Ute Dogs, Cage Or Harness

saxonspride

I would never crate 2 dogs in the same crate, too much of a risk... 99% of the time they may be ok.. not worth it to me.

I am thinking of getting a ute next time round, and will be putting cages on, I just have a fear of the harness/lead breaking, so would feel safer with cages

I would never crate 2 dogs in the same crate, too much of a risk... 99% of the time they may be ok.. not worth it to me.

is that for fear of them fighting, or being flung into each other?

my concern with cages is, if you have an accident they get flung around all over the joint into a hard cage. i know a harness does offer as much restraint... i really am unsure about whats safest for the dogs.

Guest bigdogg

get a cage with a divider. That way you have the option of splitting them up or you can put them in one side and can use the other side for whatever.

Also spend the extra money and get an alloy cage made up. Steel is just to heavy.

so i'll be getting a new work ute soon, and have to think about toolbox setups etc.

dual cab - pups in the back seat.

(my dogs like their comforts)

This is clearly no good if dogs spend extended periods in a stationery vehicle (ie if you take them to work) - in which case I'd go the cages (with some sort of weather/shade cover)

cages are the best idea. The dog will lie down and wont be flung around that much plus if you have an accident the dog is contained and not just attached by a harness/collar.

Dog_Box_lg.jpg

I've seen a lot of hunters use ones like this with a divider, one dog per box. That or you can lock tools in the other side.

Edited by Nekhbet

Cage. Our dog managed to unclip his harness when in the back of our ute, and the car was only *just* taking off. He jumped out and fractured his pelvis amongst other nasty injuries. I don't remember what else he did as it was before I got with my partner. He is a wreck now and will not go in a car or ute at all anymore without force which is hard when he needs to go to the vet. Once he's in he's fine though. I am trying to convince the OH to get a cage or only travel him in the wagon now as it's not worth the stress on the poor boy.

I want to get a cage that can have a toolbox on the other side, do you know where I can price them Nekbet?

Edited by TeGz

Metal cage with add on canvas sides/top. One dog per side. Lots of hunters have that set up. Keeps idiots from touching them when you're not in the ute too.

Put padlocks on them and then you can store valuables in there if the dogs aren't in the ute.

Dogs must bake in open utes in summer. :rofl: They'll do a lot worse on a chain in an accident than in a crate.

Edited by poodlefan

They bake as well as the trays get awfully hot in the sun.

So like what has already been posted already.. A cage at minimum with a good top on it. Also provides a safeish storage for gear when the dogs are not inside. It also prevents people from stealing dogs from the back of the ute if you have to duck into the shops.

I have a duel cab ute. I have put a canopy on mine. I also have a back grill so I can open the back and let fresh air in if I have to stop somewhere.

Here is a photo of the cage setup:

post-430-1257301994_thumb.jpg

thanks guys for your rersponses. it seems cages are the way to go. i'd love to keep him in the cab with me, but he gets too excited and has pawed my arm a couple of times and the steering wheel has been jerked. not good! i know!! dual cabs dont have enough tray space for me. so a box down one side and cages down the other and ladder rack up top and trundle tray down below. done! thanks again

There was a great thread quite a while ago where a fella was making his own and welding it with progress piccies...there was alot of discussion on how to best make it as well.

Spent 10mins trying to find it but couldn't (mainly because we can't search for 3letter words! :D )

There was a great thread quite a while ago where a fella was making his own and welding it with progress piccies...there was alot of discussion on how to best make it as well.

Spent 10mins trying to find it but couldn't (mainly because we can't search for 3letter words! :) )

This one?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...78&hl=maloo

• 8 months later...

I have a dual cab rodeo with a canopy over the tray, I also have a false floor made from wood and a metal divider and metal cage doors (sort of mesh material). The canopy has windows with metal bars in front so I can open the windows while driving and the doggies can get some fresh air. Having the cage doors allows me to open the canopy at dog trials so the dogs have fresh air but can't get out. I have a divider so I can give the dogs bones and stuff in each of their sides and they can't steal each others food, and so that the younger one doesn't annoy the older one. My new pup is currently on the back seat in a crate as he is too small and can get through the mesh but he will eventually be in the tray with the other young one. I find this set up is great. Especially with the false floor as I can keep my crates, chair and gazebo under there. My dad made my set up and he said it was fairly easy and cheap if you can find the right materials (he had them all lying in the shed lol)