Sulphur Dioxide As A Preservative

chuckie500

A friend of mine said her vet said that NONE of the fresh pet meat products (rolls or barf patties) are without sulphur dioxide. Concerns were raised that it causes thiamine deficiencies. She said the pet food market is unregulated (I guess implying that even if they said they didn't have it, they do as there is no regulation).

Does any one know which ones have it and wich ones don't? Is this a storm in a tea cup?

Thanks

I don't know Chuckie but share your concerns. As far as I have heard all mince products for pets - but particularly those with chicken - have preservatives of one kind or another. :rofl:

I'm currently looking for a nice heavy duty mincer to make my own - one that can crunch up chicken bones and all for preference.

Chicken pet mince direct from poultry shops often doesn't have preservative - testified to by how quickly it starts to pong! I don't often feed mince but if I do I try and get it the day it's made, if chicken, from a butcher who swears he doesn't add preservative.

I don't think you can get kangaroo mince without preservatives, at least that's what one supplier told me.

Edited by Diva

There are many Pet Foods with this additive. You as the consumer need to make yourself aware of what you purchase for your canines, read carefully what the ingredients are and what perservatives are used. Educate yourself on the codes and or names used and what they really are. It is a mine field out there when it comes to commercial foods for the dogs.

I prefer to feed fresh foods and I get the dogs mince from my butcher who will give me what I ask for and no other extras.

Good luck with your homework!

I think most pet quality roo meats are preserved with sulfur as there are not fridge facilities for roo hunters.

In saying that roo meat farmed specifically for the human meat market would not contain this.

I always buy human grade roo meat for my dogs just incase.

Not too sure about other types of foods.

I would say most would contain it as it is commonly used as a preservative even meat for human consumption. I believe though it should not be used.. however I think some supermarkets and butchers are still using it. It makes meat look nice and fresh and red...

Here is a link to fact sheet that gives the numbers as that is how the companies are getting around the labelling laws.. It is on the label, but you have to know what number is associated with it..

220 Sulphur dioxide

221 Sodium sulphite

222 Sodium bisulphite

223 Sodium metabisulphite

224 Potassium metabisulphite

225 Potassium sulphite

228 Potassium bisulphite

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/fac...ctsulphites.htm

I don't know Chuckie but share your concerns. As far as I have heard all mince products for pets - but particularly those with chicken - have preservatives of one kind or another. :cool:

I'm currently looking for a nice heavy duty mincer to make my own - one that can crunch up chicken bones and all for preference.

I've started to think this is the way to go too.

At Coles, I found some packaged pet grade meat that doesn't claim to have no preservatives, but the label doesn't seem to state what preservatives it contains. It says it contains a couple of different kinds of meat, and "vitamins". Are any vitamins also preservatives?

I'm not that keen on buying the stuff anyway because I don't even trust the human grade offcuts at Coles, but I am still interested in how informative the labels are required to be.

*edited to remove a word

Edited by cazxxz

I would say most would contain it as it is commonly used as a preservative even meat for human consumption. I believe though it should not be used.. however I think some supermarkets and butchers are still using it. It makes meat look nice and fresh and red...

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/fac...ctsulphites.htm

That's interesting, my dogs often refuse to eat human-grade mince, and I've always assumed it was because it smells or tastes to them of the preservatives added. So much so that I stopped buying it for them.

Edited by Diva

I learned many years ago that a banned preservative in Australia "Ethoxyquin" which is a substance used to make rubber, was used in certain well known brand imported pet foods, the way they get around this (as in not putting it on their labels) is that their products are arriving to the factory already laced with it, so even though the company knows dam well it is in their foods, on a technicality they dont have to admit it, as it wasnt them who added it!!!

Ethoxyquin causes auto immune diseases, skin diseases etc.......

You may find that this is the case with preservative 220 here, in other words you will never know if it does or doesnt!

VIP was a brand that got exposed for using it probably 10 years or more ago, whether they still use it I am clueless........

Bully,

Sulpher is still used by some in human grade meat. That's why in the butcher/meat department, it looks so nice and very red.

You would need to report them to the authorities, as it is illegal to do this in Australia!

Yep I know it is.. Just like it is illegal to add MSG to restaurant food here in Oz... Does not stop them using it though.

Flavoured potato flakes (like corn chips) are loaded with MSG.. (621) likewise 2 minute noodle flavours.

Bully,

Sulpher is still used by some in human grade meat. That's why in the butcher/meat department, it looks so nice and very red.

You would need to report them to the authorities, as it is illegal to do this in Australia!

Apparently it's illegal in mince, but not in other meat products.

NSW legisltation

Edited by felix