet yesterday, we are getting one at 12 weeks not 10 as previously planned. This means pup will have one at 6 weeks and 12 weeks. After the second vaccine he will need to wait 2 weeks then go to puppy school. We will then get a booster each year. This means my pup will be 14 weeks before he is allowed to venture in the big wide world (without me carrying him or being crated that is).