The Best Thing I Heard At The Royal Was...

Elfin

But my favourite this year was for my mothers chinese crested... "oohh i dont think i can touch that... it probably feels like a shavved nut sack..."

*coffee splurk*

oh great now I have to dry the keyboard!

:(

After a few years of "I had a xxxxx once but MINE was SOOOO much bigger/hairier/better" I was starting to worry perhaps I was on the wrong track with my dogs...

Then I started a boarding kennel...

Now I have personal knowledge of what Joe Public's dog actually looks like and I know why they always looked so much different to mine!! I almost die of shock everytime I get a new customer that actually IS the breed they say! :(

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I fought my way to the ring through a thick sea of the public at the royal, I had to shout at people to move. A guy behind me said to his family, "quick follow that lady cos she can get through the crowd"... I did use my bossy school teacher voice... lol

One of the best things that has been said to me was by a lady I met while out walking my white standard poodle. She stated what a lovely afghan I had... I set her straight and she then proudly told me that she once had a standard poodle!

We had a clipped off standard at a show along side the showdogs and a couple walked over and chatted to us. The man of the house said that he wanted one of the short coated poodles... lol

Edited by capanash

But my favourite this year was for my mothers chinese crested... "oohh i dont think i can touch that... it probably feels like a shavved nut sack..."

:love:

My dog didn't get any weird comments at the Royal this year - how disappointing!

1. Josephine Public explaining the breeds to her kids. eg. As the Havanese did out and back: "now that's a nice Maltese Shih Tzu"

:) ;) :cry:

:cry: I had to cover Magic's ears to read this post :laugh:

I had quite a few families come up to meet Magic and say that he was just like their Malt/Shih-tzu cross. It was nice to be able to explain that he was a purebred, so that they have an option to a cross puppy farm dog next time :love: .

The lovely Lowchen benched next to us was introduced by a 12ish year old Member of the public to her brother as a Dalmation :shrug: (due to the spots), and was referred to countless times by several Ms and Mr Publics as a Chinese Crested. :cry: (hey, but at least they knew what a Chinese Crested was :) ). The Lowchen's owner also got asked if the dog's hair had fallen out and if they were born with no hair on their back half!

The main comment I heard on General Specials day was 'OMG look at all these different breeds that I had never heard of' which was just fantastic.

I can understand funny comments about breeds particularly ones people don't often see we regularly get them at cat shows too but the funniest thing I have heard at the royal is a man explaining the diffrence between bulls and cows to his young family. And whilst we were standing there waiting for some cattle to walk passed he explained that the Jersey bull was a cow and the Hereford cow was a bull and glared at us as we fell about hysterical with laughter.

gotta love the royals LOL :):rofl:

Well, there went my old keyboard. Just doesn't like the coffee sprayed all through it's innards.

:cheer: ;) :thanks:

A friend of mine was asked what breed she had by a lady when she told her they were Bernese Mountain Dogs the lady said 'Oh ...I used to breed them' Oh sure she did thats why she didnt know what they were :)

I went to someones house who proudly introduced me to their lovely Alaskan Malamute....... it was 100% Siberian Husky but I didn't burst their bubble :rofl:

Guest CaptainCourageous

Think I've filtered out most of the inane comments, apart from something about judging hairstyles.

What I was really thrilled with was catching up with a family who still had the dog I bred and sold to them almost eleven years ago. I reckon that's one of the best rewards a breeder can have, and doubly interesting to me as I still have his litter brother and sister

( http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=1335 and http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=1337 ).

CC

I've found that the Min Pins were either 'baby Dobes' or 'Chis'. Had my first Affie at a river swimming hole some years ago, first Affie in the district, two men were discussing what breed he might be - some way out guesses - then Kush went for a paddle, came out with his lower leg hair stuck to his legs and with certainty he was declared - a Poodle which hadn't been clipped yet' :eek:

Ahhh...yes....the ringside experts. Who proclaimed the buff American Cocker puppy was a Baby Bulldog! :D

Or the really knowledgeable woman at ringside one year who swore up and down that she had had a black Golden Retriever when she was young! :mad

Ah yes the good old days when Golden's were black :eek: