Show Clothes - New To Showing

Border Lover

Another fan of golf shoes here. :laugh: As I play golf they serve a dual purpose.

They come in a good range of colours as well-I have navy & white; pink & white; bone & white; black & white and light blue & white.

Personally speakinng I find Footjoy the most comfortable.

Oooh do they come in purple??? :rofl: and where do you get yours from Hesa? are they expensive? im on the prowl for new show shoes...

Being a brissie girl who hangs out a lot with those rambunctious Border Collie people at shows :rofl: I have to say competition is stiff up here and many do dress to impress. They are smart dressers in the ring. No jeans etc. Maybe you should come check out a local show and see what the competition wears at shows? Good luck with your new show addiction. Group 5 people in Brissie are pretty friendly.

:D kelpiesrule, don't think I have come across any golf shoes yet in purple and white ;) closest is pink and white. The Footjoys are a little $$$ but then they are leather and put a "real spring in your step". I take a 7 1/2 and you are welcome to try any time for a fit.

Border Lover, there is a lady who shows borders in this "neck of the woods" who always wears a pair of tartan trousers in a red "plaid", must say she looks smart and it "suits" the part of the "borders". :D

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?Gender=Wome...d=p3286.c0.m282

Ebay have some well priced golf shoes in the modern 'sketcher' slimline styles too !

What a good idea, I've worn my Rivers shoes to death as they had little knobbles on them like soccer shoes and was wondering what to look for.

fifi

eta, couple of worn once pairs of footjoys there too !!!

Edited by fifi

Sketcher shoes are great. I had the shoe repair man stitch the velcro bit on the pair I have together for me so it would not pop open while running.

Many of the styles look dressy but have good soles on them.

Most of the BC guys up here (and in other states I've noticed) wear dark pants/skirts (usually black) with a coloured jacket. I tend to do the same but preffer to wear browns, greys and whites on the bottom as I don't like wearing black with a black dog as it hides the topline a bit. Some others do wear the pant/skirt suits in a mirade of colours, I do confess to owning a lilac skirt suit but I just can't bring myself to wear it!! And as someone else said make sure you're comfortable in it - I bought this lovely pair of red pants when I first start showing and felt soo uncomfortable with such a bright colour that I never wore them! I think you could get away with a nice pair of pants or a skirt with a blouse if you don't want to wear a jacket, although there are some light weight short sleeved ones that look good and aren't too hot!

Everyones advice is very good...

When i first started out I was wearing black pants with a shirt as a basic start... i can't believe I actually used to wear my doc martins with the pants!! :laugh:

As time went on (and i grew up a bit) I started wearing more skirts (knee length, but usually a bit flowy so it's easy to run) with shirts - pretty much what i might wear to work... i showed a grey&white dog fora long time and found that pastel colours suited him best so started wearing pretty pastels like green either on top or bottom. I now show a grey dog and another grey/white (diff breeds) and those colours all suit very well, but i admit to having added a few reds to my show wardrobe (and red suit jackets at that!)

Shoes for showing have really become easy to find, since velcro/strap shoes are in fashion... i have a black and a white pair... i try to lean towards the white pair for summer day shows because the feeling of your feet cooking in black shoes is NOT nice!! When you try on show shoes as much as you may feel stupid have a bit of a jog/run around to feel whether the shoe might slip off mid run - seen that happen a few times!

I note your dog in the photo is brown/white - I gather this is the one you will be showing ???

For breeds that you need to run with and you will - it is a must to have shoes that lace up so that you don't slip in your shoes - I wear golf shoes with soft spikes and they are sometimes the only thing that keeps me from going aovert in the ring :rofl: Good shoes a must.

With a dark brown dog I like - creams, golds (subtle ones :)), lighter browns, teamed with white to compliment your dog - they highlight the dog but blend you out of the picture a bit. Then a nice deep purple or greens also look really nice with a brown dog (I have 3 browns :rofl: ).

I agree with the others that have said to go to a few shows in the area you will be showing and watch your breed - note what the other people in your breed are generally wearing and dress accordingly.

Good luck with your first show as well.

Hi I don't show, but I would take the advice of Bisart Dobes, she is one stylish competitor.

Regarding shoes, I don't think it is necessary to have lace up shoes when you run with a breed. Good fit & soles are important for sure. All of our shows here in Texas are indoors, so non-slip soles are critical. None of my show shoes are lace up. :rofl:

Even when I go to states where they have outdoor shows, I wear the same shoes.

I know that many people could care less about my next comment, but NOTHING looks goofier or screams novice more than runners with a skirt. ;)

I know that many people could care less about my next comment, but NOTHING looks goofier or screams novice more than runners with a skirt. :rofl:

Or wearing really nice black trousers and WHITE RUNNERS ;)

I couldn't agree more, but make sure whatever shoes you are wearing fit, are comfortable and you will not fall over in. If you really enjoy showing and end up like me, and many others on here, you will live in these shoes. For me they go on at 6am the morning of the show and do not come off until I get home. I personally have very narrow feet so cannot find shoes that fit that are not lace up, so annoying... therefore I always wear lace up shoes, and majority of the time this is with a skirt, but they are neat and tidy black lace ups, and at least I know my shoes will stay on!

There are some lovely shoes out there and agree, as long as they fit well and have suitable soles, they don't need to be lace ups.

The current fashion for the Mary Jane type shoes with elastic is BRILLIANT for dog exhibitors. I've got a couple of pairs of these and they are awesome. I'm always on the lookout now for the same style in different colours.

Rivers also do an excellent range of "walking" shoes in similar styles, as do Grosby and of course the wonderful Skechers.

When I first started showing, the fashion WAS for white runners, or alternatively, white or nude "nurse's" shoes but we have come a long way since then! :rofl:

When I first started showing, the fashion WAS for white runners, or alternatively, white or nude "nurse's" shoes but we have come a long way since then! :cry:

Aw c'mon ellz, there's a few inches of tread left on my old "nurses" shoes yet.

Happy New Year of showing everyone. Now where's the white shoe cleaner? ..

:cry:

There are some lovely shoes out there and agree, as long as they fit well and have suitable soles, they don't need to be lace ups.

The current fashion for the Mary Jane type shoes with elastic is BRILLIANT for dog exhibitors. I've got a couple of pairs of these and they are awesome. I'm always on the lookout now for the same style in different colours.

Rivers also do an excellent range of "walking" shoes in similar styles, as do Grosby and of course the wonderful Skechers.

When I first started showing, the fashion WAS for white runners, or alternatively, white or nude "nurse's" shoes but we have come a long way since then! :cry:

Speaking of Rivers shoes...

We are going into town on Monday to buy both the girls some new shoes that are in the most recent catalogue :idea::rofl: . Brand new shoes just for the Basenji Specialty :):) . Ohhh also to run the new show hopefuls, for you, too :cry::shrug: