Fasting A Dog

4 Paws

Hi,

Yes I do it with all my dogs and with any past rescue/foster, I also do it if a behaviour is REALLY bad.Though I don't do it till they're over about 4 months old.Many do it right from eight weeks old....

I don't recommend this for the sick,whelping or lactating though....

Edited by Delkerabo

I do! Every saturday or sunday depending on when I happen to forget to feed her! Ella's on a raw diet and the only way to get her to eat her veggies is to starve her for a day first!!! :thumbsup:

How could you 'forget' to give your dog his dinner :thumbsup:

Miine are on a raw diet too. It's all a matter of getting the balance right so they enjoy the vegies in their meal. I think if I tried to feed blended vegies only with no meat content that my dogs wouldn't be too keen either.

Not me ,see no benefits in it & you just end up with a dog going silly due to being hungry.

Agreed Showdog :rofl: Our dogs are domesticated not living in the wild. I wonder how many of the proponents of fasting a dog fast themselves for a day. I just can't see the benefit in letting a domesticated dog go hungry.

edited to remove a comment

Edited by cavNrott

Hi,

Yes I do it with all my dogs and with any past rescue/foster, I also do it if a behaviour is REALLY bad.Though I don't do it till they're over about 4 months old.Many do it right from eight weeks old....

I don't recommend this for the sick,whelping or lactating though....

I'm probably not understanding correctly, but you don't feed then if they have been "bad"?

I do, once a week.

Cleans out their system really well.

Do it too all dogs that come here except puppies.

ETA: I think that if you are doing the BARF diet your dog should be getting 2 meals a day, so really missing one meal of that two wont kill them.

Edited by tollersowned

we don't really do it consciously. if we run out of food they miss out soemtimes.

But Harry gets sooky and grumpy when he's hungry, we're feding him less to get some weight of him and he isn't very happy

My dog will reguarly leave some of his food if he's not hungry... so if he doesn't finish his breakfast then he gets to eat the leftovers of breakfast for dinner.

Seems to work well... he gets enough incidental food from training and if he is still hungry he gets into the treats he has squirrelled away in his little hideyholes around the house. :rofl:

I do! Every saturday or sunday depending on when I happen to forget to feed her! Ella's on a raw diet and the only way to get her to eat her veggies is to starve her for a day first!!! :rofl:

Mine are so good with their veggies, they will all even polish off leftover green salad. If they don't eat a particular veggie I assume they actually don't like the taste of it.

I don't fast them as living with a hungry dalmatian is like living with a pirauna.