Obedience Challenge #2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - here is challenge # 2. No reason for it - just something to try. :cheer:

Most dogs have a good recall by the time the are ready for CCD. However, if you change the picture, will the dog still come on the first call?

So I would be interested to hear if you think your dog will come and do a straight present, or if you think it will just sit there - then post and let us know what happened.

Leave the dog in a sit stay/wait.

Take 15 steps, but do not about turn.

Call your dog using a verbal and hand signal as you would in a normal recall

and let us know what happens.

Be specific if the dog comes and tell us how it presented, whether it sat or stood etc and let us also know what level of training the dog is at.

A reminder - no food to be used :)

I'd like to try this tonight but we don't do obedience (well except drive training at home) - what does a straight present mean? I assume it means coming round in front of you to face you in sit?

Just tried this one at the park - I could hear Ziggy bolting in, then he came straight in front and stopped at about 11 o'clock (looking rather confused :) ) in a half sit/half stand. He was looking me straight in the eye, just about begging me to un-confuse him. We then did a 'proper' recall and he looked soooo much happier - it was such a lovely effort that he received a chicken wing tip for his trouble :cheer:

ETA: Clicker trained and not yet trialling.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I'd like to try this tonight but we don't do obedience (well except drive training at home) - what does a straight present mean? I assume it means coming round in front of you to face you in sit?

Yeah, essentially it is a sit in front, nice and close to your legs. They also need to be straight.

I told you my problem with it. Too many recalls into heel position. I also think my issue with Ness is too much focus on rewarding finding heel from anywhere and everywhere - not that it helps us in a trial any. As for little munchkin she has only done skip fronts and not really done a recall as such other than an informal one.

Keep these results coming....... :cheer:

I guess the next question is - why is it the dogs seem to be able to come when called but the straight present seems to be the problem.

It is interesting, particularly as I went back several months ago and taught 'front' as a position - I imagine it comes down to that fact that dogs aren't particularly good at generalising to different situations/people/distractions etc. I think that if I tried your exercise a couple of times, Zig would have it down pat in no time - it would be good fun to try this from side on as well :)

Well I tried this with Miss Pants and got what I was expecting she hesitated and then came to the heel position and poked me in the backside which I'm sad to say is what she does when she thinks I'm doing something strange. :cheer: We've been working of stands with my back to her and out of sight stays, so not terribly surprised. She always comes to heel when she's uncertain so I expected that.

Just did it with Diesel, and as I expected he came to heel position, not in front. We do lots of find heel position so that is what I thought he'd do.

We're pretty much up to CCD standard, apart from focusing in busy areas like trials :cheer:

I thought I would repeat this because I was sure that Ahsoka had fluked it and I wanted to see what Jedi would do when he hadn't just been woken up from a big slumber!

This time... Jedi finished in front, but was further out than usual, but he improved!

And little Ahsoka repeated her previous performance and did a perfect finish in front.... Maybe I'm thinking of trialling with the wrong dog! :rofl:

I decided to give it a go with Zoe. Very interesting. She came to about 9 o'clock the first time, 10 o'clock the second. We were in the novice trialling class last time I took her (before CCD was in place) but never trialled. She is now 9 years old, we don't do much formal training any more, just bits and pieces for fun. I haven't done as much find heel position with her as I have with Diesel.

OK - here is challenge # 2. No reason for it - just something to try. :rofl:

Most dogs have a good recall by the time the are ready for CCD. However, if you change the picture, will the dog still come on the first call?

So I would be interested to hear if you think your dog will come and do a straight present, or if you think it will just sit there - then post and let us know what happened.

Leave the dog in a sit stay/wait.

Take 15 steps, but do not about turn.

Call your dog using a verbal and hand signal as you would in a normal recall

and let us know what happens.

Be specific if the dog comes and tell us how it presented, whether it sat or stood etc and let us also know what level of training the dog is at.

A reminder - no food to be used :rofl:

We tried it. Jake came straight on verbal command sat in front of me at about 1 oclock, then looked up quizzically as if to say, "where's my reward" (we've been doing drive training with a rubber ball).

No formal obedience training here just stuff at home, but we do do sit before meals, treats etc so he just did what came first to mind I suppose.

Interesting though.

OK - tried it with my 5 :rofl:

UD Blaize came and sat at heel :rofl:

OC Lara came and sat at heel :)

CD Beans came and sat at the 9 o'clock position :rofl:

CCD Lexi came and sat at the 10 o'clock position :rofl:

OC Scoota came and sat in the perfect front :rofl:

Do I keep posting challenges????

I have only tried Clover so far (trained up to novice trial standard, trialed in novice a couple of time when younger).

Try #1: She came and stood behind me, she seemed confused when i looked back :confused:.

Try #2: She came and sat in between heel and front, so better.

I am going to try her again and the others just before i feed them, when they are not being so lazy.