Eagle Pack Power Vs Great Barko

OK, so I decided to grab a bag of Great Barko from the hardware store yesterday after reading the opinions about it here on DOL. My Boxer Rocky is a very fussy boy, and up until now he's been on Nutro, then over to Eagle Pack Power when that was no longer available in Oz. We've tried cheaper brands before, and he turns his nose up at it, and will only eat if if you stay there and coax him into eating his "yummy food".

Anyway, I thought I'd test out yesterday and put 2 bowls down - 1 with EP, 1 with GB.

Well blow me down, he sniffed at the EP, and the gobbled down the GB, then ate the EP after. Then for his evening meal, I mixed them together, and he ate the bits of Great Barko first, then the Eagle Pack after.

If he keeps this up, I will no longer have to drive over 1hr to get my dog food from Petstock, and can get it locally for 1/4 the price.

-WithEverythingIAm

my guys thrive on Great Barko but recently the stores around me have been deleting it from their lines. There is still one place who has the Uncle Alber's, so Pixie and I threatened the owner with death if he stops keeping that in supply for us. I think Pixie would go through with it too as her boy is looking fab on the stuff and it doesn't break the bank :eek:

OK, so I decided to grab a bag of Great Barko from the hardware store yesterday after reading the opinions about it here on DOL. My Boxer Rocky is a very fussy boy, and up until now he's been on Nutro, then over to Eagle Pack Power when that was no longer available in Oz. We've tried cheaper brands before, and he turns his nose up at it, and will only eat if if you stay there and coax him into eating his "yummy food".

Anyway, I thought I'd test out yesterday and put 2 bowls down - 1 with EP, 1 with GB.

Well blow me down, he sniffed at the EP, and the gobbled down the GB, then ate the EP after. Then for his evening meal, I mixed them together, and he ate the bits of Great Barko first, then the Eagle Pack after.

If he keeps this up, I will no longer have to drive over 1hr to get my dog food from Petstock, and can get it locally for 1/4 the price.

-WithEverythingIAm

Hehe...told you it was pretty good stuff :eek: My boys go nuts for it...even the cats try and snatch some!

I am also currently trying Great Barko... after searching on this forum...

Ben loves it, but like all my previous dogs, will eat anything. I especially like the price... $31 for 22kg...

Where in Brissie are you? Rochedale produce at Springwood sell it for $29.80 a bag :eek:

Guest PixieOfWrath

Hell yeah! The stuff rocks! As Freckles said the places near us have stopped stocking Great Barko's but still have Uncle Alber's and I am SO happy with it. I go through a 22kg bag each fortnight and it was killing me when I was using Eagle Pack and Royal Canin etc... and the dogs weren't even looking as good as they are now. I really will kill that fellow if he stops stocking the food :eek:

Just a question?????

I have a Newfie Pup and am finding it hard to find the right food for him.

He doesn't eat a lot in my eyes for a Giant Breed, at the moment I have him on Hills.

Do you think either of these Brands would benefit him????

Thanks

Sharon

I am also currently trying Great Barko... after searching on this forum...

Ben loves it, but like all my previous dogs, will eat anything. I especially like the price... $31 for 22kg...

Where in Brissie are you? Rochedale produce at Springwood sell it for $29.80 a bag :)

I'm in Redbank Plains, and buy my dog food from Goodna Produce, only 10 minutes away...

Great Barko

INGREDIENTS

Great Barko is formulated from a selection of the following ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, chicken, pork, cooked fish or fish by-products, fat, cooked cereals, wheaten bran. Canola and soy products derived from them. Lysine, methionine, antioxidant, bentonite, vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12, niacin, pantothenate, folic acid and biotin.

Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc.

I cant feed because of the cereal content and the ingredients are too vague for me (already had one bald dog this year :)). Raws doing them good at the moment until I can get back onto RC

ETA Its got the similar ingredients to Pedigree dog food and exactly the same protein and fat, just without the colours and preservatives

Edited by Nekhbet

I am testing too! The dogs seem to enjoy the taste. I haven't noticed a drop in condition/coat yet. The only negative I have so far is that it must be quite a hard kibble as my old girl looks like she struggles to chew it a bit. On the positive side the younger dogs take a bit longer to eat it! They seem to chew it rather than swallow whole! I am loving the price!

Guest june.andnovas

The soy and cereals turn me off.

Ivy loves RC so I think I will stick to that, even if it is damn expensive. She is on the german shepherd one and the bits are quite large so she also has to chew them well and then swollow. My mum commented on the size of the bits but my 12 month old kitten shares the biscuits with Ivy and she eats them well for a kitten. She's cheaky and sneaks a few and Ivy lets her share! Awww.

Though just found out that I can get RC wholesale through a vet friend :)

<does a little dance>

Hehe...told you it was pretty good stuff :o My boys go nuts for it...even the cats try and snatch some!

Yes you did, and Rocky says to say "Thanks Aunty KK!". :)

Molly loves it too, but she's a Lab, and will eat anything you give to her. She eats all the Corn on the cob, as well as the leftovers of watermelon I've been enjoying lately LOL. She doesn't leave a scrap.

-WithEverythingIAm

Just a question?????

I have a Newfie Pup and am finding it hard to find the right food for him.

He doesn't eat a lot in my eyes for a Giant Breed, at the moment I have him on Hills.

Do you think either of these Brands would benefit him????

Thanks

Sharon

Personally I would not feed Hills to a giant breed and do not know anyone who does- you need a giant breed specific food like Large Breed Euk, Giant Breed Royal Canin or Large/Giant Eagle Pack. Look at the first ingredients - there is no proper protein source there and it is bulked out with grains. Go to www.urbananimal.com.au and look at the past issues - starting around issue 10 is a series on what is in dog food and is really interesting (it was a 5 part series).

You need to be careful about calcium levels with giant breeds.

Here are some ingredient lists for giant breed specific food:

Large Breed Science Diet

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Iodized Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Royal Canin Giant Breed

Ingredients: dehydrated poultry meat, rice, vegetable protein

isolate*, maize, animal fats, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp,

minerals, soya oil, fish oil, yeasts, fructo-oligo-saccharides, psyllium

husks and seeds, L-lysine, yeast extract (source of manno-oligosaccharides),

DL-methionine, egg powder, taurine, hydrolysed

crustaceans (source of glucosamine), L-carnitine, hydrolysed cartilage

(source of chondroitin), marigold extract (source of lutein).

Eukanuba Large Breed

Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Brewers Rice, Chicken Digest, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], Dicalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Marigold Extract (source of lutein), Chondroitin Sulfate, Rosemary Extract.

Eagle Pack Giant

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Oatmeal, Chicken Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Corn Germ Meal (Dry Milled), Brewers Dried Yeast, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

I cant feed because of the cereal content and the ingredients are too vague for me (already had one bald dog this year :rofl:). Raws doing them good at the moment until I can get back onto RC

ETA Its got the similar ingredients to Pedigree dog food and exactly the same protein and fat, just without the colours and preservatives

I decided to try the food after getting some samples...the kibble is incredibly dense, dark and slightly moist - rather then the dry almost fluffy look of most kibble. Kinda looks like the darker royal canin kibble with less cereal/fluff to the eye. I'm assuming it does have less filler then most kibbles as i feed a surprising amount less to my boys and there is less output as well. Not trying to push it - just explaining :rofl:

Hwoever having got my hands on good suppliers of cheap chook frames, bones etc the Uncle Albers is in addition to those these days :)

Guest PixieOfWrath

Going by the name, price and ingredients it's certainly not a food I would have leapt at trying either - I tried it as a desperate last resort and am DELIGHTED that I did.