Can I Feed My Dog (raw) Lamb Shanks?

squeak

My butcher had lamb shanks going cheap the other day, so I grabbed one for Stormy. It wasn't until I got home I thought that I perhaps shouldn't give it to her - I know that some people don't feed chicken legs because there is there is a small sharp bone in them, and I suddenly thought that lamb shanks might be the same :laugh:

She will of course be supervised when we give it to her, and thankfully she doesn't gulp her food or bones.

I personally don't because the only time I've ever had problems with my dogs eating bones it has been with lamb shanks. However, as long as you supervise your dog while eating and take away the bone when the meat is consumed it should be fine.

I also prefer to give something that can be entirely consumed, bones included so I stick to necks/ brisket/tail and flanks when it comes to animals other than chicken.

My vet advised raw lamb shanks for mine. My are little fellas about 8kg. He said the getting the meat off the shank is good for their front teeth and they can nibble on the joint end of it for thier back teeth. They don't bite through the shaft of the bone as the my dogs r too small. Bigger dogs might be better off with a bigger bone.

I personally don't because the only time I've ever had problems with my dogs eating bones it has been with lamb shanks.

The same for me. I tried feeding Buster lamb shanks a few times but he always ended up spewing up or pooing out a sharp piece of bone. :laugh:

i would never feed any cooked bones - to any dog, big or small

mine eat most things but tend to leave the really dense bones - such as the massive beef joints/knuckles butchers often sell as 'dog bones' - i dont bother with them they have no meat on and the dogs cant eat them!

i find ribs can splinter a bit if you have an inhaler/non chewer - but mine seem fine with them.

i like the lamb spines (not sure what they are called at the butcher) nice soft bone and generally quite a bit of meat. :laugh:

Edited by Akitaowner

Bigger dogs might be better off with a bigger bone.

What's bigger? Those "bolo" bones seem to be too big and there is nothing in between.

WHen you get the big cow legs, as I call them, get the butcher to slice them in half longways, that way the dogs can get the marrow out of the centre. Keeps them busy for hours.

I

give them to Paris but I will admit I give her cooked ones!

Im too scared to give her raw meat, in case its makes her sick.

But I was also told it helps fatten them up.

Is that true?

Regardless Paris loves them.

Cooked bones should NEVER be given to any dogs!!!