Title Change: Non-dominant Newf!

Stewie_the_Frenchie

Best of luck on Thursday Newnewf. Just found the thread.

I feel for you as I have been there more than once ...As with all breeds , there is different temperaments within individual Newfs. My Newf Floyd is a dream, so sweet and never a problem , he is 1.

His litter brother however.. :swear: Oh a nightmare at 5 and 6 months! I had big black bruises all up and down my arms from his "mouthing" People would actually ask what had happened to me!! He was very excitable and wanted all the attention all of the time, good or bad. His behaviour became better with more one on one long walks, and I got him swimmimg in the pool to exercise him more without weight bearing, to get rid of the energy and basic obedience training and VERY firm verbal repremands.

We also had some major behavioural issues with one of the young girls, she was so boisterious and naugty but still so sweet, I love her to bits but she has been a handful. She also was very distructive, distroying a lap top, chewed the wiring on the dog trailer two days after we had it rewired, chewed up the underground water pipes, we wont even go to the day she learnt to escape from her crate in the van..... :dropjaw: I am pleased to say at 12 months she settled down a whole lot and it happened seemingly over night???

Consistancy is the key to solving most problems, but the question is 'what do I do consistantly to start with?' As every dog and person is different what works for one may not for the other.

Best of luck with the trainer and dont ever give up on the wonderful Turtle, he will come through it to be the sweet boy you belive him to be. Be sure to let us know what the trainer says.. I might need some help with my new baby Keeper, he is already a rasal at 14 weeks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Doggrooma...I hope that good guidance will end his wicked ways :wave:

Ashka1 - thank you for that insight into your experience with the breed, it's nice to know I'm not the only one...sometimes I think, oh what have I done to this breed?! I should have been more aware of variables within a breed before I made the purchase, just to be more prepared.

I will let you guys know this arvo how it goes, what the diagnosis is!

We touched down in Melbourne late last night...Turtle was a bit dazed and confused at what was going on, but had a very sound night's sleep at my dad's. He hasn't seen the ciy and lots of lights and cars since he was a pup (I doubt he remembers that), so it's all very new for him!

In the last couple of days before we left, he became really "cheeky" again! Not too much of the dominance (OH and I just weren't allowing it to even start), but definitely the teenager was coming out...disobedient!!! I think he knew something was going on though with the suitcases and cleaning. Not an excuse, but could have contributed to the outburst of adolescence!

Ok, will see you guys either this arvo or tomorrow morning...big city xmas time now, busy busy busy! :laugh:

Thanks Doggrooma...I hope that good guidance will end his wicked ways :p

Ashka1 - thank you for that insight into your experience with the breed, it's nice to know I'm not the only one...sometimes I think, oh what have I done to this breed?! I should have been more aware of variables within a breed before I made the purchase, just to be more prepared.

I will let you guys know this arvo how it goes, what the diagnosis is!

We touched down in Melbourne late last night...Turtle was a bit dazed and confused at what was going on, but had a very sound night's sleep at my dad's. He hasn't seen the ciy and lots of lights and cars since he was a pup (I doubt he remembers that), so it's all very new for him!

In the last couple of days before we left, he became really "cheeky" again! Not too much of the dominance (OH and I just weren't allowing it to even start), but definitely the teenager was coming out...disobedient!!! I think he knew something was going on though with the suitcases and cleaning. Not an excuse, but could have contributed to the outburst of adolescence!

Ok, will see you guys either this arvo or tomorrow morning...big city xmas time now, busy busy busy! :crazy:

Good Good luck to you. I've been following this post avidly, having always been of the opinion that newfies are the perfect dog. :rofl::rofl: I know you will sort this out and it is very hard work. I had a similar problem with my viz. for the first 12 months, (OMG hell) and got help. She's fantastic now!!!! I'm interested in what you say about breed variables. I think sometimes, even with all our research etc., there is not a lot of general info out there on what CAN happen and that breed descriptions don't necc. apply to every dog of that breed. I sort of did know this but had never had a bad exp. with any dog so felt rather secure about choice of breed. A shock when I got a fear biter etc. centitout was thinking of doing a dog book at one time, I love the idea as an HONEST book would be great. Too many dog articles etc. breed books, only state the positive things, not the %$$&^& stuff. I love newfies and Turtle (great name!) is gorgeous. Keep him in his place, if he is like my viz, give him an inch and he'll take a mile!!! :rofl::rofl:

Good luck this afternoon! Remember to enjoy your chistmas and dont fret about it, he WILL be fine as he obviously has an owner who is doing the best for him. Let me know if you want photos from the newf specialty show.

Hi everyone,

sorry I took so long...xmas party last night :rolleyes: :cry:

Well, Tamara came yesterday to work with Turtle.

Good news, he is not a dominant dog...just a very big dog wanting to have fun! It is such a huge relief to know that he is not struggling for leadership, he just wants to know what is expected of him. Tamara was excellent at explaining what goes on in a dog's head in order to back up her methods of training. Everything she said made a lot of sense. She told me that Turtle needs corrections for wrong actions, and that just positive rewards on their own doesn't work for him, he needs a reason to do what I am asking. She gave me some strategies and thinks it will only be a matter of 10-14 days before he is the gentle newfoundland I wanted.

OH and I have just come back in from doing some of this training with him, and it seemed to go quite well. I need to remember, he has gotten away with a lot in the past with us, and it's a bit of a shock for him that we are all of a sudden taking charge. He is definitely responding.

The next couple of weeks we will be working on this with him, and I will keep you guys updated along the way.

The amount of support I have recieved from the DOLers has been amazing, and I'm not sure how I would have coped without your advice and support...thank you all very much for caring about the crazy outback woman and her crazy snowdog!

:thumbsup::)

Watch this space....

Edited by newnewf

Hi newnewf,

I met your beautiful Turtle yesterday and after following this thread let me tell you I think he is beautiful. He was sooooo well behaved, so much so that my daughter totally fell in love with him and swears he is the dog for her. :eek: Underdog are fantastic, Tamara is helping us out with Diesel & she'll get on top of Turtle too! Wishing you both a very merry Christmas and I will stay tuned here for more on the lovely Turtle! :o

Thanks for the positive comments- i think Turtle is going to be just fine! He is a lovely boy, just in need of some guidance and boudaries which newnewf is more than capable of doing! :rofl:

And to all the Turtle lovers.. I got to meet AND play with him!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I thought I might let you know how Turtle is doing now that we are back in the Kimberley after our Christmas break.

As you know, we saw Cosmolo for some professional training, and it made all the difference in the world. We now know Turtle is not a dominant dog - he is just very big and like to play...sometimes a little roughly! The corrections we have been using have worked and now we rarely have to correct, but just let out an "ugh!!" and he knows to back off. We've also trained him with the word "out!", which has helped a lot when he gets in our faces when we're lying on the couch!

He is turning into the sweetest dog, he has a lovely gentle temperament and a big heart. I feel like he loves us more and more each day and vice versa. He's becoming a georous sook, and loves his cuddles now which I love too.

He is also becoming a lot calmer around the kids which is fantastic. He licks their faces, but there's no jumping up or nipping anymore.

Thanks for everyone's amazing support, it helped us so much to get through this tricky time.

Here's some long awaited pics of the boy who is now 8 1/2 months old. They're not great, the flash is not his friend!

25thBirthday030.jpg

25thBirthday019.jpg

25thBirthday049.jpg

25thBirthday046.jpg

25thBirthday062.jpg

Hi Newnewf,

I have been wondering how you were getting along, glad to hear it is working out for you.

I must say, the shaggy ears and fluffy feet are a great look.Very cute :mad

My new baby newf Keepa was 6 months old the other day, hard to believe, he is growing up so fast, still a bit of a rascal at times but basically a good pup.

big newfy hugs for Turtle (still love the name)