Help Me Get Weight On My Dog

My dog is a two year old GSD. She's 29kg. I can feel her ribs and she looks a tad skinny.

She gets per day:

- 900gm raw of one chicken carcass, with beef mince and chicken wings (and liver, heart, etc chopped now and again, she doesnt eat it much)

- one cup (250ml size) royal canin kibble

Daily activity that i know of is sleeping with the old run to chase the birds off her breakfast plus a 30mins walk in the mornings.

She has always been a skinny dog. She is wormed every three months.

I agree feed more.

Weighing food is fine but reality is it often doesnt work .

Also for some dogs raw foods just dont do it.

I would be feeding more bulkier meals.There isnt alot of bulk in what your feeding.

For example my young setter who runs an acre all day gets 2 cups of proplan salmon.half kg of mutton.tuckertime & chicken necks.

More or less depending on his weight.

Some GSD do have food digestive issues & sometimes need some help in food absorption but i would be trying more food

could you post a picture,

not saying this is you but i find alot of peoples dogs are overweight and thats thin dogs are unhealthy. you should be able to see a bit of rib.

Your dog looks like it is extrememely fit and just pure muscle. There needs to be a bit of fat as well, in case the dog becomes ill, as they have nothing to fall back on. It also helps to keep the dog a bit warmer in winter.

I keep my dogs very fit as well and I applaud your dog's muscle tone, but it does need a light cover of fat to go with it.

To the OP, I have several mature GSD bitches and they would all be around the 29kg mark. It depends on the height and general build of your girl, as to whether or not she is actually underweight. Pics. would help.

Julie

try adding a meal of carbs....cook up some pasta for example and toss in a can of tomatos for flavour, honey or whatever you havein the house. Give her a couple cups of that at bedtime so she can sleep on it. It keeps a long time in the fridge so a batch will you you a bit (it also freezes well)

I'd agree with a meal of the fattier cuts of meat ..lamb flaps.. a 6 cm square, is a good start ..as some dogs ned to get used to the extra fat. Work up to what she needs..

We NEVER weigh food- just go by what the dogs look like. It's not hard- skinny?feed more Chunky? feed less.

Edited by persephone

Why don't you just feed her more?

I'd double the kibble or raw food until she put on a couple of kilos and then cut it back again.

Lots of people have suggested this, she only just barely eats what i give her now. Hence why i dont give her more, she just wont eat it. I was giving her three cups of dry plus more meat but it just all went to waste. The amount i'm giving her is what is would eat every day of that, if that.

try adding a meal of carbs....cook up some pasta for example and toss in a can of tomatos for flavour, honey or whatever you havein the house. Give her a couple cups of that at bedtime so she can sleep on it. It keeps a long time in the fridge so a batch will you you a bit (it also freezes well)

Thats a good idea, i'll start with the carbs thanks. I had the impression pasta wasnt good because it was just a filler, but i guess in her case it will do her good. :D