Old Dog Problems

Things seem to be getting bad for our poor old Shep girl, she is finding it harder and harder to get up from a sitting/lying position, especially after lying down in the one spot for an extended period (like when she is watching tele with us :( ).

I'm wondering whether some glucosamine would help at all and how long would it be before it started helping her?

She's having trouble getting up and down from the couch as well and this morning I nearly cried when she was trying to get up to sit next to me and had to physically help her up :o

Any ideas much appreciated....

Sounds like the dreaded artheritus(Cant spell sorry) there are some good products on the market; also injections available ;check with your vet ;also warmth helps maybe a heated bed :there are some available @ the reject shop on special this week for $4o .oo would be ideal for older dog ;good luck let us know how you go please

Our friend has an old lab with the same problem - unfortunately Topsy had got to the stage where without the injections she just can't get up during the cold weather. The injections work wonders though - she's able to run a little at the moment. The heated bed they got her from the reject shop a few weeks ago helps too, but the vet didn't mention anything about glucosamine.

You could try cartrophen injections, usually they are very effective in most dogs. I would also give her Joint Guard and 1000mg fish oil capsules which are anti-inflammatory, one capsule per 10 kg.

Your vet will be able to advise you :laugh:

Thanks all :laugh:

It's horrible seeing her so immobilized, but it does mean that she has been getting spoilt alot more than usual lately (can't help it when she looks at us with the 'sad' eyes!) and she seems happier because of the extra cuddles etc.

I'll have a look at those heat beds, she's certainly not a chewer so would be fine for her. Our daughter did donate one of her very warm polar fleece blankets to her last night to put on her bed, so she should have been a bit cosier last night and from here on in.

Will take her to the vet next week and see what they suggest, the onset of it has come on fairly quickly so we hadn't worried too much until now.

If the onset is pretty quick perhaps she has blown a cruciate ligament or similar?

Although it has gotten pretty cold lately, and if it is arthritis catching up I can fully recommend Cartrophen injections (they work wonders for my old girl) and glucosamine supplements can never hurt. I use Sasha's Blend, and sometimes Joint Guard.

I fully appreciate how heart breaking it is to see them struggle. I went through the same thing when Chloe blew her cruciate ligaments and it was certainly heart wrenching to have to help her up and down when she could barely move. A couple of ops later, and the Cartrophen and joint supplements for arthritis has worked a treat and she bounds like a puppy.

Hope you are as fortunate!

Some dogs also get spurs growing in the lumbar/sacral area of the spine, (just like humans) causing immobility and pain. Also the spurs can break off etc. This could cause stiffness in the back legs. In this case I think an X-Ray of the lower spine could be helpful in assessing the condition. Joint support might help, but it may be that you need to start to consider (depending on the X-Rays) that your dog has limited time left and how best to manage it.

• 4 weeks later...

We've got her on glucosamine with fish oil and it seems to be helping a little already :love:

We have also put a spare mattress (from an our old pull out sofa) onto her dog bed and she LOVES it, and I think that is also helping her.

BDL

I would also try a course of Cartrophen injections. They can work absolute wonders, and have for my girl. They are quite cheap and usually a course of one a week for four weeks is needed. At the moment we are giving Chloe hers maybe once or twice a year, but more so in the colder months to get her old bones through the cold. It can really help the oldies when they are stiff and sore, or for any joint problems etc.

The thing that has helped my old girl the most is a coat. Has had a more positive effect then even anti-inflam drugs.

Interesting that you should say that JulesP. My vet recently went through a list of things which should (hopefully! ;) ) help minimise future arthritic issues in my young lab who recently had bilateral surgery for elbow dyspalsia - and right near the top of that list was keeping my girl warm through the cold weather. Thankfully, I hald already thought to do that. More to the point though, it makes perfect sense when you consider how older, already arthritic dogs benefit from such a simple thing and a warm dog coat is an ideal way to do that.

Good luck BDL. Please keep us posted.

w2s

You could try cartrophen injections, usually they are very effective in most dogs. I would also give her Joint Guard and 1000mg fish oil capsules which are anti-inflammatory, one capsule per 10 kg.

Your vet will be able to advise you :confused:

My old dog Jenna had very bad arthritis as well, I used to give her glucosamine tablets, and she was also having cartrophen injections at the vets . Both helped her so much ! :laugh:

Cartrophen is also know as Pentosan :confused: it is usually given once a week for a month, then monthly, then every three months.

Is there a human version of it yet ??? Seeing how it has been had positive effects on a couple of my dogs in the past, I sure could do with it also ! :laugh:

Sam has had HD for the last 9 yrs, ( he is 12 yrs now ) so far the vet hasn't mentioned arthritis ,

he has had Cartophen injections over the years

about a month ago the stiffness came back in his hindleg when getting up

3 weeks ago we started him on

Wagners Joint Forte powder and Natures Own Omega 3 Fish oil caps 1,000mg

and have noticed a vast improvement for him