What Shampoo Will Make My Dog Smell Delicious?

Hi all,

I washed my new (18 month old) pooch for the first time today, I used a puppy shampoo from the supermarket. Exelpet brand I think. She's come up soft and fluffy, but she doesn't smell very good. I thought of putting some lavendar essential oil into her bath water, but I know you can't use essential oils willy nilly, and didn't know if it would be safe. Is there a doggy shampoo that will make my pooch smell delicious? Also, her hair is clipped very short now, but as her Maltese hair gets a bit longer, will I need to use conditioner? I don't know if there is dog conditioner.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favs are aloveen shampoo and conditioner and the squirt shampoo and conditioner and after the bath i use the squirt detangler and brush through, all of these smell great. I also sometimes use the Lustre-aid cologne, it lasts for ages and smells lovely.

I have 4 malteses....and I use essential oils diluted on their final rinse...no problem at all though the smell is not as strong as scented shamp.

Some mention cond is no good for the skin, but some does it ok. As long as daily brushing u dun spray any more creme rinse just use filtered or mineral water, and stick to cond on baths only, then I think even when your dog coat is short, it should be ok.

I've used plush puppy b4, but dun find them fabulous in terms of softness and whitening. If u want absolutely scented, u can try les pooch...though I dunno where u can get them in AU. :-)

Aloveen fan here. Be careful of the cheap stuff (such as Exelpet) most of them have soap which will strip any top spots from your dog, plus off course over dry pups skin causing itchiness etc.

Is there a doggy shampoo that will make my pooch smell delicious?

What do you think "delicious" smells like?

I think your dog may have a different opinion :rainbowbridge:

Agree with the votes for Aloveen.

I love the smell of Fido's puppy shampoo. I don't usually use shampoo and prefer to use Fido's Itch-Free rinse instead.

Squirt also smells nice but I haven't used that for ages.

I love the smell of Fido's puppy shampoo. I don't usually use shampoo and prefer to use Fido's Itch-Free rinse instead.

I vote for Fido's too - both the puppy shampoo & Free-Itch rinse gets used all the time in this household as they smell lovely :rainbowbridge: .

We love Aloveen in this house too! Makes them smell divine. We always get comments on how good the pooches smell after we've bathed them with it! :laugh:

Hey imagine how good the dogs smell to themselves! Considering their sense of smell is what, hundreds or thousands (not sure?) times better than ours!!! :rofl:

Edited by cassie the bernese lover

Aloveen shampoo and conditioner - the only way to go!

If we happen to get the mobile dog washer in I make her use my products instead of what they have.

Ironically she admitted that she only uses aloveen on her own dogs.