Halti Vs Choke Chain

I use check chains, used a martingale before and dogs didnt really respond to them, and i didnt really like them.

mine were the same with the soft martingale whereas with the 1/2 leather 1/2 chain one they still get the conditioned noise and you can't overtighten it as it only tightens so far

Depends what training method you use

A chain remains slack until you apply a quick correction - no correction no pressure

A halti on the other hand provides no correction, it is more of a leading aid

The only cruel method is one that doesnt suit or help the dog in a productive manner.

Depends what training method you use

A chain remains slack until you apply a quick correction - no correction no pressure

A halti on the other hand provides no correction, it is more of a leading aid

The only cruel method is one that doesnt suit or help the dog in a productive manner.

Agree totally.

I use check chain. The dog is responsive, the chain should always be slack. If a correction is needed, it is quick snap then a quick release.

(ETA: If I am going general walk.. I use flat collar. I onlly use chain when I am training to signal it is training and a higher level of um. concentration is required. Straight before and after training, it is a flat collar.)

I don't like haltis as they may stop a dog from pulling, but they are always correcting to some degree as through their design there is always a small upward tension between snaphook and lead. Not to mention, even when they are slack, they rub.

Edited by Mystiqview

what a beautiful dog :laugh:

I use a 1/2 leather,1/2 run through chain on my lot

post-6329-1237501798.jpg

I use this exact limited slip collar! Love it! :)

Previously I was most comfortable with a check chain, but this doesn't slip down or lose its "check" position as easily as it has a leather component.

Hi just wondering which people think is the friendlier option. Halti or choke chain?

We have a 7 month old GSD who heals quite nicely on both.

Thanks

Very cute puppy :laugh:

I use a Lupi harness to stop pulling. It stays slack most of the time and provides correction only when they pull.

Hi just wondering which people think is the friendlier option. Halti or choke chain?

We have a 7 month old GSD who heals quite nicely on both.

Thanks

Very cute puppy :laugh:

I use a Lupi harness to stop pulling. It stays slack most of the time and provides correction only when they pull.

I dont see how a harness wouldnt stop puling, i mean what do sled dogs where to help them pull sleds? JMO

what a beautiful dog :laugh:

I use a 1/2 leather,1/2 run through chain on my lot

post-6329-1237501798.jpg

I use this exact limited slip collar! Love it! :)

Previously I was most comfortable with a check chain, but this doesn't slip down or lose its "check" position as easily as it has a leather component.

they are the best :rofl: I'm getting one in pink and one in red next week,can't wait to see them

My dog was originally trained a full check. Now I just use a soft half check (martingale) as the chain sound is all that is needed. My trainer taught me never to take my dog for a walk on the full check as he was to know when it was put on that it was time to work.

I have been training dogs for a long time now and I have seen many 'experts' and their 'revolutionary' methods come and go.

I started training my own dogs with a club and then went on to instruct at a time when choker chains were what was used. I can remember being taught that you only used the choker when you were training so the dog knew that it was supposed to be working. Now I think that a dog should walk quietly beside you whenever it is walking and that every walk is a training or reinforcing session.

Over the years I changed with the various correction methods the club pushed at the time and eventually started to use only martingale collars, half chain, half webbing even when they were saying that an ordinary collar should be used.

I felt that martingale collars were very good and eventually the club changed and now that is what they push. They are certainly very suitable for a trained dog

however

I have now gone back to training my own pups on a choker chain, ensuring that the correction is quick, to the side and that after the correction is given the lead is loose. I believe that this gets the 'message' to the pup the quickest and reduces the amount of ineffective corrections that end up having to be given when using a martingale collar on a puppy.

Because pups are so enthusiastic I find that the training lesson ends up being one continual pull feist which drives me up the wall and must really be uncomfortable for the pup.

It is unfortunate that the current groundswell of opinion is so against using the choker chain. What is said is that a choker chain is cruel and I agree that in the wrong hands it could be. What I would like to see is new puppy owner/trainers being more thoroughly taught the correct method of using the choker chain and clubs being more aware that some dogs may do better on a choker than on other types of collar.

Every dog is different and every handler is different. Is is important to use the best methods for your dog.

Edited by STITCH

1) It's a check chain. You don't choke your dogs.

2) Everything that can be done on a check can, imo, be done on a head collar.

Both are tools, both can have the same results.

I'd use a check, they're cheaper, easier to use and easier to fit (and I am better with one).

Head collars are ugly as well :confused:

Heidii, I've never seen the harness in question but it must apply pressure when the dog pulls, enough pressure to be uncomfortable.

Edited by Just Midol

If I had a responsive dog that didnt' pull, I wouldn't use either.

I wish :thumbsup:

at the moment, he does still pull in a soft collar

I agree. As a FYI neither would work well on a sighthound - halti could be dangerious, and a sighthound can get out of a choke. In my shepherds I had, I found a martingale worked just as well as a choke- more so is it is a single source of tension, but rather the area is larger than a single point choke. With a halti there are reports of a neck injuries from the dog suddenly bolting, twisting the neck.. ( yikes..).

A martingale is a soft collar as far as feel, only tightens but not in a single stress area which is good for the disc bones in the neck. Give it a try...