Drying Your Dog After A Bath

Hi all,

Just a question about drying your dogs after a bath.

Ok, this is my routine. I bath her when there is no wind, especially now that it is getting cooler. Today was a perfect day for it :p

I wrap her in a towel and take her outside in the sun and towel dry her. I make a game out of it too and run around a bit, makes it a bit fun for her. I then towel her again, making sure I get the hard to reach places like under the arms, paws and behind the ears. After that, she settles down nicely and I comb and brush her and attend to any other things she needs done (paw hair trimming, nail trimming etc)

This is all well and good, but it seems to take a while (the drying bit, the grooming bit is meant to take a bit of time lol) and I'm worried that I am keeping her too wet for too long. I don't want to use a hairdryer because I have heard it is too hot for them and it tends to dry the hair and skin out. Is this correct?

The above techniques have always worked with my shorthaired dogs, they seem to dry very quickly.

Another question, maybe I shouldn't make it into a game for them :( I haven't completely ruled out having her professionally groomed in the future, although she is a breed with grooming needs that I believe I can handle myself if you know what I mean. My main concern is that she spends too much time out in the sun, but unless I make the process as quick as possible (ie play and then dry, play and then dry) she will remain damp for too long.

Anyway thanks guys, look forward to knowing what you all do :)

Edited by Emm

We have 2 pekes & a sheltie and live in Tas...so we don't have too many days where we could use the ol towel dry & shake that a lot of others can use :p

We use a hairdryer for the pekes (after being towel dried) on a low heat setting...we've never had any probs with this - and you'll find most dogs don't like dryers around their heads. I take my sheltie to a hydrobath and do him myself (had a couple of bad experiences over the years with groomers - and he's much happier that I do it anyway!) and they have dryers their too...

I think what you're doing ie. by making it fun is great - especially whilst your baby is so young...you don't want them to hate the grooming experience as with a long haired dog you'll be doing plenty! My sheltie hated being brushed/bathed when I got him (which I thought was a little odd as he came from a breeder who is also a groomer!) so from early on, I used a treat/kong in one hand and brushed him in the other...and when he grew too big for the one-handed trick, I have a brush in the back of the car, and give him a quick brush before he goes off to play/walk each day. He's improved dramatically since I started doing this...based on the theory that after this quick brush, you will be rewarded by going to play etc.

Good luck!

If its a hot, pleasent day, I towel dry them and send them outside to dry off completely, we're in Sydney, so we have some humidity, and they are usually done in around 5 mins, max. With my Malt I brush him before I send him out, and its so quick :p

On cooler days I towel dry them then on the lowest setting, I use a hair dryer. I have a dog whos skin is easily irritated so I hold it further away for her, but it never irritates either one of mine, and my little lad loves it! Hes had the dryer since we got him, and he just sits back and enjoys, its so cute to see (hes the maltese so it takes a while to dry him with the dryer). But they both have lovely coats, and Ive never had a problem doing it either way :)

Thanks guys! Sounds like I'm on the right track, but it may be worth getting Abby used to a hairdryer as well, especially for winter.

Lol Koolietas, I live nowhere near Tassie. At least the weather her is warm enough for me to allow my dogs outside to dry off (really all year round if need be) so I am very lucky in that respect.

I glad to hear that your sheltie enjoys grooming more now! I'm like you, I do like to make it fun for them, neither of them really likes baths, Gracie (staffy) tolerates it, Abby squirms and protests, but we always get the job done. Amazing really because they both enjoy playing in water :p :(

Like you said, long hair = lots of grooming, so I like to make it a fun process for all involved. Abby needs no encouragement in that department, she enjoys being brushed and fussed over :):cheer: . Gracie just loves the big game it turns into lol :cheer:

Amiedoll thanks too. Glad to hear about your experience with the hair dryer, even with a dog with sensitive skin. It's good to know I'm not the only one who dries my dogs like that lol. It's how I've always done it but I admit I have never asked about what others do!

Cheers guys!

When I am actively showing a dog it is dried with a hair dryer once and sometimes twice weekly and it doesn't affect the skin or hair at all, just make sure that you use a good quality shampoo and conditioner and don't have the hair dryer too hot. Also if you live in a warm humid climate it is important to ensure that dogs with undercoat are dried completely, right down to the skin otherwise you may have trouble with fungal infections if your dog is in any way susceptible to these conditions.

Thanks Miranda, I do live in a pretty humid climate. Even though I was worried about not drying completely or quickly enough, I certainly hadn't thought of fungal infections, so thanks for pointing that out.

I use Aloveen Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner at the moment.

Edited by Emm

I always blow dry my dogs after a bath unless it is a really hot day, I let them run around mad and dry in the sun.

If using a small hairdryer, as you would with your hair, it is much hotter than a groomers dryer. Some small dogs I groom are extremely scared of the large dryer, so I get out the little one and they are much more comfortable. I just make sure I dont hold it in the one spot for too long. It does take longer but the dogs are much happier. :p

You can get away with using a human hair dryer, just don't put it on too high and use some common sense.

I would probably apply the Aloveen conditioner after the hair drying as you can leave it in :p

I have a pet hairdryer made by breville I think.

Its quieter than normal hairdryers and has cooler settings.

I find it great for the little dogs I get in for washing that are scared of the noise for the big dryer.

Hi all,

... maybe I shouldn't make it into a game for them ... look forward to knowing what you all do

Making a game of it worked for me. My three were terrified of/hated the power dog dryer in the salon. Started using the 'people' hair-dryer combined with treats. Big turnaround - now if one gets a bath, the other two line up to be 'dried off' also, and get quite snotty if they don't get an all-over warm air treatment and towel rub. Probably an element of jealousy contributed, but making it a fun episode made it much easier so now bath and dry time is win/win.