Puppy Outdoors Or Inside During Day?

baileythelabrador

In the day my 4 month old labrador pup is alone from 6am-3pm while we are at work.

Currently i get up at about 5am, feed him and let him play in the garden until i go to work at 6am. When i leave for work he is left inside and has the hallway and bathroom to play in with some toys/ water and newspaper down for toileting.

Should i start leaving him in the garden whilst i go to work or is he better off inside?

If he is better off inside is he ok in just the hall and bathroom or should i open up the living area to him to?

Thanks

In the day my 4 month old labrador pup is alone from 6am-3pm while we are at work.

Currently i get up at about 5am, feed him and let him play in the garden until i go to work at 6am. When i leave for work he is left inside and has the hallway and bathroom to play in with some toys/ water and newspaper down for toileting.

Should i start leaving him in the garden whilst i go to work or is he better off inside?

If he is better off inside is he ok in just the hall and bathroom or should i open up the living area to him to?

Thanks

Have you got good fencing? Is there an area of the yard you could fence off for him? I think he'd be far better off outside.

A growing Lab pup loose in your house is not a good idea in terms of the damage he could inflict by chewing etc.

Is there someone who could stop by and check on him during the day?

Bailey...speaking from experience...get your pup outside now! :rofl:

Due to irrational fear we left our Field Spaniel inside until he was near 6 months and listed below are the effects:

• Chewed walls, chewed doors, destroyed telephone (ate the whole thing), barking/howling.
  • Little independence. He is now so used to being inside that we are having to retrain him to be outside, especially when eating bones.
  • Over dependence on us. He stresses when we leave him for long periods as he's not used to be on his own, even though he was left inside the house.
  • With lots of support, advice and encouragement from the dudes and dudettes on here, we are slowly turning a 9 month old pup with separation anxiety to one being able to be left on his own.

One experienced DOLer said (and boy the words stung but they were right) is that we created a dog who was over dependant on us because he hadn't been taught to be on his own and also wasn't able to experience being a dog...smelling the air, digging the yard, chewing sticks, lying in the sun, etc.

As long as your pooch has a safe place to go if he's frightened (like a kennel or access into a cleared out shed or garage), then trust me, when I say, both you and he will be much happier.

LOL.

Edited by poochmad

Yes the yard is full fenced but its not a lawn yard. its more plants/ bushes and trees and its a old queenslander house so he can go underneith the house to. I am just a bit woreried he may get bitten by a spider or snake or eat a kane toad etc. Its just a small/medium sized garden in a residentail area though so im proberbly worrying to much.

We definatly dont want to create a dog thats afraid to out on his own.

We do have a neighbour who said she would keep an eye on him, but shes not home all the time either. If i start leaving him out do i start with leaving him for a few hours and building it up or can i just go to work tomoro and leave him in the garden?

Mine go outside from the moment they come to live with me, in fact i have a litter of 4 week old pups and they are out during the day now. Just make sure he has plenty of shade and water and he will be fine, give him plenty of toys. You will find he will sleep most of the day. Oh and don't expect the garden to remain intact, my dogs have an area that they know they can dig in etc. On the days you are home leave him outside for a while to get him use to it. If he crys to get back inside ignore it and only invite him in when he is being well behaved. My back door is always open when i am at home and my dogs come and go as they please and often take themselves off outside for a play.

I agree with everyone. Have him outside. He will get used to it & be much happier. It took a couple of months to be able to trust Tilba outside, she would find all sorts of things to chew. Now she's happy to be outside when no ones home, except for Sooty of course.

All the responses made me laugh, because if this were an overseas forum you would be run out of town if you didn't have your dog inside. They just don't understand the Aussie way.

I agree with everyone. Have him outside. He will get used to it & be much happier. It took a couple of months to be able to trust Tilba outside, she would find all sorts of things to chew. Now she's happy to be outside when no ones home, except for Sooty of course.

All the responses made me laugh, because if this were an overseas forum you would be run out of town if you didn't have your dog inside. They just don't understand the Aussie way.

Its simply a case of we have it so much better off with fenced yards .Properties that we can fence & very few predators that can kill our dogs easily.

I have many friends in the US whose dogs spend alot of time outside but far more supervised due to wild beers,wild cats & other critters that you cant keep out plus of course winter snow

You obviously care for your dog BUT you need to do what all us caring dog owners do in Qld. which is:

* check your yard is escape proof & has nothing in it that can be chewed that you value

* go around of a night time and get rid of all toads you can see - and this needs to be done regularly

* get someone to use an animal safe spray for spiders and crawlies - or do it yourself - and get rid of the nasties

* give the dog water and chew toys, etc.

and let the dog enjoy the outdoors and being a dog! :)

My friend has 2 labs and they are inside dogs. They do just fine.

I have 2 shih tzu's and they are inside dogs as well. They only go outside when one of us is home. We don't have any anxiety problems. Don't make a fuss when you leave etc. My 2 enjoy dogging holes etc when they are outside. When they are inside they are good boys

It all depends on you and your dog in the long run.

Edited by Oscar's Mummy

Outside for definite, we leave our guy outside during the day and he entertains himself with whatever he can find- bits of tress, pots, logs etc( all attempts of introducing kongs have resulted in them being buried somewhere) :rolleyes:

He will probably stay near the house for first few days and then start exploring around your yard.

Lab pups like to chew, dig and sleep all day and most importantly like being in the shade.

If you don't have one, the best thing to buy for him is one of those blue pools you can get from kmart- best thing we ever bought for our guy. It's a instant cool down for them.

Hmmm lab puppy and indoors spells destruction!!!!!

Get him used to be outside now, as long as he has high fences and lots to keep him amused I bet youd rather he dig a hole in the grass than eat your couch when he gets bored....

Our girl Zoe loves to be in her yard, when i take her for a walk in the mornings she cant wait to get home and back to her domain...

If you are not renting, get a dog door, and let the puppy have access to the bathroom and the hallway (provided they are cleared of all destructable things). That's what I did and gradually they learnt that they can't run away with various items in the house. I always wanted my dogs to be inside dogs who would stay with me when I cook, watch tv with me. So I wanted to train them to know how to behave inside.

But even now, they don't have full access to the house when we are at work. Only the lower level of the house.

Edited by Odin-Genie

Inside. I am one of those weird people from another country where dogs dont get left outside when no ones home, usually. Remove destructables & shut the lounge & bedroom doors.

Some risks outside when no ones home

Theft

Snake bite

Poisonous spider bite

Choking, if they swallow something around the place

Injury, eg getting stuck/wedged somewhere

Heat stress, we get some very hot days

No way would I risk a 4 month old outside with no one around, rather lose a chair leg.

Inside. I am one of those weird people from another country where dogs dont get left outside when no ones home, usually. Remove destructables & shut the lounge & bedroom doors.

Theft

Snake bite

Poisonous spider bite

No way would I risk a 4 month old outside with no one around, rather lose a chair leg.

How many big dogs have you owned???

i would love to see your poodle chair damage compared to a lab :rofl:

Risks outside still apply inside but add eating power cords & electrocuting themselves.

heat stress inside if the power goes off & all the windows are shut.

The risks are the same either way but you own a dog so small .

Theft

Snake bite

Poisonous spider bite

How many big dogs have you owned???

i would love to see your poodle chair damage compared to a lab :laugh:

Risks outside still apply inside but add eating power cords & electrocuting themselves.

heat stress inside if the power goes off & all the windows are shut.

The risks are the same either way but you own a dog so small .

A Great Dane, a Dalmation & a Doberman. I dont leave puppies of any breed in a room with any power cords

Air con gets left on low/timer if home alone & very hot. Kitchens/large hallways are pretty safe for puppies, maybe a few things to move first for safety. Lounges are the worst place, they always chew the lounge or edge of carpet if you have it.

Theft

Snake bite

Poisonous spider bite

Agree. I have a golden retriever and an elkhound, both high energy. But there are no power cords in teh area they have access to, or anything else that can harm them. Of course they put a few holes in the wall when they were puppies :laugh: , but I'd much rather have them safe inside than outside.