Maybe An Aussie? Advice?

Miru

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker but I recently had to go through the loss of two oldies and I'm looking for some advice. My two were chinese cresteds who I had for about 12 years, and one of them had extremely bad separation anxiety which I was able to manage somewhat but it never really went away - I nicknamed her DestructoDog for reasons I'm sure you can guess. I'd always maintained that after managing her tendencies for so long I would avoid dogs once she was gone because she was such hard work (the other was a breeze!), but I find myself with an aching loneliness where the click click of little paws used to be. Despite the years of difficulties with her, I have not dealt with their loss at all well.

My decision on never having dogs again has done a complete reversal but I'm nervous of potentially ending up with another difficult anxiety dog. Once I choose a dog it will be for the entirety of the dog's life so it's not a decision I am entering into lightly. I've been looking at dog breeds and have decided this time around I'd like a larger, more robust breed that I can take with me to the horse paddock and generally accompany me almost everywhere. The dog will live inside with me rather than be relegated to the back yard. The Aussie has really caught my eye as an intelligent, person-focused dog but I'm hesitant at going with a working breed in case they are far too much for me. I always hear horror stories of families taking on working breeds and ending up with bored and destructive dogs.

I work from home and I have a half acre, well-fenced property and I drive out to the paddock almost every day where there are other working breeds available for play. There's also 2 other dogs (medium and small breed) living on this property which are not mine but my future dog will have almost constant access to (think of a duplex type arrangement with shared yard). I will be putting the time in to train whichever dog I end up with but I relish the thought of perhaps being able to do some advanced obedience stuff. I'm not a hugely active person but I would be able to walk and play ball/frisbee/whatever on an almost daily basis in addition to the paddock visits. Does the Aussie sound like it would suit this sort of lifestyle or is it going to go stir crazy with boredom?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be a select aussie for the situation.

But I do see some issues. I know a few aussies with anxiety issues for one. If you wanted a hard bullet proof breed I'm not sure an aussie would ever be my first choice. Be very very careful with picking your lines if you go ahead.

The other issue I see is the other working breeds this dog will play with, will the dog actually play with them or are they actually working working dogs?

If they aren't true working dogs and are available to play, 1: will your dogs be compatable and WANT to play, 2: will they want to keep playing with enough intensity day after with constant access or end up just laying around like normal yard dogs.

If any of the above scenarios happen will you still be able to give the dog enough exercise AND mental stimulation. There are different levels of drive in Aussies. I really don't like it when people think of them as the "easier" working dog. They are different to Border Collies in how they think and act, but they may not be "easier".

I suggest you meet a few, and not only the ones at shows, as they are always nice, calm and seem to be on there best behaviour, Go to some agility comps or even better, a training club where they are still in training. Talk to the owners and breeders about what each individual dog is like at home. How much exercise, training etc each person has to do to keep each particular dog happy.

Some are fairly lazy, some are a bit nutso.

Edited by LisaCC

Yes I meant an Australian Shepherd - are Australian Terriers considered a working breed too? Sorry for the confusion.

LisaCC thanks for the honest response :) The other dogs on the horse property are working breeds but not actual working dogs, they spend their entire day playing with each other. Noted that my dog may not want to play with them, I had not thought of that. Also duly noted about anxiety being a solid possibility in an Aussie Shep though, thank you. It's not that I'm looking for a bulletproof breed, it's just that the anxiety in my late dog made me hesitate over getting another dog at all in case I ended up with that again, however I'm sure there's no guarantees when it comes to dogs of any breed and I'm prepared to deal with what comes.

I've been talking to an Aussie owner and have been trying to get in contact with a local breeder to talk about them too but still awaiting a response. I was hoping to get some insight here too as I see a few folks have/breed them. I'm also interested in suggestions of breeds that might suit better if the Aussie Shep turns out to be incompatible. Every time I look up a breed and think they might be suitable a long list of negatives is also present so I end up unsure.

An Aussie would need daily exercise IMO. They can also be quite highly strung and I know a few who are quite anxious.

Mine was very destructive as a pup too. In this situation it wouldn't be my first choice. I'm sure as Lisa said there would be some that would fit in but you'd be taking a risk.

Dame Aussie - Yes I know an Aussie would require daily exercise, would walk/paddock/daily frisbee/ball not be enough? In that case probably not the dog for me. The destructiveness as pups I've read about and have no issue with that in any breed because they grow out of it, I'm just less keen on a lifetime of it. Thanks for the heads up on the anxiety in some of them.

Edited by Miru

There could be a select aussie for the situation.

But I do see some issues. I know a few aussies with anxiety issues for one. If you wanted a hard bullet proof breed I'm not sure an aussie would ever be my first choice. Be very very careful with picking your lines if you go ahead.

The other issue I see is the other working breeds this dog will play with, will the dog actually play with them or are they actually working working dogs?

If they aren't true working dogs and are available to play, 1: will your dogs be compatable and WANT to play, 2: will they want to keep playing with enough intensity day after with constant access or end up just laying around like normal yard dogs.

If any of the above scenarios happen will you still be able to give the dog enough exercise AND mental stimulation. There are different levels of drive in Aussies. I really don't like it when people think of them as the "easier" working dog. They are different to Border Collies in how they think and act, but they may not be "easier".

I suggest you meet a few, and not only the ones at shows, as they are always nice, calm and seem to be on there best behaviour, Go to some agility comps or even better, a training club where they are still in training. Talk to the owners and breeders about what each individual dog is like at home. How much exercise, training etc each person has to do to keep each particular dog happy.

Some are fairly lazy, some are a bit nutso.

Yep, Lisa has said it all. I am one of those people with a anxious Aussie. He is the most wonderful, loyal, intelligent, gorgeous dog ( can you tell I love him just a little bit :D ) BUT he has his issues. People. He is really not keen on people he doesn't know, he is very nervous. barks like crazy if people come to the house or try and approach him on the street. After much work he can now walk past people when out on walks but does not like it if they to stop and talk. Oddly enough there have been a few random strangers who he has bounded up to say hello to but that just him being the crazy unpredictable dog he is :laugh:

Another problem I have with him is chasing other dogs or cats. Again I have worked and worked and worked on his recall and he is fantastic as long as there are no other dogs around. Thankfully I have a deserted beach to take him for off lead romps but I am always vigilant and will recall him if I see another dog. He's not at all aggressive but I will not have him barrelling up to a strange dog. Potentially dangerous for him and not at all polite. :( Oh and once he's on lead if the other dog is walking he will walk past no problem but if the dog is running. He will lose it. He will literally scream because he wants to chase the dog. It is an awful awful sound :(

Having said all this there are plenty of Aussies out there with wonderful stable temperaments and they are a gorgeous, gorgeous breed. If you want Bomb proof maybe you could look for an older dog where you have a better chance of knowing what you are getting?

Good luck in your search and, most importantly, do not rush into any decisions.

Dame Aussie - Yes I know an Aussie would require daily exercise, would walk/paddock/daily frisbee/ball not be enough? In that case probably not the dog for me. The destructiveness as pups I've read about and have no issue with that in any breed because they grow out of it, I'm just less keen on a lifetime of it. Thanks for the heads up on the anxiety in some of them.

They really need mental stimulation as much, if not more, than physical expertise. They have a very sharp brain and need to use it :)

I agree with LisaCC, pick your lines carefully. Talk to as many breeders as you can and go watch Aussies at trials, shows, etc.

Maybe think about a mature Aussie with an established temperament rather than a puppy.

The situation you described would suit my Aussie just fine, as she is more on the laid-back, whatever goes side, happy to veg out on the couch for a day or be on the go at a moments notice, BUT she is a dime in a dozen, diamond in the rough, and I know plenty of Aussies that are very high strung and needs lots of stimulation. Even with her we train every day and work in multiple disciplines - they need to use their brains. We also do hydro every week and go hiking on weekends.

Even my girl has slight anxiety / confidence issues - nothing bad or unmanageable thank god but I can't see her wanting to go play with strange dogs often. Aussies are very people focused. They are super smart and they do need a lot of time and effort. If you wanted to do advanced obedience an Aussie will suit but if you are inexperienced make sure you get lots of help - Aussies don't tend to enjoy repetitive work and may get bored quickly.

One more thing, I'm not sure how much Chinese Cresteds shed, but the Aussie is a whole different world of shedding entirely!!!! If you are not prepared to have fur caught between your teeth when you eat... don't get an Aussie LOL!

Edited by silentchild

The other thing to think about with Aussies and probably any working breed. Is can you deal with a dog that may be in all likely hood smarter than you? laugh.gif

They are manipulative things and may end up training you instead!

I'm currently dog sitting an adult bitch, and while she is "mature" and my boy is still an "adolescent". The difference in activity levels are pretty big. A huge difference is that she has no off switch. I mention this because a lot on websites mention this as a big bonus for Aussies over other working breeds, but you need to train it in. I'm not entirely sure this has anything to do with her breeding either. I think it's how she's been raised, she's very manipulative.

You need to keep on top of them. They are smart dogs and will take advantage of you!

Edited by LisaCC

Thanks for your replies everyone! I really appreciate this :)

- Mental stimulation: Yes! Very important from everything I've read and I would be happy to provide this for any dog I end up with. Part of my huge draw to the Aussies is that sharp mind and being able to direct it towards fun things for us both.

- My own activity levels: While not very active currently, I have no problems tailoring my days to providing activity for the dog I choose. Being a couch potato isn't quite the level of health I wish to stay at *laughs*

- Shedding: Not much of a problem to me. My cats already provide this service, and picking fur out of my food/teeth/clothing is a daily thing already.

Thank you for all the input. If I do decide to go ahead with an Aussie I will be very cautious and do my research into lines and talk to breeders. I admit my heart just melts whenever I see them but I want to be responsible and realistic about being able to provide a good life for one. I'm also open towards taking on an adult who's temperament has already been established.

Lisa CC - Yes I worry about them outsmarting me for sure! The very things I love about them seems to be the things that may end up being a huge problem if I find I can't deal with it. It's such a tough call.

Miru, I see you're in Vic. Why don't you come to the Dog Lovers show in May, the Aussie club will be having a stand there. I will be working the stand along with other fellow Aussie owners and enthusiasts, who will be very happy to talk to you more about the breed plus you get to meet some gorgeous Aussies.