Apple Cider Vinegar

I used to feed it to my horses, I doubt the dogs would eat anything with it in it, it's got quite a potent aroma.

ETA: For the horses it's benefical for treatment and prevention of arthritis, and a digestive aid. It could also be mixed with other common supplement for an easy and natural electrolyte replacement.

Edited by Hazz

I put a capfull in my dogs dinner everyday. Here is an article I have on it.

The Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

The following article, written by Lona Watts. appeared in “The Highlande” which us published by the West Highland Terrier Club of Northern Ohio, Inc.

“On the shelves of most bookstores is a famous doctor’s bestseller entitled “Vermont Folk Medicine’. Dr D.C. Jarvis MD author shares with his readers the practices of folk medicine, which research goes far back into time using the natural vitality of honey, kelp and apple cider vinegar.

Kelp is a natural and valuable vitamin additive, which I have noticed is contained in numerous vitamins for both human and animal consumption. Honey is a natural relaxant, and yet provides energy at the same time. Marvelous for the Show dog on show day to say nothing of the value to the owners. But most important, we found were Dr Jarvis’s findings on apple cider vinegar.

An interesting experience in the hook involved a herd of cattle that had been non-productive for their owners. Out of 54 dairy cows, 23 had failed to start a new pregnancy. Dr Jarvis prescribed 2oz of apple cider vinegar to be placed over the food ration twice daily for both hulls and cows. The object of the apple cider vinegar says Dr Jarvis. with its potassium and associated mineral content was to create within the animal bodies the will for orderly growth and production of offspring. The vinegar ration was started November first and by the last week of February each of the 23 cows had started a pregnancy and delivered healthy strong calves.

An equally interesting story involved a kennel of Boxer dogs A dentist friend 01 mine raises Boxer dogs as a hobby and having a long list of people who wanted to buy pups, told me that ho had a serious problem in the fact that though he had 5 bitches in the kennel only one litter had been born in 12 months. On the folk medicine principle this was due to a deficiency of potassium and other minerals and it was suggested that once a day the ration of each dog be reinforced with one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. At the end of a month the breeder reported evidence that the apple cider vinegar had a chemical change in the dogs’ bodies their urine no longer stained the snow, but left it white. During the following year all 5 bitches produced litters.

The more I read of Dr Jarvis’s book the more I associated the folk medicine principle to all living things. The body (human and animal) requires potassium and its associated minerals found in leaves, apples, grapes and tree bark and so on and the body will go to great lengths to get it. Have you ever noticed children eat dirt? While this disgusts the adults it should be noted that earth contains large quantities of potassium. Horses chewed their stalls because the wood contained potassium, slopped when apple cider vinegar was added to their drinking water. We had a Westie bitch who chewed so many sticks, bark, limbs and dirt to say nothing of her wooden stall that I became frightened she would injury herself permanently with splinters. She ceased the senseless chewing when the apple cider vinegar was added to her drinking water.

Experiments on cows, goats, chickens, humans, when apple cider vinegar was added to their diet indicated abundant good health, rapid body growth because it is to the soft tissues what calcium is to the bones. There seems to be little doubt that it slows up the hardening process that threatens the blood vessel system. And, it was noted that animals fed vinegar before slaughtering proved to produce meat which was incredibly tender.

When we read of Dr Jarvis’s many experiments on the digestive system, kidneys and bladder after regular use of apple cider vinegar and the incredible improvements that it could cause, we immediately correlated this to urinary tract infection in dogs, After speaking to several vets, I was told kidney disease is the largest single diagnosed illness in and out of their offices today. Kidney disease such as nephritis etc can be insidious in nature causing extremely large amounts of damage before it is diagnosed. Many deaths in canines are a direct result of kidney failure. The kidneys are the filter system of the body and remove the impurities in the urine. Little by little they are used on one little infection after another until each and every cell is worn out. Death is the final result. Several vets with whom I spoke said the kidneys of a 6 year old canine are generally so worn out that they automatically put them on a prescription diet called KID kidney diet. And yet the animal on apple cider vineqar had urine which was absolutely clear and noticeably lacking in that extremely pungent odour. The normal condition of the urinary tract is acid. The trouble starts when it becomes alkaline and infections grow.

It is interesting to note that flies, mosquitoes and other flying insects do not seem to be attracted to the skin of animals on a daily ration of apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar is also a useful means of treating the obese dog. As with humans, obesity is the largest single cause of death in dogs in the USA. There is a well known diet for humans which calls for apple cider vinegar, vitamin B and lecithin.

The remedy most often given in his book for sore throat is apple cider vinegar. Dr Jarvis writes that much to his surprise he learned that this treatment could cure a streptococci sore throat in about 24 hours. He found symptoms were often gone by the time he received the lab reports back with a positive culture on streptococci. This also applies to tonsils. All Terriers, especially Westies, are often plagued with tonsillitis. The relationship of potassium to mucus is described in an experiment on a diary herd. They were troubled with wet noses some of which had stains on their faces causing them to look as though they had been crying. Since potassium is insatiably thirsty being a magnet for water, apple cider vinegar was prescribed to the herd immediately. Wetness of their eyes and nose cleared up right away and coughing ceased.

The daily intake of potassium should be increased as we grow older. As a rule twice as much potassium as sodium should be taken into the body to retain a normal balance. Potassium and sodium carry on a lifelong duel in the body lighting over the supply of fluid in the body. When sodium appears to be the winner the transfer of fluid from inside the body cells to the outside body cells takes place. When potassium appears to be the winner the transfer is in the other direction, Potassium cannot afford to be lost because it is the one mineral so necessary for proper performance by the nervous system.

The use of antibiotics can cause a sterilization of the bowel or an alkaline condition which affects the life arid health of humans and animals alike. Dogs given antibiotics over a long period of time seem to often develop fungal infections. There appears to be a correlation between the bowel and the body’s ability to fight fungus. To avoid problems if your dog is being given antibiotics for a long period of time feed him yoghurt (which I think you’ll find he will love and also add apple cider vinegar to his drinking water. This should help to offset any possibility of trouble.

The most amazing part of Dr Jarvis’s findings is that they work. With the use of apple cider vinegar in our kennel we find the “misses” which occur so often with Westies have all but eliminated. The urine our dogs pass is clear and devoid of pungent odours. Our dogs seem to stay healthier and really love the taste of apple cider vinegar in their food or water. On particularly hot days, the vinegar seems to help quench their thirst when added to their water. During the winter months we add it to their food. During a period of 6 months, however, we did not use the apple cider vinegar and found the mortality rate of our puppies increased alarmingly, the milk supply of our females diminished at about the time when the pups were 3 weeks old, one of our mothers developed a mastitis in one breast and one of our best breeding dogs missed.

PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase apple cider vinegar BE SURE it is APPLE CIDER VINEGAR not just flavoured. READ the label carefully, the flavoured is usually in small print.”

(Reprinted from “American Express”Reprinted from “‘Tiki Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club Inc Newsletter”

Reprinted from “Hound Sound” the Auckland Hound Club Newsletter)

Edited by badboyz

I use it all the time.

Combined with Kelp it boosts the immune system by optimising the function of the glandular system.

I also use it on any skin problems, scratches, insect bites anything at all.

I use ordinary Vinegar for cleaning the floors etc ACV is too expensive for that LOL

I also use it every day, on both the horses and dogs and they both love it. I have found the best results on my horse who suffers from Queensland Itch, after years of expensive creams and sprays I decided to try apple cider vinegar, viola, no itch last summer!

I also second the Kelp in both the horses and dogs diet :p

EFS

Edited by aquaticmalamute

We use ACV all the time internally and externally. Two teaspoons in bowl of water all the time detoxifies your dogs system, boosts energy levels, acts as a natural weight loss by making the digestive system more efficient. Makes the dog less palatable to fleas and ticks etc. We also use it on dogs that have rashes etc. It is also good for humans too in treating high blood pressure, gout, arthritis, lowers colesterol and can benefit Diabetics.

Fantastic stuff but do get the good double strength with the mother (sediment) as the other cheaper brands from supermarkets have been pastureised and are not as effective but better than none.

Cheers Chris

Apple Cider Vinegar ( unpasteurised) is as well as being very good for the digestive system is extremely high in potassium.

This is extremely important for bitches when whelping and I can highly reccomend it for daily use on all dogs :laugh:

P.S I second kelp and seaweed too! :)

Oh and cod liver oil -

ACV internally - 1 - 2 tsp mixed in with her raw meat/sardines/tuna etc.

It's cleared up her yeast infection in her ears and is (slowly) clearing up her tearstaining. Started it for the tearstaining but the ears were an unexpected benefit :laugh:

She was previously on eardrops 1 - 2 times per week and once a month she'd still have an infection. Had yeast infections for years before I got her (vet assumed due to the state of her ears at her first check up after I had her) and had it recurring for almost 2 years since I've had her. Been on ACV for about 2 months now and no infection at all since I started it.

Now all I do is pluck her ears nightly while I'm grooming her.

Lots of threads on it - do a search :laugh:

Use a splash or two in their water - if they don't have a choice they will drink it. Just build up slowly.

In the final rinse when shampooing - gets the suds out.

Soak a bone in it for a while - it will go rubbery.

It's mildly antiseptic, so you can bathe any open cuts with it.

Clears out gunky ears.

Lots of other uses.

Lots of threads on it - do a search :laugh:

Use a splash or two in their water - if they don't have a choice they will drink it. Just build up slowly.

In the final rinse when shampooing - gets the suds out.

Soak a bone in it for a while - it will go rubbery.

It's mildly antiseptic, so you can bathe any open cuts with it.

Clears out gunky ears.

Lots of other uses.

I use it for all of the above too. A benefit I found for putting it in the drinking water is that it also prevents tartar buildup.

Where do you buy it from?

Health food store for organic unfiltered mother (about nine bux for a litre) - as well as being better quality, it's much more palatable than the filtered brands that supermarkets usually stock - sorry tramissa!