50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 50mm really is a great lens! I've been using it for most of my photos in the January challenge (also been using the phone!).

Here's a few that I've posted in the challenge, but it definitely shows this lens's variety:

4257849965_b795132106_m.jpg

4250691124_724d7a47d6_m.jpg

4250691002_86159d8389_m.jpg

20378_274936959147_815764147_4514747_7350386_s.jpg

20378_274936974147_815764147_4514749_6412395_s.jpg

OK here goes, I received my 1.8 yesterday and so today was day 1... still a looong way to even began understanding how to use this sucker but here are a bunch of Falco and one of Grotty I just took then.

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

I have a while to go before I get the 'crispness' you guys are achieving... :thumbsup:

Edited by grotty_rotty

CAn someone tell me what the difference is between imported stock and Australian stock please? I mean know what it mens just in my research I have noticed some stores say lens is imported stock others say Australian and there is a price difference(talking Canon) also filters.....is it advisable to have a filter for each of your lens?

Thanks

ETA a silly question..is better to pruchase a UV filter or a CPL filter and are these filters all able to fit other lens ie say I have 3 lens will a filter fit them all or are they manufactured only to fit certain lens?

Edited by PooMother

So many great pics in here!! Like snap I am still using my 50 mm I have had it on the camera all month, I took it off for one day only to put it back on again, I am finding the more I use it the more I get used to it and find it takes such good shots, well I think so. I was wondering if anyone can be bothered Id love some feed back on these next few, mainly the editing and composition, I think they are ok but would love to hear what others think!!

DSC_0073-1.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0148-1.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

I'd be happy to give you some feedback tlc! Bare in mind that this is completely subjective and I have absoloutely no expertise! :(

1. You hear a lot of talk about having catchlights in eyes so that they don't look like black pits lol, maybe that would help here? Otherwise this photo has great contrast and the monotone works great.

2. Love this one! Maybe again, the catchlights could be made more noticable but that's easily done with lightroom or photoshop. I do find that he is slightly off centre, which is a little frustrating :)

3. This one is great. You may be able to play with the darkness of the background a bit so he can stand out a little more, but otherwise it's fine.

4. I find this one a little flat. It may have been the look you were going for though.

5. Same as number 4 but I do prefer the expression in this.

6. You might want to boost the colour and contrast in this one to make it really 'pop' but otherwise it's a really nice picture. The small white thing on the right is a bit distracting so maybe you could clone it out. It could also do with a bit of brightening up.

7. If you could just boost the contrast between the dog and the background this one would be great.

Otherwise I think it's a lovely set and I can really see a consistancy in your editing. Maybe next time you could try playing with the composition more, try some close-ups and get the subject out of the centre.

ETA: Sorry, pressed 'send' before I was finished!

Edited by Snap

Congrats on the new toy! The 50mm is such a nice focal range really :(

tlc - the first thing that springs to my mind is that all of them are very centred. Try using some negative space, different framing and different areas of the frame for your main focus. Check out grotty-rotty's #2 and #3 on this page (anniek's also has some nice negative space). It's a pretty extreme example that might not 100% suit you, but it might help move your subject out of the middle. hth

Edited by kja

Thanks Kristen, I know I always centre my subjects and every time I take a pic with the subject of that pic not in the middle it doesnt seem pleasing to my eye :( but when I look at everyone elses they look great and I can see it works but I cant with mine?? Will try for a little off centre for my next shoot and see what happens!! What about from an editing point of view, any critiques there??

I really like the colours on 3 and 6. Like that you're experimenting with tones and black & white.

Oh and while you're moving out of centre, might as well vary your angle of attack too - looks like you are almost straight on for every frame. Get low, get high, get funky, Girl :(

I love this thread.

I have come to the conclusion that even though I wouldn't normally be attracted to Schnauzers, (sorry schnauzer lovers) they are incredibly photogenic little dogs. They have lovely eyes too. Just about every photo I've seen of them, they look gorgeous.