Best 'bad' Food?

kiwioz

We feed both dogs a dry food only diet (with chews and treats). Currently Cal eats Royal Canin Mature, and Finn eats Eukanuba Puppy. Financially we're finding this a little hard to maintain at the moment - things will be much better in a few months time so we were considering temporarily changing them to a cheaper food in the short term. So I was wondering what the pick of the supermarket foods is? We were looking at either Supercoat or Purina One - or is there another out there thats better? Any advice greatly apreciated, thanks! :rofl:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now feed my dogs Purina one as they stopped eating Euk there is nothing wrong with it and I still get s,all poo's just make sure that you introduce it gradually. Best idea is read the contents on the bags.

mine do not like supercoat at all

Diesel won't touch Purina One - I think that is the only thing he won't eat :rofl:

I feed him Optimum Light at the moment - poos are pretty good - smallish and don't really smell. I found with Supercoat his poos were enormous and very stinky :rofl:

Haven't heard of Optimum - how does it compare price-wise? Oh actually I may have seen it - is it sort of silver and in the supermarket?

Don't particularly enormous, very stinky poos! :rofl: maybe we need to avoid supercoat!

Both my dogs like Optimum and Purina One on the occasions they have had it, and it was fine.

Punrina One is normally around $5 more expensive than Optimum from memory, and yes, optimum is the silver bag and purina one is the redish bag.

CHeck out the Optimum website. They are giving refunds for up to 3 bags of 4kg bags per household (100% of purchase price). After that you also get some free bags after so many purchases. There is also the Purina challenge but not sure if that's still going on. Every little bit helps when you need to cut back!

Purina One were also refunding the price of a 4kg bag- check the website- I got a couple of bags.

Both small and large dog liked it. No poo issues. My small dog tolerated SuperCoat fine, but the large breed pup didn't (loose+ poo), so I changed. I also feed raw foods about 50:50, sometimes less raw.

I wouldn't cook pet mince from Lennards as it contains bones. Generally it is minced up carcasses and anything else that chuck in.

I make my own Barf and it generally works out to be between $4-$4.50 a kilo. which includes human grade meat, raw meaty bones, fruit and veg, and supplements (kelp, flaxseed, fish oil, garlic etc)

Edited cause: I can't bloody type today :)

Edited by isiss

How about cooking up a mix of pet mince from Lennards, mixed vegies and rice/pasta - this can be a very cheap options - I could get 4 feeds for Angus out of $7 (using home brand pasta and vegies).

Feed the Lennards mince raw with vegies etc., It's not for cooking because it contains bones and they can cause problems if fed to the dog cooked.

In my kennel I find that many 'little fluffies' go mad over chicken carcass IF you first smash it to bits with a meat cleaver. I prefer to start with carcasses because it's much clearer what you're feeding. I think some places, perhaps some Lennarts branches as well, throw the skin and fat into the mincer, which could end out with a pretty fatty mess. Not to mention guts.

As for cooking Lennarts mince, I beg to differ. The problem with cooked bones is that they splinter. If they are previously ground reasonably fine, I think that takes care of the splintering problem. (Happy to be corrected if someone has evidence to the contrary.) I am more comfortable with cooked chicken mince than raw -- particularly for pups -- because chicken is notorious for carrying Salmonella.

As for cooking Lennarts mince, I beg to differ. The problem with cooked bones is that they splinter. If they are previously ground reasonably fine, I think that takes care of the splintering problem. (Happy to be corrected if someone has evidence to the contrary.) I am more comfortable with cooked chicken mince than raw -- particularly for pups -- because chicken is notorious for carrying Salmonella.

Perhaps you can cook some Lennards pet mince and then feel through it with your fingers. You'll find that the bone bits are very hard and quite sharp. They could do some damage to the intestines. I wouldn't take the risk.