Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Yep had a sprinkle this afternoon in Darlington. Was rather scary yesterday as my parent's house is just off Pechey Rd so they had to get home before their road was closed down, luckily it is just the dog and cat there this time. Not like previous times when we had to evacuate with the horse, dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens and ducks....although the chickens and ducks were just let out of their pens, didn't fancy duck poo in the car :bolt:

Your poor parents must have been so worried :eek:

Hi Tsarsmum. Are you a member of the canine assoc?

That's the first step :vomit:

There are afew more shows left this year, they are held at the canine grounds in southern river (mostly). Canine member get a magazine sent out called Canine News- which has all show details in it. You will need to fill out entry form (available at canine assoc. or online i think www.cawa.asn.au )

What Breed have you got? :vomit:

hey thanks for that i became a member so i could have my boy transfered into my name, but i have not had a magazine :p

I have a samoyed :eek:

How long ago did you become a memeber? Sometimes they take awhile to send mag out. Are you a full member? If you don't get a magazine I'd go and see them :p They also sell the mags in the office.

I show sibes- 2 breeds after samoyeds, so I'll come and cheer you on whe you start showing :vomit:

Also it would be a good idea to go down and check out a show if you havn't already, and maybe attend afew show training classes (I used to go to one on tuesday nights at canine)

How long ago did you become a memeber? Sometimes they take awhile to send mag out. Are you a full member? If you don't get a magazine I'd go and see them :vomit: They also sell the mags in the office.

I show sibes- 2 breeds after samoyeds, so I'll come and cheer you on whe you start showing :vomit:

Also it would be a good idea to go down and check out a show if you havn't already, and maybe attend afew show training classes (I used to go to one on tuesday nights at canine)

thanks :eek: i have his papers back and im sure i joined as a full memeber (single member)?

I would love to do the show training lessons but unfortantly i cant as my hubby is away during the week (works away) and i live in Baldivis :p

im trying to learn as much as i can online and practicing at home. I migh try and head up soon and have a look.

How long ago did you become a memeber? Sometimes they take awhile to send mag out. Are you a full member? If you don't get a magazine I'd go and see them :vomit: They also sell the mags in the office.

I show sibes- 2 breeds after samoyeds, so I'll come and cheer you on whe you start showing :eek:

thanks :mad i have his papers back and im sure i joined as a full memeber (single member)?

I would love to do the show training lessons but unfortantly i cant as my hubby is away during the week (works away) and i live in Baldivis :vomit:

im trying to learn as much as i can online and practicing at home. I migh try and head up soon and have a look.

Hi Tsars Mum and welcome to DOL.

You can start practicing by teaching your pup to stack (stand with front and back legs staight and level with each other and get him use to having his mouth inspected as well as his testicle area (boy dogs to check the testes are there). You will find it easier to assess that you are doing this right if you practice in front of a large mirror so that you can see what the judge will see. Also practice lead work, pup trotting on lead not pacing, pulling, dragging or mouthing lead and handler moving in a straight line ( I still don't do this well ). You want to practice walking a straight line up and back, doing a large triangle (ie head to the two corner posts or the ring and then back to the judge) maintaining the dog in view of the judge at all times if possiable. You may be able to find something on Youtube to assist you too as sometimes its easier to understand if you can visulise it.

Entries usually have to be in about three weeks in advance of the show being entered, sometimes longer especially with big shows, ie Western Classic and the Royal where they have to be in months in advance. The class you enter is dependant on the dogs age and this info will usually be on the reverse of your entry form. Babies aren't expected to perform as well as adults as they are after all just babies but you don't really want to take them into the ring without training either. All dogs must also be fully inoculated before attending any canine club activity.

On the day of your first show, dress smartly with sensable footwear, arrive early to set up, collect numbers and prepare your dog. Take time to see how others prepare their dogs of the same breed, but be aware that as they will be busy with their own preparations they might not have time to actually give any advice at that time, but hopefully may be willing to give advice later. Watch the judge in your ring to see how he/she likes the dogs to go round the ring ie up and back, triange etc. When it gets close to your breed be ready and listen for your number being called, you want to go into the ring relaxed not rushed. If your dog doesn't place or place as well as you hoped don't worry sometimes it is just that you are up against more experienced handlers or your dog hasn't peaked yet. Remember that either way it is only one judges opinion and we all go home with the BEST dog regardless.

By the way puppy pictures are mandatory here on DOL :D so that we can all get a puppy fix, so we look forward to seeing pics of your furbaby soon. :p

thanks so much for the help.

here is some pics of the monster child. he is normally very good pup but at the moment he is a little on the damanding side he will learn im sure to stop it LOL.

when i first got him

P8280037.jpg

only a few days ago :D

PA260161.jpg

oh he is much cleaner now he went to the beach for a swim LOL

I havent really had the internet for the past week, so have been m.i.a and i really cannot be bothered catching up on 20 pages or so ahahha i made it halfway through catching up and gave up :confused:

Tiggy I am sorry to hear about Shimi but congratulations on Pea! He is definately adorable

Congrats on becoming a grannyyyyy Jacqi and also Naca's title

I went to the show last saturday and saw Lisa and Kelari and got some more of my assignment photos I am still missing a Golden Retriever, Staffy, Jack Russell, Labrador and Cocker Spaniel.. I know some of those will be easy but others ahhaha

Oh and here are some pics of kelari i took last weekend

post-27626-1288920679_thumb.jpg

post-27626-1288920686_thumb.jpg

I went to the show last saturday and saw Lisa and Kelari and got some more of my assignment photos I am still missing a Golden Retriever, Staffy, Jack Russell, Labrador and Cocker Spaniel.. I know some of those will be easy but others ahhaha

Oh and here are some pics of kelari i took last weekend

I did notice you hadn't been around!

I will be at Riverside tomorrow morning if you want Goldie photos (will have both dogs with me) and Candice is coming also so you could get lab photos! :confused:

Edited by Golden Rules

I start work at 11 =( I know the Lab, Golden and Staffy will be easy enough but im a bit worried about the cocker spaniel and the jack russell

oh and also the 3 purebred cats

how is paddy?? i saw photos and he looks soooo big now

I start work at 11 =( I know the Lab, Golden and Staffy will be easy enough but im a bit worried about the cocker spaniel and the jack russell

oh and also the 3 purebred cats

how is paddy?? i saw photos and he looks soooo big now

Oh, shame! :D

Paddy is BIG! LOL! He is now jumping up onto the sofa and getting into trouble :D God he's adorable though, he has learnt everything so quickly, he is so smart! I'm amazed!

I'll be back at Riverside next weekend, probably both Saturday and Sunday as we have our last Puppy Class this weekend.

I have to say, Carolyn Read's Train-A-Pup-Time classes are fantastic. That woman really knows her stuff and she is brilliant with dogs and people. Can't recommend her highly enough! :confused: