Anal Glands Info Needed

dogon

So sorry for this topic. I know it's positively :laugh: material.

I came home today to a very smelly Rodney...fishy and gross. I know it's his anal glands because the vet has emptied them before. So my question is this: Is this a chronic problem for some dogs? I don't want to be spending $60 bucks a month to get them emptied if I can help it. I guess I'm interested to know what people have experienced before I go to the vet and take their views and solutions as gospel (operation, medicine etc)

So is it reasonable to expect that Rodney has a chronic problem? can it be fixed through diet? or will he need an op. OR should I do none of this?

OMG the stench!!!! :o Excuse me while I get this dog outside, NOW :eek:

Thanks in advance for advice

So sorry for this topic. I know it's positively :laugh: material.

I came home today to a very smelly Rodney...fishy and gross. I know it's his anal glands because the vet has emptied them before. So my question is this: Is this a chronic problem for some dogs? I don't want to be spending $60 bucks a month to get them emptied if I can help it. I guess I'm interested to know what people have experienced before I go to the vet and take their views and solutions as gospel (operation, medicine etc)

So is it reasonable to expect that Rodney has a chronic problem? can it be fixed through diet? or will he need an op. OR should I do none of this?

OMG the stench!!!! :o Excuse me while I get this dog outside, NOW :eek:

Thanks in advance for advice

How are his poos - runny or solid?

Barkly gets a bit whiffy if his poos are soft for a couple of days.

Some dogs are prone to this, usually the smaller breeds but not always, ask your vet to show you how to empty them, it's quite easy once you know how and you do get used to the smell :laugh: I would never recommend surgery to remove anal glands unless it's absolutely necessary, it's a messy op and recovery time can be quite long. If the anal glands are emptied regularly they won't get infected and form an abscess and surgery will never be necessary.

Some dogs are prone to this, usually the smaller breeds but not always, ask your vet to show you how to empty them, it's quite easy once you know how and you do get used to the smell :eek: I would never recommend surgery to remove anal glands unless it's absolutely necessary, it's a messy op and recovery time can be quite long. If the anal glands are emptied regularly they won't get infected and form an abscess and surgery will never be necessary.

You took the words right out of my mouth! :laugh: My beagle has this anal gland problem and I've been shown by my vet how to do the dirty deed of expressing them. First time I did it I thought I was going to be sick but you know, you get over it.

Thanks guys

Yes, his poos have been quite runny for about a week and a half now.

Claireybell, I could do that. A friend told me that I can do it myself. This she tells me right after she graphically described her husbands attempt to empty their pug and anal juice squirted into his eye :laugh:

That really put me off!

So, is it possible that Rodney has an infection? He's been chasing his bum and rubbing it on the ground for about two weeks now. Naughty doggy mummy :eek:

Louie does have a problem with his - never smell Evie's at all.

I simply learnt how to express them myself. Hard to explain (my breeder showed me how to do it). Basically I pull his tail up a bit - not so it hurts but enough to make the glands easier to feel. Wear rubber gloves and have a tissue to mop up the 'juice' - feel for two 'pea' size things then gently squeeze them until they express - do it outside otherwise it stinks - don't do it with your mouth open (its never happened to me but I've heard of horror stories of shooting anal juice :laugh:) Best get your vet to teach you but to save money you may need to learn how to do it yourself.

Louie does have a problem with his - never smell Evie's at all.

I simply learnt how to express them myself. Hard to explain (my breeder showed me how to do it). Basically I pull his tail up a bit - not so it hurts but enough to make the glands easier to feel. Wear rubber gloves and have a tissue to mop up the 'juice' - feel for two 'pea' size things then gently squeeze them until they express - do it outside otherwise it stinks - don't do it with your mouth open (its never happened to me but I've heard of horror stories of shooting anal juice :laugh:) Best get your vet to teach you but to save money you may need to learn how to do it yourself.

Well described Pug Hugger. :eek:

A good way to do is when you are bathing them as they are easier to clean up then.

Look at Rodney's diet. Try to include chicken neck/wings and other raw meaty bones.

You need to firm up the poo. The bones will also, when being excreted, pierce the sacs thus doing the emptying for you.

Some dogs just have a problem so try to keep on top of it. Skidding is a sign that things are not right (I am assuming he gets wormed so this should not be the reason)

Good luck

Ditto on the firming up of the poos.

Have you changed diet recently? Could that be reason for the runny poos?

If not, maybe a stomach bug?

If it's diet related, a couple of chicken frames and a day or two later, the poos will firm up and the anal glands will take care of themselves. Well, works for Barkly anyway.

Edited by Luke W

My last Golden retriever had a terrible problem with hers, having them emptied every two weeks and were always infected. Had a good diet, so the decision was made given every two weeks they were causing terrible problems to have them removed. It costed $400 for the surgery and she was much happier and healthier. We were aware of the risks involved and were prepared for the possibility of faecal incontinence and decided it was the best option. She came home with alot of stitches and drains stitched on both sides of her anus. She had incontinence for 5 days but was perfectly fine after that.

Yes try to firm up the poohs first - Louie however is one of the dogs that has the problem regardless - fortunately it is manageable and his will only fill up every 4 weeks or so. If you can get the pooh firm and they express naturally is best of course.

And thank you BB - nice to know I am good at somethings - even if it squeezing my dogs butthole and then telling others about it :party:

It is very easy.either doit on bath day or grab a damp cloth & squeeze.All done in 5 secs .

It is so easy it isnt funny & $60 charged by a vet is ludicrous .

If you dont want to.phone the grooming salonsin your area & mosr will do them for $5-10

Poodlefan gave a rather detailed description on how to clear the glands so if you're game I've cut and pasted it below - can't work out how to do a link.

Brace yourself: :party:

QUOTE:

Ok Yappy and V.A.H, here we go (here's a post I never thought I would do)

However, I would caution that this is something that you really need to see done a couple of times... nothing like hands on experience Get your vet to show you..

Gloves are for sissies by the way!

Dog into washing place, run the tap warm.

Feel around the dog's anus with your thumb and forefinger.. do this gently or you might get a nasty "spontaneous" surprise..

At around the four o'clock and eight o'clock position (think of a clock face) you should be able to feel two slight bulges..probably about a centimetre or so from the opening of the anus - these are the glands. What you want to do is put your thumb and finger on the outside of the glands and push in behind them and then up towards the opening of the anus in a kind of 'milking' movement - the trick is slow and steady pressure not hard or sharp.

If you get this right you will get a secretion from the anal glands. The secretion will vary in consistency from very liquid (kind of looks like coffee) to almost like tooth paste. This can almost erupt out or arrive more slowly. When I do it it basically deposits on my hand which I then rinse under the tap and do the dog's bum while I'm there. Some people do it into a tissue but I prefer to rinse if off. I don't find it particularly smelly or unpleasant - but I'm probably used to it.

Safety tips - have the dog's bum facing slightly away from you - this stuff ain't nice in your face as a friend of mine can attest to. You will be doing this by feel and not by sight anyway.

If nothing arrives under gentle pressure, STOP. You are either squeezing the gland and not opening it or there's nothing in it. Some books provide explanations of this practice with pics BTW

Oh, by the way, Teddy will tell you if you're not getting it right. This is a very sensitive area on a dog - too much pressure and it hurts them.

OK V.A.H - how did I go! [i'm picturing readers feeling their dogs bums ]

END QUOTE

oh the joys of dog ownership....

taffydog

I feed Rodney Eukanuba twice daily and a chicken wing each morning. Sometimes we mix in sardines or an egg with his dry food. We also use a chicken treat for cats as rewards because they are soft and he doesnt seem to like crunchy rewards. The vet said that we should cut out sardines, eggs and the cat treats for a while and just stick to dry food and the chicken wing. She also suggested raw meat for treats instead eg chuck steak. Bones are the best so we must be doing something right!

The vet 'emptied' him but he didn't have much juice left. This suggests that he had emptied himself out about the same time that I got home - hence the stench.

Edited by dogon

I feed Rodney Eukanuba twice daily and a chicken wing each morning. Sometimes we mix in sardines or an egg with his dry food. We also use a chicken treat for cats as rewards because they are soft and he doesnt seem to like crunchy rewards. The vet said that we should cut out sardines, eggs and the cat treats for a while and just stick to dry food and the chicken wing. She also suggested raw meat for treats instead eg chuck steak. Bones are the best so we must be doing something right!

The vet 'emptied' him but he didn't have much juice left. This suggests that he had emptied himself out about the same time that I got home - hence the stench.

My dogs used to have soft poos when they were on Eukanuba. Try a grain free diet like Artemis.

I would be adding some harder raw meaty bones to his diet. A lamb neck, backbone or flap at least once a week.

You can also add fibre with pulped veggies and/or flaxseed oil.

:rofl: Why would the vet suggest cutting out sardines and eggs. Silly vet.

When you feed the egg you should also feed the shell. I put mine through the food processor when I make up the veggie/fruit slops.