Keeping Working Breeds Or Big Dogs In Small Spaces

dee lee

My dogs only use the yard when they toilet. Great Danes are known as apartment dogs in the states, although I think they need something a bit bigger than a court yard just to have a wee bit of space, but I don't believe any dogs need a large backyard as dogs don't self exercise.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother constantly pounds me with the fact I have a working dog and she should be in the country, it really annoys me! My girl is very active even on her own in the mornings, she runs around the backyard chasing flies and bees, even after a walk, but I'm home most of the day, I do a LOT of training on and off through the day (obedience and tricks), she has off leash running and swimming but not everyday and she has walks. But she does stop and rest in the afternoons, ready to go again in the evenings! I think it is a matter of being aware of what stimulation your dog needs.

My mother constantly pounds me with the fact I have a working dog and she should be in the country, it really annoys me! My girl is very active even on her own in the mornings, she runs around the backyard chasing flies and bees, even after a walk, but I'm home most of the day, I do a LOT of training on and off through the day (obedience and tricks), she has off leash running and swimming but not everyday and she has walks. But she does stop and rest in the afternoons, ready to go again in the evenings! I think it is a matter of being aware of what stimulation your dog needs.

Don't you just love those people who like to tell you that working breeds shouldn't be in the city! I've had a few comments made about how cruel I am for having BC's in the suburbs by random people. I just nod and smile :laugh:

dogs don't self exercise.

Well... they do if they play with each other. Kivi and Erik are hooning around our small yard right now and have been on and off for the last hour. While I am in here sitting on my butt. But then, both my dogs are young. They might slow down as Erik matures.

I have 2 border collies in a small yard with no problems at all.

I've also had BC's on acreage and agree they very few dogs self exercise so the amount of space is not that important.

My dogs get regular outside of home exercise but lots of activities in the small yard. They also gets lots of human contact (which I think is more important than exercise) and a "reasonable" amount of mental stimulation.

They are pretty happy dogs.

My two don't play all that much together outside - but they love playing IN the house :cry:

I have a friend who has a Working Kelpie, a KelpiexAmstaf (we think) and a BCx in a large appartment that has a concrete backyard that you could probably just swing a small cat in. The dogs do flyball, agility and get walked/jogged 1-2 times per day, they dont get off lead much for zoomies coz they are a little accident prone unless at training and it is structured.

You wouldnt even know she had dogs- never a sound, a clean house and some VERY VERY happy dogs. They get to be around people all the time and vegging out and they are not overly excited etc.

So yep- so long as you give a dog enough mental stimulation and exercise I think any dog can live in any sized house!

I have a friend who has a Working Kelpie, a KelpiexAmstaf (we think) and a BCx in a large appartment that has a concrete backyard that you could probably just swing a small cat in. The dogs do flyball, agility and get walked/jogged 1-2 times per day, they dont get off lead much for zoomies coz they are a little accident prone unless at training and it is structured.

Wow- thats impressive!! :cry:

is doable

none of my big dogs ever made use of any space

i had to walk them cos all they ever did was sleep and wait for me to come home

a yard is good for throwing a ball around but i cant fathom how dogs can survive mentally without going for long varied walks and lovely free runs on the beach

these were a goldie and a german shephered dog

i dont know how some dogs survive at some breeders complexes either- i have seen big active confined in beautiful runs but i bet they were never taken for a walk - if you believe the health probs of the breeder - i dont know how theyd manage to walk even one dog let alone the numbers they had

all confined in a tiny built up all concrete suburban yard

yuk

Years ago my ex & I lived in Prahran (inner Melbourne suburb). We had a yard area less than the size of most people's driveway but had 2 Standard Poodles and a GSP :(

The canine crew were given a good long walk twice a day. The GSP went to work with ex & the Poodles stayed home doing what Poodles do best - snoozing on the couch :cry: . It was actually a much more active life than now, when my 2 boys have about an acre of land to run about & play in - I was certainly a lot fitter

Edited by poodlemum

Deelee - My two lappies live in inner Melbourne suburb - we have a double fronted Victorian weatherboard house, in Yarraville/kingsville. Our backyard is 10m across and 9m deep, but that includes a large shed (that takes almost a quarter pf the yard) and two gardens that we fenced off to keep the doglets out (they keep burying their bones in my OH's garden bed!) - so they have roughly half of that. My two are fine - they live inside mostly anyway - I walk them every morning (and usually again at night) and on weekends we like to do things like Kepala, or dog shows, or go for park walks. They are very happy.

We plan on moving in a couple of years, but only because we want a tree change - and more doglets (oh, and chickens. I love chickens!!)

Personally, I would LOVE a big backyard but it aint gonna happen anytime soon so we will have to just make do. :cry:

My last dog was hyper and when she was a pup I would spend a minimum of an hour exercising her everyday, sometimes 2 hours, plus she jogged with my OH a few times a week.

So I know keeping any kind of dog is possible in my yard, just a matter of how much work is needed to keep certain breeds happy. :(

Its quite amazing how uninformed some people are about those requirements too- I was told by a colleague once that it was cruel to keep any kind of dog in the city. What a silly thing to say.

Deelee - I have the typical Newtown terrace backyard - bigger than a courtyard but still small and have a dane.

He (and my last dane) use the backyard to nosy at the neighbours, have a drink and toilet.

In saying that, I have a large offlead park at the end of the street.

I have 2 border collies in a small yard with no problems at all.

I've also had BC's on acreage and agree they very few dogs self exercise so the amount of space is not that important.

My dogs get regular outside of home exercise but lots of activities in the small yard. They also gets lots of human contact (which I think is more important than exercise) and a "reasonable" amount of mental stimulation.

They are pretty happy dogs.

My two don't play all that much together outside - but they love playing IN the house :cry:

My two BCs are the same - don't play outside but won't stop playing when they're inside.

I have a decent sized suburban yard. The older BC runs laps around it for most of the day, chasing birds or clouds. The pup, Jasper (9 months old) sometimes chases the older boy (he wants to play but the older boy only has eyes for the sky when he's outside). Jasper chases Flynn until Jasper has had enough exercise and then he goes back to sleep.

With Flynn, I can take him for a 4 km walk and he will still come home, rest for 5 minutes, and then start chasing whatever is in the sky again. Jasper on the other hand, is very laid back and a little bit lazy. So I think it comes down to the temperament of the dog. I don't think Flynn could survive long term in a small yard but Jasper definitely could. That said, when we visited my mum last, both boys spent most of their time in a small room in her house, only allowed outside when they were supervised as Jasper kept escaping from her yard. They were both perfectly happy with that arrangement and I would say it was the most relaxed I have ever seen Flynn.

I think it all depends on how much time your willing to put in.

I have a kelpie mix, he's not overly active but since moving out and not having him living wiht any other dogs, plus the yard isn't properly fenced so he's indoors mostly. We get out for atleast an hour a day plus do training everyday and I spend a lot of my spare time with and I think he does fine. He gets zoomies a bit but when he does we just grab a toy and go out and play hard for 10-15 minutes till he's worn out.

I want a working BC as my next dog, I'd rather see one in a apartment with someone willing to put in the time then in a home with a big backyard and a family that doesn't want to put in the effort.

Also a lot of smaller breeds have much higher energy needs then some of the larger breeds, I'm thinking more of the Terrier breeds but most small dogs are very active while a lot of the time, the larger breeds are much lazier and happier to lie around.

Edited by busterlove

Keep in mind that most actual working dogs, live in kennels, or on a chain tied to a kennel (farm dogs etc).

I don't think it's the size of the dogs environment that matters so much as how involved in your life the dog is. I have one dog, Dusty, who could easily live in an apartment or a very small house with a very small yard, as long as she could be with me as much as possible.

I have three giant breed dogs. People constantly say to me "...oooh, you must have a big garden...". I live in an apartment. We walk twice daily and the dogs also come to work with me. We go to the beach 2-3 times a week. On weekends we are either showing, lure coursing, or up on our property in Central Victoria.

Yet if I had a dollar for every time I was told that I was cruel having 3 large dogs in an apartment, I would be able to afford a big back yard!!

my large golden male retriever could quite happily live in an apartment provided he got a 20 to 30 minute walk a day and could look out a window to see what was going on.

My sister's border collie happily lives in a small courtyard in Melbourne, but is taken to see her horse every day and for walks with the teenager.

Hey Deelee,

Typically it all depends on the individual dog and the amount of time you are prepared to put in to mental and physical exercise. I have a Collie and she is reasonably active, but less so than a Border Collie. I have a largish courtyard and live on the city fringe. She is generally walked twice a day and had big days out on the weekend. I've just started taking her to dog day care one day a week as she recently redesigned some of the courtyard plants and I didn't want to risk her being excessively bored and starting to become a nuisance.

She has run of inside and outside, is good at entertaining herself when I'm not home and has a cat for company. She is a little bit quieter now she goes to day care, but I'd say she copes with the small yard just fine.

I specifically chose a Collie because I wanted a working dog type, but their breeding is more akin to a pet personality than maintaining their former working dog personality - big generalisation, but I went with the averages and I think I've done ok.

Good luck in your search, but remember its a choice for life, so if you do go with a working dog be prepared to keep up all your efforts at training and entertainment.