Bury Or Cremate

mutt lover

This came up with my 15 year old a few days ago as we drove past a Pet cemetery and she asked what if i would bury the our animals there, i told her i would have the animals cremated and she got upset and said she didn' want me to do that to our cat (her favorite) so he will go to the pet cemetery as she wishes...

My girls will stay with me forever as i could not part with them..

I have the ashes of two of my dogs on my bookshelf in my office and get great comfort having them here.

I sometimes pat the boxes and talk to them.

From memory it was a couple of hundred dollars to have them cremated. Last one was five years ago.

I still miss them terribly but having them here has helped a lot.

I think I will cremate in future. What prices have people paid for cremation of their pets?

We had our beautiful Cassie cremated. It was all coordinated between them and and our vets. She was collected by the cremation people from our vets and returned two days later. She is in a beautiful rosewood box with a plaque with her name, dates etc and a small verse.

We paid $350

I sometimes pat the boxes and talk to them.

I do this too dogdog , and wondered if anyone else did.... it is a great comfort having them close by

To get our girls ashes back in a lovely little wooden box with her name engraved on a plaque was approx $270.00.

So we are not the only ones! We often say good morning or good night & OH evens tells her how much he misses her. Its early days and I thought that those actions might diminish as time passes but reading your posts - perhaps not.

Doesnt worry me, we loved her dearly

Guest RosieFT

I really hope I am not going to upset anyone...

My parents cremated their last bichon and paid richly for it assuming it was just Lily's ashes, but my friend whose cat is on her last legs enquired about cremation and the vet told her they cremate several animals at once, so you don't end up with just your animals ashes.

Is this true?

My dad just asked me the other day if he could bury Oscar in our garden when the time is right (oscar is on his last legs), I said of course, but am concerned about burying him in the back yard since we have Rosie?? It would most likely have to be our front garden or have others done this with no problem from other pets?

Sorry to be so blunt, I just would like to know NOW rather than when poor Aussie has passed.

My parents cremated their last bichon and paid richly for it assuming it was just Lily's ashes, but my friend whose cat is on her last legs enquired about cremation and the vet told her they cremate several animals at once, so you don't end up with just your animals ashes.

Is this true?

My dad just asked me the other day if he could bury Oscar in our garden when the time is right (oscar is on his last legs), I said of course, but am concerned about burying him in the back yard since we have Rosie?? It would most likely have to be our front garden or have others done this with no problem from other pets?

Sorry to be so blunt, I just would like to know NOW rather than when poor Aussie has passed.

It depends which company you use. I lost my beautiful black lab boy 3 weeks ago today (29/9/09) :wave: and I used Pets at Peace in Sydney who offer individual pet cremations, they were Australia's first dedicated pet crematorium for the individual cremation of pets and I also used them for my darling black lab girl who I lost 10 years ago :) . I paid $275 and this included the pick up of my boy, individual cremation, delivery of his ashes in a Polished Timber Photo Box and a rose - refer to

Pets at Peace website.

His box of ashes sits on my bedside cabinet along with his collar, lead and his favourite toys :) , so he is last thing I see before I go to sleep and first thing I see when I wake up and I constantly pat the box, hold the box closely and tell him constantly how much I miss him and love him. :laugh::o and the box has been soaked in copious tears ;) I have done this for years with my black lab girl, Cassie, as well and have a memorial bookcase for her in my bedroom with her ashes in Stone Urn, photos and her collar. I buried my other beloved black lab boy, Chaz, in NZ at my parent's place as cremations were not available for pets then.

I have had one dog cremated, my old boy Spud a bullmastiff cross. Had to cremate him as the ground is rock hard and I would have needed a backhoe to dig a hole big enough! My yard is almost all concreted/paved, the only lawn I have is accessible to the dogs and I was scared they would dig him up *ugh*. So Spuddy was cremated and I have his ashes in an urn. I dont really like having the urn I have to say, I am still considering smashing it and scattering his ashes in a lake near where I used to live as he loved going there.

I have a friend who has had all her dogs cremated and she has alsmot a shrine to them in her house. Thats not what I would ever want. But for now im stuck with this large urn that Im not sure what to do with. It jsut sits on the bookshelf collecting dust and I live in fear of accidently breaking it. I also dont like the sound when you pick the urn up of all the bone fragments moving around inside, so i try not to handle it if at all possible.

I know some ppl feel closer to their dog if they have an urn full of ashes, but I am not like that. I have my photos and my memories.

My Vet arranged all using Pets at Peace ( he uses them for his own pets ) cost me $350.00

and yes I do pat Sinna ( the box ) every day .

I hope this doesnt upset you but I would like to share here is were Sinna now sits and

Sirenna siamese is found up there most days .

post-2136-1256076989_thumb.jpg

Is this true?

I know Sophie was individually cremated because they called to tell me they had the titanium implants that were in Sophie's knees from her cruciate surgeries and would I like them returned with her ashes. They were not previously aware of the implants so if they hadn't cremated her individually they wouldn't have known they were hers.

They had phoned me earlier to tell me what time she was being cremated so I could keep her in my thoughts at that time. She was in my thoughts every minute of every day but it was thoughtful of them to let me know.

Edited by cavNrott

• 4 weeks later...

I used Pets at Peace with my 2 huskies....

Claude sits in a little wooden box with a plaque with his name and Cassie is in a ceramic urn behind glass in my wall unit.

I also have some of their hair in there aswell. (Claude was clipped days before he died and when I went to say my final goodbye to Cass at the Vet, they snipped a little off for me at my request).

The Vet arranged everything for cremation. It cost me about $350 for each. (one was in 2007, the other 2008)

They are to be buried with me when my time comes.... all my furbabies will be cremated. After all the love and joy they have provided me over the years, its the least I could do for them.

We cremate our pets. The thought of someone possibly digging them up if land were sold in the future is disgusting. Here are some pics of Ashley's box. It cost about $175 usd to cremate a dog of her size (Malinois). The company UPS'd her box to us and it was amazing how they packed it - in a velvet bag, flower, certificate of cremation, Rainbow Bridge poem, a sachet of rosemary, and a letter of condolence.

post-2862-1258298200_thumb.jpg

post-2862-1258298224_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had both my previous rotts cremated. I have their ashes in beautiful urns that I will keep with me forever.

I would hate to have buried them and had to leave them behind when I moved.

Reputable pet cremation services will cremate individually.

I personally have cremated my last cat and would do the same for my old boy.

Though a friend recently mentioned that you can have the ashes turned into a sort of stone, eg sapphire or diamond. Will have to look into this as the idea of this and being able to keep him close to my heart for me is a even better option.

This might sound a bit strange, but when my Lucy died we were going to have her cremated, but we would have had to have sent her body to the North of the State to have it done and after we'd had her euthanaised I couldn't send her away. I just couldn't face not being there to look after her.

She is buried on my parents' property. There is a large stone on her grave and I go and talk to her whenever I visit my parents. I took Anouk and Ziggy down to introduce them to her. It's nice there. We call it "Lucy's Place".

I don't know how I'll feel if the property is sold, but I imagine it will be heartbreaking, but as I said, immediately following having her euthanaised I just couldn't deal with the practicalities of cremation.