Puppy Car Travel

Daydreamer

Hi

We're getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback pup and pick her up from the airport in about 4wks time :thumbsup: . I plan on crate training so will be getting a wire crate (xl) for at home but wondered if a soft crate will be ok in the car? The drive from the airport is about half an hour and the crate will also be used for general car travel once she's with us.

Is a crate a better option than a harness? Never used either for our current dog so any advice appreciated :(

When I brought my pup home from the airport I used a crate (wire) and it was great as he stunk big time :thumbsup: and no-one wanted to hold him.

He continued using the crate until he outgrew it and then he went on to a harness as I can't get a crate big enough for him in the car.

Just tried driving around in the car with my pup and I used a harness thingy. It sort of worked and I think that was due to me having some liver treats. I think a dog should get used to driving around in the car and great to start young.

As for the first ride home a crate will work best or someone to hold pup and that way the driver wont be distracted while pup will feel better being held on the way home.

Have fun and enjoy the week or 2 of sleepless nights. :thumbsup:

For a dog the size of a ridgeback, I'm not sure the appropriate sized crate would fit in the car? Depends on the car you have of course.

I just use a harness for my dog, there's no way her crate would fit in the car - soft crate or wire crate unless I put the seats down

I would use a crate for the puppy's trip home - easier to clean up accidents and it can take a while for them to get used to a harness and not tangle themselves up. With a Ridgeback it is unlikely you will be able to fit a crate in your car unless it is a station wagon or similar with a big back, so I would use a harness when she is bigger.

If at all possible size wise then I totally recommend a crate. I've used them for years but I've always had a van type vehicle so size wasn't an issue. The dog/s travel safely and all mine have loved their crate travel, been a lot of miles, took 3 from Victoria to Darwin and that trip really sealed my faith in crates. Fairly warm day, miles from anywhere and naturally I get a flat. I was able to put the dogs out under a tree safely in their crates while I changed the wheel which took me quite a while :mad

Wouldn't he come in a crate in the plane? Everyone I know that picked up their pup from the airport came in a crate.

In fact the crate I use in my hatchback for Tilba is the one my cousin gave me that her lab pup travelled in. If you have a station wagon the best idea is to get a pet barrier at the back of the back seats.

When I used a harness on April she got all tangled up & I had to take it off. I used to use 2 of those straps that go into the car's seat belt connector.

i think the crate that she flies in is only for the trip and they keep them? :cry:

Yes, I think that's usually the case if they're coming with a transport company.

You might be able to borrow a smaller crate from someone for the time being - given that you won't need the smaller one for long. :cry:

Mine (BCs) travel in wire crates in the car - but that was a station wagon and now a small/medium SUV. I like the crates for a whole variety of reasons - easy to pack stuff in, dogs away from even wide-open windows etc. etc. - and that was a good thought about being able to provide safe shade when needed. I've done the same thing.

Mine came in a hire crate on the plane too.

I crate her in the car when we drive so she gets used to it and leave her in there at training, don't trust her not to eat the seat belts etc :cry:

I also take her for drives wearing the harness occasionally so that she gets used to both methods.

We had a 3 hour drive to bring Kei home. I sat in the back seat and held him on my lap in a blanket. He slept the entire way. I think he felt safe and comfortable being held :(

We collected him from the breeders house though so knew he would be clean and toileted before we left.

Could you bring a thermos with some warm water and a towel to the airport with you? Then if she has dirtied in her crate and smells you can give her a quick wipe down :cry:

We had a 3 hour drive to bring Kei home. I sat in the back seat and held him on my lap in a blanket. He slept the entire way. I think he felt safe and comfortable being held :cry:

We collected him from the breeders house though so knew he would be clean and toileted before we left.

Could you bring a thermos with some warm water and a towel to the airport with you? Then if she has dirtied in her crate and smells you can give her a quick wipe down :cry:

Thats a good idea.......thanks :( Obviously she's going to be the perfect pup and will be spotless when we collect her so probably won't need it but better to be safe than sorry :cry:

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and top tips :cry:

We had a 3 hour drive to bring Kei home. I sat in the back seat and held him on my lap in a blanket. He slept the entire way. I think he felt safe and comfortable being held :laugh:

Could you bring a thermos with some warm water and a towel to the airport with you? Then if she has dirtied in her crate and smells you can give her a quick wipe down :)

Thats a good idea.......thanks :laugh: Obviously she's going to be the perfect pup and will be spotless when we collect her so probably won't need it but better to be safe than sorry :laugh:

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and top tips :)

When I brought my dogs home as puppies, I put them on my lap on a towel. But after that, I always used a harness. They sit on the back seat of the car wearing their harnesses.