Kennel Cough Passed On To Vaccinated Dogs

Mushaka

I have recently taken in some pups,who as usual from the shelter came with KC. they have passed it on to my dogs who are vaccinated!

When Lewis first came to me,7mths or so ago,he had a case of it,and we have since vaccinated him agaisnt it. It didnt pass to the others back then.

But now,i have a family full of coughing hounds!! 3 of which are fully immunized to include KC. C5 for them all.

Is this common?

Yes it is common, the vaccine is only doing one strain, and there are many strains of it.

I have only ever known vaccinated dogs to get it LOL..........I dont bother with the vaccine, I would rather my dogs got it & got over it, like we get over a Flu......Cough syrup is the treatment. If they go off their food, make some chicken soup & let them lap it.

There are many strains of the kc virus. Just like the human flu vaccine, the chances of developing the virus are not eradicated with vaccination. The severity of the symptoms are however reduced, regardless of the strain, if the dog is vaccinated.

All rescuers and foster carers should have their dogs vaccinated against kc.

Edited to add:

....I dont bother with the vaccine, I would rather my dogs got it & got over it, like we get over a Flu......

And just like the human flu, it can be deadly for the young, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems. I would still vaccinate. ;)

Edited by Puggles

There's one worse than vaccination not working and that's the vaccination giving them KC. :( That happened to one of mine, and it passed it on to a whole litter of pups. I know this has happened to others as well. I still vaccinate for KC. But I wish there was some way to lean on the suppliers to provide a better vaccine.

I have only ever known vaccinated dogs to get it

All three of my dogs have it at the moment, passed on from a stray dog (I HATE stray dogs :laugh:) through the gate. None of my lot have been anywhere near other dogs for weeks, so it could have only happened that way and the strays are everywhere :o

Kovu and Daegon are not vaccinated for it, Jaida is...Jaida was the last to come down with it, but she has it none the less.

yuk..i hate the thought of us GIVING it to them via vaccines etc..

I must Say i have noted that my vaccinated dogs already seem to be over it.. the pups are lingering a little longer but the girls on the mend and the boy should be nearing the final stages too by now.

Vaccinating for KC is IMO a waste of money. Everybody I know who has vaccinated their dogs for it have had their dogs come down with KC shortly after. As said previously there are a number of strains of KC. Sorry to hear that your dogs have it but it seems to be doing the rounds in a number of states at present.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

For the first time ever I vaccinated my pups with C5 vaccine last year and they both contracted canine cough three months later. One of them was ok, but the other was quite sick for a few days, so I don't subscribe to the theory that vaccinated dogs have milder symptoms or recover more quickly. In the past I have only ever vaccinated with C3 and this is what I'll be doing in the future.

I have always vacinated my dogs for kennel cough and have never had any problems

For those that dont vaccinate how do you board your dogs of go to training

I think Bindi has kennel cough :eek: it sounds like she is trying to vomit, but nothing comes out. She is fine withing herself, eating, running around, just sometimes she makes this cough kind of sound.

Bindi is vaccinated, but what I find strange is she has not been anywhere for a while, ( as my back is bad, can not take her for her walks) probably a few weeks. She is an inside dog. Only going out to go to the toilet.

How would she catch this???? :eek:

Kennel "cough" can be caused by several different viruses or bacteria. The C5 contains the Bordatella and the canine Parainfluenza.

There are other viruses that cause the coughing but you cant be sure that if you have a dog that catches it soon after (3-5 days after the vaccine you could say it WAS from the vaccine) didnt pick up another form of it. Vets can also misdiagnose and provide the wrong medication, OR two separate cough infections can set in at once (hence some cases 'lingering')

If the dog has a reasonable immune response to a bacteria/virus then the next time it sees that strain it should have a shorter and milder illness, if anything at all. If it really hits the animal you can assume the vaccine didnt cover that strain or the animals immune response was not sufficient for some reason.

When I first fostered Maddy picked up a couple of mild doses of KC from the first 2 or 3 foster dogs.

It seems to have built up her immunity and she has not had it since even if the foster dogs do.

She was always fully vaccinated.

Vaccinating for KC is IMO a waste of money. Everybody I know who has vaccinated their dogs for it have had their dogs come down with KC shortly after. As said previously there are a number of strains of KC. Sorry to hear that your dogs have it but it seems to be doing the rounds in a number of states at present.

my VET actually told me that vaccinating against KC was a waste of time & money - as there are several strains and the vaccination does not provide long-lasting protection in any case.

my VET actually told me that vaccinating against KC was a waste of time & money - as there are several strains and the vaccination does not provide long-lasting protection in any case.

You can find vets that will tell you this, and vets that will contradict them, just as you will find vets who tell you bones are a big no no and vets who are all for BARF diets.

I wish some one would do some good research and narrow down the room for debate on the C5 issue.

My dogs are vaccinated to C5 level. I take in a lot of foster dogs, many of whom have had kennel cough on arrival (they have been through a 2 week quarantine period beforehand). None of my dogs have ever caught it but I have heard of the odd case where one has.

One of my dogs isn't able to be vaccinated due to being on chemo but perhaps that kills off other germs anyway?

Edited by dogmad