Frontline

Is there a reason why my dog acts strange when I go to put frontline on him? He runs away and won't come back for as long as he can see it in my hand.

I'm assuming he's just playing silly buggers (he used to do this when I went to put a head halter on him because he hated it) but just wondering if there could be something more to it?

There is no rash or hair loss or anything like that where I put it on so I'm assuming it's just behavioural... when I finally do put it on him he runs and then lies down and seems to sulk for a bit.

Anyone else's dogs protest like this? I'm assuming he's just being a ratbag :banghead:

Edited by Baby Dragon

The container gives dire warnings about getting the stuff on your own skin and you put the dogs reaction down as behavioral? Use it if you have to but don't expect the dog to like it. It is a deadly poison.

Edited by Ashka

generally it is just the smell of the product,dogs noses are much better than ours :banghead:

I use it on all my pets and they have the same reaction but have found if i put it on while they are having their dinner they rarely notice,as food is more important.

eta I have been using frontline for the past 9 yrs with no ill effects.

Edited by sheree_e4

YOu are putting poison on your dog

I used one of those once the girls were fine but it sent Oliver nuts and it went on for about 8 weeks turned him from a quiet gentle dog into a raving lunny, the only thing we had to wait for it to get out of his system, I will never use it again.

it is like he had a reaction to it.

Vinnie and Cooper are the same. As soon as I open it they're off and avoid coming near me big time. I dont use it that often as they have never had fleas and not in flea infested areas.

All mine do that, I put it down to the fact that they know it is poison & is causing them long term harm , I spose they wonder why I want to kill them & thats why they sulk or hide & act like they are being punished etc.......

Ermmm.. I do hope you were saying this tongue in cheek! :banghead: dogs cannot reason in this manner.

They may, however ,like a lot of dogs, find the smell of it pretty nasty , and not want it anywhere near them!

sometimes you havta use these things (ie to stop ticks killing your dog...) They may not like it but I hardly think it is killing them... prob just dont like the wet feeling on the back or the smell. Just give lotsa treats wth it and he'll be fine!!

Pebbles- Do you stop everything that your dog sulks about? coz that means ur dog has a big one up on you...

kim21 - I wasn't talking about the 'sulk' reaction but the physical reactions that some appear to have!

Fortunately my guys seldom get the sulks about anything! Their 'not happy' reaction is generally more the vocal sort and that quickly gets stomped on :banghead:

I don't use frontline or advantage or anything like that on my dogs, but understand why people do use it! I have had to recently put tick collars on my dogs due to the huge number of ticks around at the moment, we also lost one to ticks. I hate using the collars as well because they do put poison on your dogs skin, and when I pat & play with my dogs I know I am coming into contact with the chemical as well, but what do you do? Use no chemical and risk the dogs getting a tick!!! I only use the collars while the tick season is bad and as soon as it cools down and ticks dwindle I will be taking them off!

As for the OP's dogs reaction to the frontline, I think it is probably smell. I put frontline on my dogs once and got some on my own skin and it made me feel really weird (shaky, a bit panicky and generally unwell for awhile). I don't think dogs would relate a weird feeling to the actual applying of frontline, but maybe who knows!!!

Thankfully I'm not in a tick area and as for fleas - seldom see any and if/when I do they are treated on an individual basis - bathing the dogs, spraying all areas etc. I'm just not keen on all these preventatives - why use them when 99% of the time there's nothing to prevent! I know people say they use them and don't have fleas - how do they know they would have fleas if they didn't use these products?

Ticks are another thing, no tick problems here!

Thankfully I'm not in a tick area and as for fleas - seldom see any and if/when I do they are treated on an individual basis - bathing the dogs, spraying all areas etc. I'm just not keen on all these preventatives - why use them when 99% of the time there's nothing to prevent! I know people say they use them and don't have fleas - how do they know they would have fleas if they didn't use these products?

Ticks are another thing, no tick problems here!

I would say the exact same thing.

I have never had a problem with fleas and don't use any preventative, although I do have a bottle of Neem Oil spray for dogs as I have spoken to a lot of people who swear by it for flea problems.

It's all natural and if the dog licks it off his coat, it's no problem as it acts as a blood purifier as well........so the lady on the Ausneem website told me...

Ticks, I don't know as we don't have a problem here (thankfully).

I have no idea why he's behaving that way.

YOu have to be careful when attributing human reasoning and behaviour to dogs.

IMO it's not worth the risk of paralysis tick to stop using it.

I live in a high tick area and the dogs love the beach which is surrounded by scrub.

I don't use the spot-on fortnightly year round, but do in the warmer months. Also check dogs regularly. Most ticks are found forward of the collar.

An alternative is a tick collar.

Be wary of anything "natural"- doesn't necessarily mean it's gentler or less toxic. If something kills ticks, then it's got to have some potential side effects. If it doesn't, then I'd wonder how effective it was.

Thanks... yeah I'm not going to stop using it - he hasn't had any ill effects other than his behaviour before putting it on :o

Mind you, he has the exact same behaviour before I do other things he doesn't like such as clip his nails or give him a bath!

Seeing as he has not had any physical side effects, it is not worth the risk of ticks to stop using it.

I was just wondering if other peoples' dogs did the same thing when they see the packet.

Still interested in hearing from those people (Ashka? kimoliverelka? Cavandra?) who don't use Frontline because they said it's a 'poison'.. I'm interested in knowing what they use instead to prevent ticks, if anything.

Edited by Blossom

To the people who said they wouldn't use it on their dog because 'it is poison'... what do you use on your dog to protect from paralysis ticks?

Do you use anything?

Tick collars and inspection. Friends of ours down at the coast have tick collars on all their border collies.

We also have a dog that reacts poorly to those topical flea/tick treatments by the way, and it's one thing that convinced us to stop using the stuff.

There are too many weirdo cancers, thyroid and heart problems arising in dogs and cats these days, and I'm sure environment and diet is a big factor, especially for dogs who might already have a genetic predisposition to those problems. Putting poison on my dogs' skin is not something I'm prepared to do while there are less toxic alternatives.