2009 Brags Thread

Thought I would take the opportunity to add my results while catching up after being away from home for 2 months (and 2 days -ha) training and retriever training in NSW and country Victoria. Long suffering husband coped at home OK. What a wonderful guy. Apparently not many husband's or partners would allow their other halves such freedom.

Yo gained his RRD title.

Peppa all age placings and nearly so nearly finished Vic state Championship. Should have given her a safety cast in the sixth and last test, on an out of sight triple mark test. Been given the judges award at presentation lessened my disappointment.

Yank finished more trails than expected including NSW champ and weekend trials - placed also. Needs to work with me a little better. Next year perhaps!!.

Stamp, my just turned 8 year old, who had horrible mouth problems and was going to be washed from training on so many occasions, did me proud. Finished NSW championship

and FINISHED AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL LAST WEEKEND. 7 FROM 49 DOGS TO DO SO.

Wooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooo.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lablove you have some terrific successes there - BUT the Bestest would have to be finishing at the Nationals last weekend. I heard that after the first day there were only 11 dogs out of 49 left. :thumbsup:

SO HUGE CONGRATULATIONS - GO THE GIRLS :laugh: (in a very male dominated sport!)

So not me to post a photo, but do I look happy? I played it safe, with luck!!!

Need a belt and less padded jacket, ha.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. His daugher won it last year, and his home bred sibling in 2004 and 2007. Breeding can be fun.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/L...to/DSC00785.jpg

Edited by Lablover

Another brag for me today :laugh:

Leo debuted in the UD ring today and did me proud :laugh: I had NO idea how he was going to go and like most green dogs you expect a few (or a lot) of errors :wave:

AM trial he missed the seekback and then in the directed jumping went back to LOOk for the seekback :rofl:. Other than that he gained almost full points on all other exercises only loosing a point or two here and there (when the HANDLER drops the article it doesn't help :eek: ). :welcome: To say I am happy.... well that doesn't really cover it :hug:. He worked far better than I ever anticipated :laugh:

PM trial he was pretty tired and given the heat of the day he didn't work so well (boy there were a lot of 0's in that round!). He missed the seekback again, BUT did the box this time... only dropping next to it :laugh:. Apparently mum was SO excited when he brought the metal article back he decided to bring back ANOTHER metal article ;). On the whole again - he did well, sometimes just needing a second command to switch that brain in ;)

Kinta was also entered :laugh:. A really disappointing first trial, sitting on 188, got bitten by a bug in the down stay and the sat up to scratch it off her ear (wasn't even a stress scratch... just a OMG I have an ITCH! :laugh: )... so blew a first place.

Luckily in the PM trial she behaved really well... messed up her heeling a little so was a little disappointed with that, but like Leo she was also tired and hot :laugh:. ended up with first place and 191 Qualie

:laugh::cheer:

Am very proud of the kiddies tonight :laugh:

Another brag for me today :laugh:

Leo debuted in the UD ring today and did me proud :laugh: I had NO idea how he was going to go and like most green dogs you expect a few (or a lot) of errors :rofl:

AM trial he missed the seekback and then in the directed jumping went back to LOOk for the seekback :eek:. Other than that he gained almost full points on all other exercises only loosing a point or two here and there (when the HANDLER drops the article it doesn't help :hug: ). :laugh: To say I am happy.... well that doesn't really cover it ;). He worked far better than I ever anticipated :laugh:

PM trial he was pretty tired and given the heat of the day he didn't work so well (boy there were a lot of 0's in that round!). He missed the seekback again, BUT did the box this time... only dropping next to it :laugh:. Apparently mum was SO excited when he brought the metal article back he decided to bring back ANOTHER metal article ;). On the whole again - he did well, sometimes just needing a second command to switch that brain in ;)

Kinta was also entered :wave:. A really disappointing first trial, sitting on 188, got bitten by a bug in the down stay and the sat up to scratch it off her ear (wasn't even a stress scratch... just a OMG I have an ITCH! :laugh: )... so blew a first place.

Luckily in the PM trial she behaved really well... messed up her heeling a little so was a little disappointed with that, but like Leo she was also tired and hot :laugh:. ended up with first place and 191 Qualie

:cheer::laugh:

Am very proud of the kiddies tonight :laugh:

You should be tickled pink with Leo's UD debut :welcome: To complete so many of the exercises is a credit to you and his training. The hunting for the seekback when you send them to the box is a real novice dog thing.

Well done on Kinta's 1st place - she will be in open before you know it ;)

Thanks Ptolomy! it's the silliest feeling ever grinning away when your dog has a whole bunch of zero's to their name :laugh:

He really struggled with the seekback - he would go out a few paces and then come back and look at me. Once he picked up the scent he was REALLY good though :cheer:

PM trial... well I think he made up for it in Zero's (I think we only had about 50pts total :laugh: ) but I was still rapt that he could do the principal parts of the exercise ;)

As for Kinta.... we'll see what she pulls next time :welcome:. A 200 perhaps?!?! :laugh:

ETA - thanks Ness... love the new siggy :laugh:

Edited by leopuppy04

Leo did better then Ness would ever do - no way would I do two UD trials on the same day she struggles enough with trials on two consecutive days :laugh: .

Have to say leopuppy thats a bit the way it goes with UD - you either score 0 or you score well for the most part ;) .

ETA. The other bit of advice which I found helpful for me (this wasn't a Ptolomy piece either, least I don't think it was :welcome: ) was not to continue with the directed jumping if they somehow miss the seekback - same goes at training. So if I was doing a ring session we might do seekback and if she messed up I would in the early stages do something other than sendaways so we might just do signals heelwork and then come back and do DJ.

I found that if she missed the seekback even if I had pointed out the article to her and had her collect it or I showed her I had picked it up and put it away on the way back up the ring she would still get it into her head that she had to go and find the seekback when I lined her up for the box. She would always manage to find the box the second time but on the first time would go back into seekback mode. I also find if she hasn't done her seekback nicely then I will also get sendaway issues. And I know now she really does know what the box is but I think its some sort of mental hangup.

Edited by ness

One other bit of UD advice - although I probably don't listen enough to or follow up on in hindsight it is that don't be stuck into going all the way through if the dog messes up. I find the more mistakes the dog makes the more it starts to go pearshaped and especially in UD. I think I made a mistake of trying to get through it all even if the dog was making errors for the sake of doing so rather getting one exercise correct and then withdrawing or even just withdrawing and then going and doing some outside the ring with her so it wasn't a negative experience.

I know occasionally its nice to test out all the exercises in a ring but in the long run I am not sure its done us too many favours. My general rule is that errors due to anticipation I will continue or over enthusiasm and I will continue but anything else I excuse myself from the ring.

Hmm scratching head trying to pull something positive from today.

My little open girl was used as a stand in for UD stays. Usually I would have had to stay with her, but today the judge said remove your lead, so I did, and then are you ready, and leave your dog - so I did, and she managed both the stand stay and the 7 minute down. :laugh:

So I asked for a stay credit for 3 weeks time when we enter our first UD trial ;)

Congrats on your UD debut LP!!! Sounds like a pretty good shot at your first time in UD! :laugh:

I too have a brag! Ella again scored 196 and first place tonight... still trying to crack a perfect score for heelwork which I was hoping for tonight but that pesky one point still got docked for a stupid slow sit!! ;) Still a very happy owner tonight! :welcome::laugh:

LP congrats on your first UD trial. Was it scary? And how did youknow when it was time to bite the bullet and go for it?

Seita this is becoming a habit with you. Congratulations..

LOL, I think Ella just felt she had to prove that she was consistent... she got the same score under the same judge as last week! Almost an identical run out to last week as well! Only one exercise different! :thumbsup:

Well done everyone, this thread motivates me to go training, lol.

To add our brag - Minty FINALLY got her ADX title last weekend - filling out the title application, I realised that her first pass was in August 2007 :laugh: and the last four have been in the last two months :) Dunno what was going on there, but we just couldn't seem to get it together between then and this year. Oh well, on to Masters now.

Edited by superminty