"new" Dry Foods At Our Local Pet Food Place

Our local pet food place has just started stocking Uncle Albers, which is apparently an Australian made dry food.

They also had a promotion day for Purina Pro Plan last weekend and were handing out samples of their Australian made food - we tried 'large breed' and 'sensitive' types. The dogs ate them but they'll eat anything!

Both brands claim to be primarily 'meat' - Pro Plan Sensitive says 'Salmon' as its main ingredient, then brewer's rice.

Has anyone studied the ingredients of these, or fed them for any length of time?

We try to do mainly raw and Dr B Barf patties, but still seem to go through a lot of dry food (mainly Royal Canin) with three dogs. Stevie used to have ear infections regularly when she was on just dry food, which is why we try to use the 'skin and sensitive' type mixtures.

Independent dog food reviews and ingredient analysis can be found at www.dogfoodanalysis.com Very interesting and eye opening!

No matter what the ratings if your dog doesn't do well on the food it is crap.

Stevie used to have ear infections regularly when she was on just dry food, which is why we try to use the 'skin and sensitive' type mixtures.

A number of dogs with on again off again ear issues react to beet pulp in some dry foods. Might be worth working out if that adds up to your experience.

Sags

:thumbsup:

I'd go with the Uncle Albers. Very satisfied customer here. Have tried many other varieties of food, including some so-called "super premium" foods but always come back to Uncle Albers or Great Barko (both made by the same company - Laucke Mills in South Australia).

:laugh: for Uncle Albers here...but it does have a high fat content. Excellent for working dogs- or to keep condition on in this cold weather!

Oh- in tiny niblets- is excellent pig-training treat material :laugh:

Edited by persephone

My dogs dont like Uncle Albers or Great Barko, am feeding whats left to the magpies! Seems I,m not the only one who,s dogs wont eat it as our local Produce store told me they are not going to stock it anymore after negative feedback.

Wow...my guys will make pigs of themselves to get the Uncle Albers/Great Barko...and so will the cats for that matter! I keep waiting for them to bring out a cat food so we can try it here for the kitties.

ProPlan has been around for quite a while now and is up there with Royal Canin etc - i prefer RC but the ProPlan is a close second :shrug:

I feed mostly raw - with a bit of Eagle pack fish) a couple of times a week as part of breakfast. I tried the pro plan sensitive salmon, bought it for a change, but within a week their coats looked like crap, so gave the rest of the bag away!

My guys love Uncle Albers, and it was the end of an itchy Benson when I started him on it. They look fabulous with their coats the best they've ever been.

They have mostly raw but 1-2 meals a week of Uncle Albers.

Edited by GayleK

Should have included in my last post that I was disappointed my girls didn't like the Laucke Mills made Uncle Albers and Great Barko dog food. I love their bread mix and have been using it for years.

Wow...my guys will make pigs of themselves to get the Uncle Albers/Great Barko...and so will the cats for that matter!

*whisper* One of my horses is rather partial to it too. Mind you, he is the one which I've always thought was a dog in a horse suit so I shouldn't be surprised.

Seriously though, if he happens to be in the yard when I'm feeding, he'll do anything to get his nose in the dog bowls to steal the GB or UA!! I usually have to slap him on the end of the schnozz to get him to keep it out of my way! :shrug:

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a look at the dogfoodanalysis site, but it's mainly a North American site and doesn't take into account the Aussie-made factor - most of the 6 or 5 star foods will never be available in Australia without irradiation (not recommended) or further cooking. My cat suffered horribly after eating Orijen, another reason I'm looking for Aussie-made.

It was interesting to read about the way ingredients are listed. Does it make sense that meat might be listed as the first product, but if it's counted as 'wet', then dehydrated, it may not be the highest component of the food at all, but the grains/rice are?

I wish I could just get Dr B's BARF in a drier crunchier (less smelly, easier to handle in the early morning) version.

Independent dog food reviews and ingredient analysis can be found at www.dogfoodanalysis.com Very interesting and eye opening!

No matter what the ratings if your dog doesn't do well on the food it is crap.

Totally agree.

I have used Pro Plan salmon for well over 6 yrs now & the dogs thrive on it.

In our house we have different brands for the different breeds & some individuals because each dog is different.

My dogs suck on BARF so there is no way i would feed it soley.

My dogs are healthy,live long lives & are lucky to visit the vets once a year .

Does it make sense that meat might be listed as the first product, but if it's counted as 'wet', then dehydrated, it may not be the highest component of the food at all, but the grains/rice are?

It's a cheeky way of doing it - but a number of brands list them that way. However a bit of research will show you which ones do it that way and which ones don't :(

Hey Katdogs! :thumbsup: Since the horror that was Orijen, Molly's been on Great Barko and she is doing so well on it; better than she was on either Orijen or Eagle Pack. Have to say, I was happy with Eagle Pack Holistic but due to the ongoing vet costs for Diesel I had to look at something more economical and decided to try GB after reading all of the positive reviews on here.

I can confidently say that Molly is rhe shiniest black labrador in the Eastern Suburbs :thumbsup:

Edited by nksyd