Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Feeling for you emery and poor Zeus. Take care :thumbsup:

Typing this with tears in my eyes. zeus wouldn't even get up for a malteser and he was unable to get up just now to go to toilet and he wet himself. I am thinking i am not getting good news tomorrow and wondering if it would be too cruel to keep him alive to tues night when hubby gets home (zeus was brought by me for him as a birthday gift 6 years ago)

Am I glad they don't do it there anymore! Whippets just do not do cross country puddles - unless there is a bunny on the other side :thumbsup:

I am also glad you don't have to do two rounds of the novice now, never mind when you had to heel forever!

I am getting a gel seat cover, 7 or so kms is one thing, 20kms is another ball park all together!

Heard of a litter last night that i may be keen on if the bitch is pregnant :heart: will need to have a think as mason is nearly done with CCD which means i really need to get cracking and work on open exercises

Edited by Mason2009

When I only had Lara and desperately wanted another dog to teach/trial - lots of people gave me advice and said I would be better off waiting for her to be around 5 -6 years of age before getting a puppy. Their reasoning was ......if the older dog is still learning, then you don't have as much time to spend with the puppy. Its better that the older dog is in the maintanence phase and in later years you don't end up with 2 old dogs 8 and 10 who are both past their trialling stage and you are then left with no dogs to play with.

I listened to this to begin with and their were 4 years between the first 2 kids and then it all went down hill as the age difference was then 2 yrs, 3yrs, 6 moths, 3 years and 1 year.......

There will always be puppies around that you want/like and bitches that you like that are pregnant. Yes Mason is nearly through CCD - but there is so much both you and him don't know, that I have to be honest and say that isn't justification to get another puppy now.

BUT I also have to be honest and say if it was me .........yep If I wanted another one then I would go and get one.....

:heart: Ptolomy I think the difference probably now is that you know what your doing and adding a pup isn't the end of the world but I definitely would agree with leaving a few years between a first and a second (maybe not the 7 years I had to wait that was a little too long :heart: ) but definitely 5 years. I am thinking of looking for a new pup next year or the year after and Kenz will be 4/5.

As Ptolomy said having 1 old dog is bad enough I couldn't imagine not having something to trial.

We have had a small training break - been ramping up the km's a little for the ET, but will be back into it this weekend, so hopefully I don't embarress myself !

You put me to shame! I wanted to do the ET, but haven't found the time (or motivation) to train for it :heart: I guess it's a bit too late to train for this year's now, isn't it? :heart:

Bedazzled, you're judging it, does that mean you have to ride it all too? Ouch :heart:

Don't worry you are not alone ruby i planned i doing it with chandra, but i have done no training and i keep using being pregnant as an excuse oh and i sold my bike rofl. how fast would i have to walk it?? if i walked wondering if i can do that.

Sorry to hear about zeus emery :heart: If you need any help lifting him and getting him to the vets while your husband is away, just give me a shout....I'll pm you my number :heart:

Thankyou cc, thankfully he still seems to light up at the thought of a car ride and gets a spring as he gets in.

will know more about 5pm today that is his appt. Everything crossed and a bit clearer after having a bit of a cry to myself last night. Now ican go in witha clear head and heart.

Having done my own fair share of crying over the last couple of weeks - we are all there with you Emery - everybody always says saying goodbye is the right thing to do - but that just made me cry even more.

HUgs mate...... gees I have something in my eye again (as she goes off rubbing her eyes.....)

Edited by Ptolomy

When I only had Lara and desperately wanted another dog to teach/trial - lots of people gave me advice and said I would be better off waiting for her to be around 5 -6 years of age before getting a puppy. Their reasoning was ......if the older dog is still learning, then you don't have as much time to spend with the puppy. Its better that the older dog is in the maintanence phase and in later years you don't end up with 2 old dogs 8 and 10 who are both past their trialling stage and you are then left with no dogs to play with.

I listened to this to begin with and their were 4 years between the first 2 kids and then it all went down hill as the age difference was then 2 yrs, 3yrs, 6 moths, 3 years and 1 year.......

There will always be puppies around that you want/like and bitches that you like that are pregnant. Yes Mason is nearly through CCD - but there is so much both you and him don't know, that I have to be honest and say that isn't justification to get another puppy now.

BUT I also have to be honest and say if it was me .........yep If I wanted another one then I would go and get one.....

Yip thats what I mean CCD and CD are the easy rounds, it gets way harder after that with heaps more work to be done. There will be a +- 3 year age gap between the 2 if I did get a pup. I also dont want to not have a dog to trial when Mason is old but saying that I could wait, get a dog when mason is 4 and the younger dog could still pass before him as these things do happen and life sometimes does not play along with our plans

Having done my own fair share of crying over the last couple of weeks - we are all there with you Emery - everybody always says saying goodbye is the right thing to do - but that just made me cry even more.

HUgs mate...... gees I have something in my eye again (as she goes off rubbing her eyes.....)

Thanks ptolomy. :heart:

passes the tissues :heart:

he was a bit more sprightly this morning so will wait and see what vet says

Sorry you cannot do it in the time if you walk. You can do the obedience bit at either end and get someone else to either jog (they'd have to be very fit) or bike it.

We have had a small training break - been ramping up the km's a little for the ET, but will be back into it this weekend, so hopefully I don't embarress myself !

You put me to shame! I wanted to do the ET, but haven't found the time (or motivation) to train for it :heart: I guess it's a bit too late to train for this year's now, isn't it? :heart:

Bedazzled, you're judging it, does that mean you have to ride it all too? Ouch :heart:

Don't worry you are not alone ruby i planned i doing it with chandra, but i have done no training and i keep using being pregnant as an excuse oh and i sold my bike rofl. how fast would i have to walk it?? if i walked wondering if i can do that.

Sorry to hear about zeus emery :heart: If you need any help lifting him and getting him to the vets while your husband is away, just give me a shout....I'll pm you my number :heart:

Thankyou cc, thankfully he still seems to light up at the thought of a car ride and gets a spring as he gets in.

will know more about 5pm today that is his appt. Everything crossed and a bit clearer after having a bit of a cry to myself last night. Now ican go in witha clear head and heart.

Thanks ptolomy. :heart:

passes the tissues :heart:

he was a bit more sprightly this morning so will wait and see what vet says

Will be thinkingvof you - if u need some1 for support i am just up the rd so just shout

Emery big :heart: to you. I am very sorry you are going through this right now particularly without your hubby around.

I recently had a bit of a scare with spartan who had a lump I was not happy about. I avoided saying anything to anyone because it was just easier for me. Thankfully, spartan got the all clear last night - the lump isn't anything sinister and he had a full check up with nothing much to worry about except some antibiotics he got for his skin to clear up some areas he's having trouble getting over. Stay positive everyone - I feared the worse however spartan has proven once again that he plans to live forever. And to top it off, he pulled down an entire container of dried kelp this morning, not for the kelp, but for the container it was in. I found him happily chewing the container while the other dogs were treading all through the kelp. Made me late for work :heart:

Edited by SparkyTansy

Emery big :heart: to you. I am very sorry you are going through this right now particularly without your hubby around.

I recently had a bit of a scare with spartan who had a lump I was not happy about. I avoided saying anything to anyone because it was just easier for me. Thankfully, spartan got the all clear last night - the lump isn't anything sinister and he had a full check up with nothing much to worry about except some antibiotics he got for his skin to clear up some areas he's having trouble getting over. Stay positive everyone - I feared the worse however spartan has proven once again that he plans to live forever. And to top it off, he pulled down an entire container of dried kelp this morning, not for the kelp, but for the container it was in. I found him happily chewing the container while the other dogs were treading all through the kelp. Made me late for work :heart:

That's great news about Spartan.

:heart: about container :heart:

Bit liek kelari pulling her sock and bandage off of her toe not so she can lick or chew her wound she just didn't want it on :heart:

Emery I can fully empathise, I have lost a horse and a cat in the last 6 months. The previous 3 years have seen me lose 2 cats and a dog.

Hopefully he is feeling a little better and it is good news after your appointment. I always get a tear or two when I read these sorts of posts. I am the kleenex ad I think!

Edited by OSoSwift

You're welcome, hope all goes well with him today :heart:

ST - Glad Spartan is ok, must have been a worry for you.

I would love a new dog, both my rescues were broke from the day I got them, they are mending slowly though :heart: I often wish I had been able to bring my perfect cocker boy with me, but I still know he's happier where he is. Just as well we live in a 2 dog limit area, otherwise I'm sure there would be a pup or another rescue in our house pretty quick :heart:

I agree with the sentiment of getting a second dog for you and not your dog, I got Trixie because I wanted a dog for me, and I couldn't ask for more companion wise, she means so much to me, it's just different, Kyzer is more my OH's dog than mine, he bonded better with him right from the start.

He really had his nose out of joint to start with but he now loves her (most of the time) and when he is home alone and Trixie and I come back I think he is happier to see her than me :(

Just to put another perspective on it, I have found that getting Trixie actually improved Kyzer's training, because he really benefits from short bursts, rather than long lessons, with two dogs you can work with one, then swap, and if one is being uncooperative you can put them away and get the other out :thumbsup: I found he is keener to work after watching Trixie work (and get treats :eek: )

As for waiting until you 'know what you are doing' well that takes years, and you have to learn somehow? :)

Also, each dog presents different challenges, Ptolomy and Bedazzled, I know you have both trained multiple dogs to amazingly high standards, would you say you are still learning with each new dog that comes along?

I agree with the sentiment of getting a second dog for you and not your dog, I got Trixie because I wanted a dog for me, and I couldn't ask for more companion wise, she means so much to me, it's just different, Kyzer is more my OH's dog than mine, he bonded better with him right from the start.

He really had his nose out of joint to start with but he now loves her (most of the time) and when he is home alone and Trixie and I come back I think he is happier to see her than me :(

Just to put another perspective on it, I have found that getting Trixie actually improved Kyzer's training, because he really benefits from short bursts, rather than long lessons, with two dogs you can work with one, then swap, and if one is being uncooperative you can put them away and get the other out :thumbsup: I found he is keener to work after watching Trixie work (and get treats :eek: )

As for waiting until you 'know what you are doing' well that takes years, and you have to learn somehow? :)

Also, each dog presents different challenges, Ptolomy and Bedazzled, I know you have both trained multiple dogs to amazingly high standards, would you say you are still learning with each new dog that comes along?

Awesome post! (To be filed under the same folder with cute puppy pictures I look at when I am puppy clucky :rofl: ) Curiosity here - what is the Kyzer-Trixie age gap?