Now Ive Seen It All

Ittybitty_

Hey all,

Ive been flat out working, and I thought Id saw it all, until I had 2 poodles brought in today to be clipped. The little apricot toy that I had, didnt have a lower jaw. She only had the upper jaw. She is from a registered breeder, and apparently they tried to remove baby teeth with pliers and were extremely unsuccessful, so the lower jaw got infected, and rotted away. She is with a new owner who loves her to bits. She can eat normally, bark, whine etc. She just has to wear a bib as she cant control the excess drooling. Still a sweet little gal, and god bless her new owner for giving her a new chance!

Cheers

Ash

holy shit!

Ditto :mad

She is from a registered breeder, and apparently they tried to remove baby teeth with pliers and were extremely unsuccessful, so the lower jaw got infected, and rotted away.

OMG! Surely this is not normally done :happydance2:

She was a happy little muffin. But my god it was strange to look at. She had part of a lower lip hanging there, and her tongue.. She has learnt to roll her tongue up in a sort of ball, so that she can tuck it away.

I have used tweezers to pull out a loose tooth etc. But only if it is hanging by a thread etc. Anything other than that is a job for the vet.

Have NEVER heard of forcibly removing baby teeth :rolleyes:

Thank heavens she has found someone so understanding!

It actually is quite common and particularly in smaller breeds as the breeders believe it guards against the permanent teeth not coming through in the correct positions. If there are no baby teeth there, then the new ones can't come up beside them etc.

I would never do it myself, and being an ex dental nurse am of the opinion that if they're gonna be crooked, they'll be crooked regardless!

Mel.

Retained baby teeth is very common in some breeds, in fact you will often see quite older dogs with their baby teeth still in place, and their adult teeth have come through as well.

The baby teeth do need to be removed to prevent problems, there is not enough room in the dogs mouth for a double set of teeth to be in place healthily.

I am not condoning what the previous owners of this dog have allegedly done,

but it is usual to have the retained teeth removed.

It's quite common to remove baby teeth, I know quite a few Stafford breeders that will get the pliers out when needed. They aren't that hard to take out. When they are stuck tight , they should be removed by a vet . Otherwise they simply slide out when you pull them from the right angle.

I feel sorry for the poor poodle though :rolleyes:

When I got Ruffles desexed recently, one of the pre op inspections they did wash check for retained puppy teeth.

They also checked for a umilical hernia as well. I suppose they think that they might as well do all the 'nasty' thing when under genrel. Ruffles got a clean bill and they said she had a 'perfect smile' :laugh: .