Sardines In Oil

TYLER23

Quick question, i want to introduce our pup to sardines with his dry food, and the tin i bought says Sardines (72%), Water, Vegetable Oil (Soy Bean Oil), Salt.

Is the soy bean oil ok? i read that soy products should be avoided.

Also, the tin is 125g, how much should i be adding to his meal?

Cheers!

Edited by TYLER23

I also regularly give sardines in oil to my dogs more as a condiment to go with their kibble. I crack open the can and then drizzle 2-3 teaspoons of oil over the kibble before draining the rest of the oil and then adding the sardine meat to the bowl. So they get a little bit of the oil to moisten and add flavour to the kibble but it is not drowned in it. Hope this helps.

If you want fish in natural oil, the Woollie's Homebrand mackeral is in its own oil, I think.

I feed sardines in springwater.

Same here. I wouldn't touch soy with a barge pole after what I've read about it recently. Same with Canola.

If I give the sardine in spring water I add some fish oil to it. Prick a couple of capsules of fish oil or I buy nthe bottles of fish oil.

If the can of mackeral is too big for one meal then freeze half for later :thumbsup:

I sometimes give them, my whippets love it. I didn't know soy should be avoided, is it poisonous to dogs?

not toxic, but can be an allergen for some dogs.

The only soy that is good is the fermented soy such as in tofu.

Soy is linked to infertility, breast cancer, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and many other disorders.

I used to drink soy milk believing in the health benefits, but not any more :thumbsup:

I discovered all this when I was researching cancer diets for my partner.

Also, the tin is 125g, how much should i be adding to his meal?

Cheers!

I would introcude it slowly as too much in one go may give him the runs. maybe only a tablespoon or 2 to start off with

Agree with that! I gave my 11 wk old BC about 1/4 tin and regretted it for the rest of the night and most of the next day. :( Havnt been game to repeat the experience yet. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but our pup has softer and sometimes runny poos on the days he gets sardines (in springwater). He absolutely loves them, so should we persist given the health benefits or look at alternatives?

Will other tinned fish such as mackeral be likely to cause softer poos as well? should we be looking at omega 3 supplements?