Good Australian Kibble

megan_

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arghh, its confusing. Ppl on here reccomment Uncle Alders and Great Barko to be good and others say its equalvilant to maccas. i'll have to move to the wilderness and teach her to hunt :happydance2:

Yes, the food nazis would say that. HOWEVER, some of Australia's top breeder/exhibitors feed it and swear by it.

I feed it and find it to be one of the best foods I have ever fed. My dogs do VERY well (some TOO well) on it and it is kind to my wallet.

Just ducked to woolies on my way home here is a better idea of costs. Sorry just interested in figures re the foods we feed and their costs.

Approx Prices & Kgs & Per Kg & Per Dog Weight & Per Day - example being used 38 kg dog and what they suggest to feed if only dry, and a cup being 250grm approx.

Advance - $98ish =15kgs = $6.53 per kilo = 4 cups = $6.53 a day

Optimum - $34 = 8kgs = $4.25per kilo = 4 cups = $4.25 a day

Hills SD - $95ish = 15kgs = $6.33 per kilo = 5 cups = $7.91 a day

Nature's Gift - $19 = 4kgs = $4.75 per kilo = 4 cups = $4.75 a day

Out of interest I did the same for Orijen

Orijen - $120 = 13.6kgs = $8.82 per kilo = 3 cups = $6.61 a day - NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT!

i found when kaiser was on an all barf diet, he bunged on the weigh, now he's 50/50 with EP, and he's looking quite healthy.

but barf is so cheap, $1 a kg for C.F Mince and $1 for three full frames, so cheap. considering most of the rest of the food in his barf diet is all stuff we eat - eggs, yoghurt ect - its defiantly the cheaper alternative, and is healthy too(although i can get a bit paranoid when it comes to getting the chicken frames, i have to make sure they have been frozen for a certain amount of time, to try and kill anything that may be in there)

ETA - i payed $36.50 for the current bag of EP that i have atm, its the holistic's range 7.5 kg (equals $4.86 per kilo = 4 cups = $4.86 a day based on F.T.P.Os formula above)

and $32 for the EP super premium senior for my old girl

all bought from petstock.

Edited by Jessca

I recently checked out the price of dry food at the supermarket and was shocked that I was paying close to the same price for Advance...I know which one i'd rather be buying!

http://www.advancedpetnutrition.com.au/product.aspx These are the ingredients in Adavance Adult All Breed - Not really a huge different between this and Hills Science Diet or Optimum.

Approx Prices & Kgs

Adavance - $98ish =15kgs

Optimum - Can't find price

Hills SD - $95ish = 15kgs

i.e these equal around $6 a kilo!

I wouldnt say that Advance and Hills are similar at all. I would never touch hills!!

Optimum is the only supermarket food I would feed if I HAD to.

And I certainly dont pay $98 for Advance. It is more like $80

my dogs get the lamb/beef off cuts and bones etc bcz its cheaper

and they do better on it than any dry food.

Lilli do you find that they hold their weight without dry food? I have a young male here who tends to be a bit light on and I'm worried that if I drop the dry he may get even thinner.

I've found it is easier to put weight on with raw food than kibble -

my adolescent males each need about 9 cups a day of kibble plue eg/milk or sardines

and were still trim on dry food.

With the raw I deliberately give them the fattier off cuts, lamb flaps

where as those that are too heavy or mature and less active, I give beef bone off cuts with more bone than meat and little fat, like brisket bones.

Only those which are in growth phase or need to put on weight, I give the lamb necks to.

Before I found a cheap meat source kibble+milk/egg/sardine was the only option as butcher/supermarket prices to feed the dogs on raw was more expensive than to feed them on premium brand kibble.

Now it costs about $120 per week to feed the dogs, but I do use kgs and kgs of meat, maybe 80kgs a week? Honest I have never weighed it or added it up, I just get it by the bag /barrel :happydance2:

Edited by lilli

Just ducked to woolies on my way home here is a better idea of costs. Sorry just interested in figures re the foods we feed and their costs.

Approx Prices & Kgs & Per Kg & Per Dog Weight & Per Day - example being used 38 kg dog and what they suggest to feed if only dry, and a cup being 250grm approx.

Advance - $98ish =15kgs = $6.53 per kilo = 4 cups = $6.53 a day

Optimum - $34 = 8kgs = $4.25per kilo = 4 cups = $4.25 a day

Hills SD - $95ish = 15kgs = $6.33 per kilo = 5 cups = $7.91 a day

Nature's Gift - $19 = 4kgs = $4.75 per kilo = 4 cups = $4.75 a day

Out of interest I did the same for Orijen

Orijen - $120 = 13.6kgs = $8.82 per kilo = 3 cups = $6.61 a day - NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT!

OR 1.2kg's of chicken frames/necks/wings/lamb offcuts/beef/bones/hearts/tongue etc = $1 to $2 per day :thumbsup:

and...much less output

Arghh, its confusing. Ppl on here reccomment Uncle Alders and Great Barko to be good and others say its equalvilant to maccas. i'll have to move to the wilderness and teach her to hunt :thumbsup:

It is confusing...but as far as i'm concerned it comes down to what your dog does well on - i even used to be a promoter for one of the super dooper brands and i still stand by the super preium brands etc - but i will also recommend Uncle Albers and Great Barko - i'd not feed my dogs on it otherwise.

Look into the ingredients, check out the different foods, try them on your dog/s and go from there. I'd descripe Pal etc as Maccas and consider Supercoat as an ok/good food - but Uncle Albers/Great Barko are 100% better then those. I'd not say they (UA/GB) are super premium foods as most understand them - but they are as far as my dogs are concerned!

I also feed raw meaty bones - but not as a BARF diet as such. Have a look at everything, don't just believe the advertising and see what suits you and your dogs best :D

ETA - For my 45kg GSD's i feed 2 cups to one and 3 cups to the other...per day (one is a lot more energetic then the other...lol).

Edited by KitKat

I got another reply from Ziwipeak:

Hello Fady

It is definitely not irradiated by AQIS. We ship direct to our distributor in a locked, sealed container. We dry to Australian standards and they have no need to irradiate ZiwiPeak and don’t.

I can assure you ZiwiPeak is not irradiated!!

Thanks again for your thoughts and concern.

Geoff

I have to say I can't fault K9+Katz Kitchen. I ordered the Artemis food yesterday and it arrived today :scared: Now lets hope it agrees with the dog

I tried Artemis Fresh Mix prior to using Orijen and it didn't suit my dogs at all, they got lots of gas and loose poo. Apparently this is because it doesn't contain beet pulp and it can take a while for some dogs to adjust. Unfortunately my dogs reacted so badly that I chose to stop using it. I think it's a good food, but it definitely didn't agree with my dogs. The Artemis Power wasn't as bad, but I still got a lot of sticky poo that was hard to pick up. I also get the odd loose poo with Orijen so I'm not 100% happy with that either. Like I said I am so over the whole kibble thing :laugh:

I agree with you about K9&Katz Kitchen, Judith does a fantastic job and is also a lovely person, highly recommended :laugh:

Yeah I know :laugh:

I don't know what to try next - don't really like feeding grains and Darcy can't have preservatives, colours, artificial flavours etc. Looking into artemis...but I know his lordship will turn his nose up at that.

Yeah I know :provoke:

I don't know what to try next - don't really like feeding grains and Darcy can't have preservatives, colours, artificial flavours etc. Looking into artemis...but I know his lordship will turn his nose up at that.

Darcy has done so well on orijen - the only food he doesn't screw his nose up at.

Am so disappointed that I will have to find another dry food that his lordship approves of.

Judith will send you a sample pack if you like or it comes in a 1.8kg bag!