The Best Thing I Heard At The Royal Was...

Elfin

LOL I get the size comment with my two Border Collie's all the time. One is a fraction smaller then standard but the other is well and truely within standard. What I did laugh at is somebody once asked me if I had 2 shelties. I know you can get black and white shelties but still when you think sheltie you don't think of a black and white dog do you :) .

Some guy did come up to me outside the shops the other day and ask what breed of Border Collie they were - hmmm yep next question :eek: .

The other classic I had was somebody commented on my nice kelpie x - hmmmm since when do pedigree showline BCs look even remotely like a kelpie X :eek: .

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was helping another exhibitor out holding some beautiful and perfectly-sized Border Collies ringside at one of last year's Royals.. An onlooker passing by leaned across the fence and looked scornfully down at the dogs and their ribbons commenting disdainfully;... "WE had a Border Collie once but OURS was MUCH, much bigger than THAT" then marched off dismissively. Obviously a breed expert and we ought to lift our game... :eek:

:) Save us from Royals. :eek:

I know the feeling with this one. I took Bella to the last Pet Expo for the gundog stand - she is the perfect size for a Brittany and was so sick of being told she is so small for a Brittany compared to theirs or whoever else's Brittany. Next year am going to take an oversized one

Oh wow, really?? Hey at least they knew what they were! lol!! :)

Try having a breed that many exhibitors have never heard of, let alone the public :) . If I went to a car show I'm sure I'd call all sorts of things the wrong name because I have no knowledge of cars - I'd probably still try to tell my kids about what we were looking at, even if I got it a bit arsed up.

At least people care and come and have a look at the dogs. We need to start worrying when they're not interested IMO.

:-) aaaah yes....the "you could put a saddle on that thing" or the "how many kids does he eat a day" or the classic in the all knowing voice....its a.....'wire haired great dane' or 'staghound' !!!!

And then you get the old Irishmen......aaaaahhhh yesss, a wolfhound, but of course my uncle/father/cousin had one 'THIS' big....(holds hand up to their face) !!!!

fifi

Ahhh...yes....the ringside experts. Who proclaimed the buff American Cocker puppy was a Baby Bulldog! :(

Or the really knowledgeable woman at ringside one year who swore up and down that she had had a black Golden Retriever when she was young! :thumbsup:

Ahhh...yes....the ringside experts. Who proclaimed the buff American Cocker puppy was a Baby Bulldog! :(

Or the really knowledgeable woman at ringside one year who swore up and down that she had had a black Golden Retriever when she was young! :thumbsup:

:champagne::cheers::cheer: In what world could even the most uninitiated dog person think a Yankee baby could be mistaken for a Bulldog????????? Gobsmacked! :(

Back in the early nineties I had A Saint Bernard - Chalet Saints Kathmandu. He was 125 kg and 36 inches at the shoulder when he got his title. I always chuckled at the people that had bigger dogs especially the perfect 85 kilo rotties :( .

whilst at a royal Melb one joe public with kids said what a lovely border collie much to the alarm of a woman who was blind who replied she was blind but could tell it was not a collie :thumbsup: But the best of all went to MR. Gordan Deanna (not sure of spelling ) at a show in Wagga Wagga who stated to me when I rocked up to exhibit the KAT " I'm sorry sir but we have already judged the Bernese Moutain Dogs ". Well I nearly collapsed in shock horror much to the delight of all within earshot !!

Back in the early nineties I had A Saint Bernard - Chalet Saints Kathmandu. He was 125 kg and 36 inches at the shoulder when he got his title. I always chuckled at the people that had bigger dogs especially the perfect 85 kilo rotties :( .

whilst at a royal Melb one joe public with kids said what a lovely border collie much to the alarm of a woman who was blind who replied she was blind but could tell it was not a collie :thumbsup: But the best of all went to MR. Gordan Deanna (not sure of spelling ) at a show in Wagga Wagga who stated to me when I rocked up to exhibit the KAT " I'm sorry sir but we have already judged the Bernese Moutain Dogs ". Well I nearly collapsed in shock horror much to the delight of all within earshot !!

HMMM sounds like us. Open show aspiring group 5 judge (about to sit exams). Sable puppy GSD male very plush in coat, only to be told I am sorry madam the Belgians have already been judged. :(:champagne::cheers::cheer::clap:

2 years ago @ Sydney Royal, may daughter then 2 1/2 fell asleep in the bench, the dog benched there had very accommodatingly gone to sleep on the ground.

How many times were we asked what kind of dog was the child? Was she expensive to feed? How much did she cost?

The answers were The rare Homo Sapian sheepdog. Not that much as she only ate scraps. And $15000, but with the baby bonus only $10000. :thumbsup:

Also asked< "if the dogs liked her, well obvously not as they wouldn't sleep with her?" not that we wouldn't let the dogs sleep with the child.

At the Adelaide Royal a man and his wife came over and started telling me about Jack Russell's, how nasty they were. He showed me the scars on his arms and legs from where his had bitten him :( He also has a bitch, who is a daughter to the one who bites him :(:champagne:

I told him mine had never done anything like that, and he said just wait, they will turn on you one day :thumbsup:

My nan's Min Pin "Can I pat your Rottweiler" - yes he was very serious.. lol

Our pointers always get "gee you dalmatian doesnt have many spots?"

But my favourite this year was for my mothers chinese crested... "oohh i dont think i can touch that... it probably feels like a shavved nut sack..."

gotta love the royals LOL :( :(

Not confined to Royals, the question I usually get is....."what's the difference, do they bark funny or something" when people are told that my dogs are AMERICAN Cocker Spaniels. And of course, the inevitable, "my grandfather/uncle/brother/father had an Australian Cocker Spaniel"..... *sigh*

My nan's Min Pin "Can I pat your Rottweiler" - yes he was very serious.. lol

:(

My Min Pin, even though he is only young, but some people asked if he was a Dobermann! But that is definitely strange!

Keep them coming everyone! I'm so amused by what is being said at the Royals!

But my favourite this year was for my mothers chinese crested... "oohh i dont think i can touch that... it probably feels like a shavved nut sack..."

:(:(:laugh:

Makes you wonder how they know what a shaved nut sack feels like!!!!!!!!!!!

I ma sure if I was showing my Whippet you would get the inevatable skinny dog comments!