Training Treats

Quick question to all..

Any advice on good ideas for training treats? My boy gets bored of certain food rewards quite quickly - wouldn't mind putting together a decent arsenal of snack ideas to keep him interested :)

Any tips?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG :) ;) :banghead:

For Happy Paws Treats - my fussy whippets love them

We have really excelled at obedience thanks to the treaties

They love all of them - we are currently trying rabbit and roast chicken plus a big bag of perfect pooch

Can't speech highly enough of them especially for dogs that are a bit fussy. Mine greet the treats at the post box.

No preservatives - good for an atopic dog of mine

Service is fantastic

BIG :) ;) :banghead:

For Happy Paws Treats - my fussy whippets love them

We have really excelled at obedience thanks to the treaties

They love all of them - we are currently trying rabbit and roast chicken plus a big bag of perfect pooch

Can't speech highly enough of them especially for dogs that are a bit fussy. Mine greet the treats at the post box.

No preservatives - good for an atopic dog of mine

Service is fantastic

:thumbsup: Okay, thats the kind of reaction I am hoping for!

Website looks good, might try the perfect pooch first, although I am interested in the rabbit.... thanx guys. :banghead:

Some things I like to use:

4 Legs treats from the supermarket

Polony

Black pudding sausage

normal sausages

Chopped up leftover roast meat, cooked chicken

BBQ chicken

Nature's gift treats

Cheese

Also a fan of happy paws treats here too! :)

To be honest i use just about anything for training treats. Bom's most favourite is roast chicken but i also use cheese, polish sausage, meatloaf, schmako's stick thingo's (can't think of the name!), ham, liver cooked in the frying pan is another favourite. :banghead: Anything that's soft that i can cut into smaller pieces generally gets chucked into the treat bag. ;)

Quick question to all..

Any advice on good ideas for training treats? My boy gets bored of certain food rewards quite quickly - wouldn't mind putting together a decent arsenal of snack ideas to keep him interested :)

Any tips?

When im training i like to have 3 types of treats all mixed up.A really good one,an ok one and an average one,so ill have something like steak,sausage and natures gift treats.This way your dog doesnt know whats coming,i find they dont get bored of the type of food as easy as it keeps them guessing at what theyll get.

At my obedience club we use Chunkers. The dogs love them & Tilba is happy to work for a minute amount. They are small meat balls & I can get about 20 bits out of one. They are available from the pet fridge section of Woolies & Coles.

Edited by luvsdogs

Hi I too look for different ideas now as the hot weather is approaching and fresh isn't always sensably and at Westernport trail there was a stall run by T&K DOYLE www.dogtreatsaustralia.com they had a variety of dry flavoured ie; tuna , lamb. beef etc; my dogs loved it anyone else tried ?

GLORYBEA :wave:

Ingham Chicken Rolls or Skinless Frankfurts (This would need to be cooked)!

I use the chicken rolls (Which can be purchase from any Dairy Case from Safeway and (I am assuming) Coles!

Just cut one slice out and cut them into smaller pieces. My dog absolutely love anything fresh as oppose to Smackos or dried food!

I use a variety of things too - mostly small, soft and easy to eat so you can do lots of reps quickly. Usually have two or three in together. I cut into cubes things like low fat tasty sheese, devon, chicken loaf from the deli, but one of my favourites - and they'd probably be good in warmer weather, is things called Ameican hot dogs (skinless frankfurters) which I cut into quarters lengthwise, then cut small slices, then microwave them on a paper towel. Very tasty, not too greasy - you zap them to your liking. :wave:

I use a variety too. I love the Happy Paws treats for general training, although when I have Daisy out for for drive work/obedience I have to stick to soft and smelly treats (chicken, cooked sausages, kabana, cheese, steak etc) because she won't chew before she swallows and if I use anything dried, she'll cough it back up :wave:

Ingham Chicken Rolls or Skinless Frankfurts (This would need to be cooked)!

I use the chicken rolls (Which can be purchase from any Dairy Case from Safeway and (I am assuming) Coles!

Just cut one slice out and cut them into smaller pieces. My dog absolutely love anything fresh as oppose to Smackos or dried food!

This one sounds good... as I have been told by Kobe's trainer that in some training instances we need to use white-ish treats, so he can see them on the ground (I am teaching him circle work)... so I might try the chicken roll...

Thanks a bunch for all the ideas :D

Edited by Bex_sta79

I just buy liver from the supermarket and stick it in the over until it's well cooked through and then slice it up. My pooch ABSOLUTELY loves these little training treats and liver is VERY cheap (about $2 for more than you would get in a normal sized bag at the supermarket. I like the fact that I can be sure that there's no preservatives in them too. :D

I just buy liver from the supermarket and stick it in the over until it's well cooked through and then slice it up. My pooch ABSOLUTELY loves these little training treats and liver is VERY cheap (about $2 for more than you would get in a normal sized bag at the supermarket. I like the fact that I can be sure that there's no preservatives in them too. :D

I use liver too, mine will jump through hoops for liver, even my oldest who is not food oriented!! I boil it for traiing as it is nice and soft and I roast it for general treats for out and about. If I dont have liver I use cheese, roast meat (left overs) chunkers, any deli meats ham straz etc. I dont use any hard treats for training as I think they can be treated quicker with the soft stuff and not have to chew it to much.

I get my livers form one of our local butchers for a 1/4 of the price of the supermarket, they are 50cents each!!