Is It True?

Hi Guys,

I was reading the handy hints in a mag some time ago. cant remember which one unfortunately, but it said to sharpen scissors to cut aluminium foil with them repeatedly until you get the desired sharpness.

Has anyone ever tried this?

also, i have diamond etched or is it edged scissors. do you think it would work?

Jenna

PS. was gunna give it a go but didn't want to waste all my foil if it didn't work lol

do you have a ceramic bowl with a good bottom that is not glazed? Turn it upside down drip water under the tap and sharpen each blade pulling them towards you (with blade tip pointing outwards away from you)then turn to the other side and do the same, you must do it pretty quick. Do one side of each blade then turn it around to the other side. This is a traditional way. If you watch Jamie Oliver or some other chefs with their knife sharpener, it's made of ceramic.

TIP: the scissors must be wet/oiled for this to work.

Edited by flycow

I'd be interested to hear of any results from the sandpaper and foil. I have many pairs of blunt scissors lying around and have no idea how to sharpen them apart from trying to use that rod thingy... and all I seem to do is make them more blnt when I use it????

If these scissors are for grooming get them sharpened professionally. I would never mess around trying to sharpen my scissors at home, they're expensive scissors and I wouldn't want to ruin them.

How do they sharpen by rubbing them on foil? ;)

eta- OMG, I'm so embarrassed. :laugh: It said cut the foil, not rub it on the scissors! :laugh: :p :(

eta2- it's been a long day..

Edited by Luv my White Shepherd

i have a few different scissors. i have Wahl (x1) and Jaguars (x2) ones that cost a $50, $90 and $120. they suck. i use them for preping dogs. i have Jaguar thinning shears that cost me about $60 and they are good.

my two favourites are ones i got off ebay. one doesnt have a brand name on it but i got it from overseas for $40 or so including postage. my second pair is "Angel" and i got those for under $50 i think.

my boss has some really expensive scissors ($200+) and i really dont find them much different to my cheap scissors.