Flies

Anna H

the pesky buggers are back!

ok, so I've 'recharged' and hung up my fly traps, I'm keeping up poo patrol twice daily etc... but yet, the buggers are still en masse and attacking my dogs.

What is the best fly repellant around?

ETA:I've smelled a few in store and they seem to stink of citronella, which my dogs hate!

Ideas?

Edited by ChelseasMum

Not a fly repellant specifically for dogs, but I've read recently that basil deters them. I've been invaded by blowies, especially when I cook and they're sending me insane as I've been living near the coast for decades. I'm going to plant basil around, and I've got some carnivorous plants. I'd ideally like to send the buggers elsewhere, and if it works then apart from me, my dog won't be bothered by them when she sunbathes on the deck etc. I'm going to try planting some basil around the yard too, especially near the trench where I bury dog's droppings. I figure it's worth a try. Of course, it won't deter them when we're out but at home is better than nothing.

Guest june.andnovas

Long story but the first day Ivy was left home on her own she killed the back flyscreen door (not her fault at all, my OH locked her away) so now we have to have the glass door open for the cats and Ivy can go in/out in the afternoons. If I leave it shut Ivy pees in the house! Having it open all the damn flies come in the house :thumbsup:

I plan on moving out very soon so I'm not bothering to replace the door, he can deal with it and I can deal with flies in the house.

With the neem powder you just dust/rub that all over their coat? How long does it last?

Any Tassie people ... do you have a fly problem over there?

Long story but the first day Ivy was left home on her own she killed the back flyscreen door (not her fault at all, my OH locked her away) so now we have to have the glass door open for the cats and Ivy can go in/out in the afternoons. If I leave it shut Ivy pees in the house! Having it open all the damn flies come in the house :thumbsup:

I plan on moving out very soon so I'm not bothering to replace the door, he can deal with it and I can deal with flies in the house.

With the neem powder you just dust/rub that all over their coat? How long does it last?

Any Tassie people ... do you have a fly problem over there?

Even with a screen door the flies somehow make their way in because I cook daily :thumbsup:

I dust my dog with the neem powder...it is more of a flea/insect repellant but I see the flies avoiding him generally. So I guess it is somewhat good. I re-apply the powder daily..takes less than 2minutes. But I still need something for the home..so I use citronella in my aromatheraphy diffuser.

There are products on the market used by dairys and the like and you can mix them in a pressure sprayer and spray your house and shed walls with it. The flies die when they make contact with the walls and surfaces that is has been applied to. It is fantastic stuff we use it every year. There are more than one product available. The one we use is call Coopex. Our house walls were done a couple of weeks ago and it has been cool since then but today its hot and when I went out this morning there were a million blowies on the walls. There are now a million dead blowies on my verandah :eek:

Only downside is now I have to go sweep them up :) . Try your hardware store or any stock and station agent would have some.

Good luck

Cheers

Curly1

There are products on the market used by dairys and the like and you can mix them in a pressure sprayer and spray your house and shed walls with it. The flies die when they make contact with the walls and surfaces that is has been applied to. It is fantastic stuff we use it every year. There are more than one product available. The one we use is call Coopex. Our house walls were done a couple of weeks ago and it has been cool since then but today its hot and when I went out this morning there were a million blowies on the walls. There are now a million dead blowies on my verandah :eek:

Only downside is now I have to go sweep them up :) . Try your hardware store or any stock and station agent would have some.

Good luck

Cheers

Curly1

Thanks for the tip! Do you know whether this product works for bees/wasps etc? or just flies?

There was one i used on the dogs last year that worked really well.

I had used human fly repellent stuff from Coles and the "Troy" brand one from City Farmers and both were shite.

I got a spray bottle with baby oil, a bit of water, a bit of Dettol and a midgen of tea tree/eucalyptus oil. (just a drop or too, dont go overboard with the oils!) Shake it up and spray on the dogs coat, avoiding the eyes. I also sprayed on their bedding and on doors, walle, floors etc where they stay outside.

Worked a treat! :laugh:

(I got it off Wolfgirl last summer :laugh: )

ADVANTIX is the best product around for stable flies, sandflies, blowfies and mozzies. Treat the dogs and you won't need to worry about it.

I agree with this...i've tried everything else on my two GSD's but nothing worked without making their fluffy ears yuk or i had to reapply it every couple of hours...not likely to happen when i work full time! - the Advantix works beautifully :rofl:

I've not come across Advantix before... is it one of those spot on heartworm/flea/ticks applications? I've never worried about treating for ticks as we don't get them around here.

My guys are already on heartworm prevention, so would rather something specific to treating flies (tho I don't mind if it repells or kills off other biteys as well)

Permoxin is out for us as is any other product not safe for cats to ingest - my cats do sometimes groom my dogs - they also have a lot of close contact.

Edited by ChelseasMum

Advantix doesn't work for Ivan, the flies still savage his ears. I use Aeroguard or Permoxin. It'd be a brave cat that ventured into our garden :rofl:

I opened the outside bin this morning and there were several hundred maggots crawling all over the inside :rofl: I don't know how it happened, but I unloaded a can of fly spray in there, shut the lid and went to work. I'm really hoping they're all gone when I get home :)

There was one i used on the dogs last year that worked really well.

I had used human fly repellent stuff from Coles and the "Troy" brand one from City Farmers and both were shite.

I got a spray bottle with baby oil, a bit of water, a bit of Dettol and a midgen of tea tree/eucalyptus oil. (just a drop or too, dont go overboard with the oils!) Shake it up and spray on the dogs coat, avoiding the eyes. I also sprayed on their bedding and on doors, walle, floors etc where they stay outside.

Worked a treat! :)

(I got it off Wolfgirl last summer :rofl: )

That sounds good, I might give that a go.

I'm finding the flies really bad here at the moment. Normally Riley never seemed to have a problem with them, but lately they're all over him,

I've not come across Advantix before... is it one of those spot on heartworm/flea/ticks applications? I've never worried about treating for ticks as we don't get them around here.

My guys are already on heartworm prevention, so would rather something specific to treating flies (tho I don't mind if it repells or kills off other biteys as well)

Permoxin is out for us as is any other product not safe for cats to ingest - my cats do sometimes groom my dogs - they also have a lot of close contact.

Advantix is toxic to cats also. And yes it's a top spot you can get from Vets/Pet shops/Online.

-WithEverythingIAm

After years and years of losing the battle last year we finally worked out a combination.

Two jumbo fly traps

RepelX on the dogs

Poo patrol as many times a day as I could

Hosing or bucketing the kennel areas with bleach ( have to keep dogs off until dry )

and the surprise was that eucalyptus oil and water in a spray bottle , sprayed around the doors and the brickwork actually worked.

After years and years of losing the battle last year we finally worked out a combination.

Two jumbo fly traps

RepelX on the dogs

Poo patrol as many times a day as I could

Hosing or bucketing the kennel areas with bleach ( have to keep dogs off until dry )

and the surprise was that eucalyptus oil and water in a spray bottle , sprayed around the doors and the brickwork actually worked.

Hats of to you PPS, I may try some of your tips myself as the flies here are terrible. Last year I bought 2 fly traps but I have to confess, I began dry retching when I had to empty them out and ended up not continuing after a few weeks ....

Luckily my dogs are inside/outside as they wish but you cannot sit outside at my place, due to the amount of flies around.

It was always like this here though, even before I got dogs, noone knows why.

Last year I bought 2 fly traps but I have to confess, I began dry retching when I had to empty them out and ended up not continuing after a few weeks .....

I hear ya. I was emptying them out when I was at my breeders place - projectile vomit :(