Show Clothes - New To Showing

Border Lover

Hi guys,

I am just getting in to showing and trying to get prepared!

I am 26yrs old and really have no idea what to wear...... No offence to anyone, but some of those show suits are hideous!!

I live on the gold coast, so it is pretty warm, so not really wanting to wear suit pants and jacket... what do you suggest?

Would love it if anyone has suggestions or photos!

Thanks!!

hehehe, I know what you mean !

Some of the show suits look like 80's refugees !!

I buy nice tops & pants at op shops, Miller's sales, ebay ect.

I guess think dressy casual that lets you move and contrasts or compliments your dog.

Be careful of wide cuffed pants - they are easy to trip over, If you are a woman - then tops that don't show your 'puppies' attributes will stop ringside giggles too !

There are few good threads in this forum about show clothes - someone who is cleverer than me might be able to put the links up.

fifi

Ask MM, she is the Goddess of show suits and clothing, just don't mention thongs or ugh boots to her...LOL

If you don't want a suit, you could go with a nice fitting pair of pants and a shirt of some kind or a skirt and top. Just be carefull not to buy anything that is too dark if you have a dark coloured dog or that will blow around in the breeze or flap about while running.

I dunno if you are a guy, but I am guessing you are from your post. Oops! Don't think you're a guy! :( But I hope my post will still help! lol

I usually just wear a nice shirt of some sort that is neat and tidy. When I go shopping, if I see something that is nice to wear at the show and at a reasonable price, I always buy them. I usually buy lots of green shirts as it's my favourite colour.

When I first started showing, I wore jeans but I now wear a neat dress pants. They are very light and won't be stuffy, especially in hot weather.

Since I show a Min Pin, I just wear my slip on shoes that I wear to work, but since you have a border collie and you'll need to run you may want to wear either runners or a dressy shoes but there are slip on runners around now so that may even make it easier!

But I think as long as you're neat and tidy, but I did see an exhibitor at a show last night that wore a t-shirt, shorts and sandles! But at the end of the day, it's the dog being judged, but I was amused by it last night!

Edited by Tambaqui

Consider the dress code amongst your breed.

Some breeds are very competitive & have a high level of presentation both dog & human.

My one word of advice own a mirror & actually use it,some dont & its very obvious ring side :)

Bend forwards to see what hangs out & dont get pants where your credit card slot can be viewed :(

Consider the dress code amongst your breed.

Some breeds are very competitive & have a high level of presentation both dog & human.

My one word of advice own a mirror & actually use it,some dont & its very obvious ring side :cry:

Bend forwards to see what hangs out & dont get pants where your credit card slot can be viewed :(

LOL at credit card slot :)

Agreed, some outfits are way over the top. Sequins, glitter, very dazzling.

I've found a couple of nice jackets on ebay, hardly worn and reasonably priced.

If you are a little loaded in front, a good fitting bra is very important, to keep your topline secure while on the move. :(

It's a great idea to have a look at what other people in your breed are wearing. Good luck!

I am not sure what the Border Collie competition is like where you live, but if you are in NSW, particularly Sydney/Newcastle it is very stiff. The handlers majority of the time are dressed very professionally and dogs groomed immaculately. I would say never wear jeans in the show ring. Some people do, and that is there individual choice, but something I would highly discourage.

Find a few nice pairs of pants, or at least knee length skirts in brown, grey etc that will show off your black dog, and some nice tops, that are not exposing and you can run and bend in (as previously mentioned). And a good pair of show shoes that will not fall of your feet, and allow you to run.

Much of the advice already given is great. But I would add, go to a few shows and then choose what you will feel comfortable in.

Good luck.

Ok, thanks guys...

Yes I am a girl.... hahaha probably should have said that!!

So jeans arent the best? And it would be ok to wear a knee length skirt?

So I will be showing a black and white border collie, so a coloured outfit would be better?

Wear jeans by all means, but as somebody who started out wearing jeans, you will probably find a pair of tailored pants or a knee length skirt more comfortable. And it will create a nicer background for your dog as well.

A lighter coloured outfit behind a dog like a border collie creates a much better optical illusion and can provide a very nice frame to showcase your dogs outline. You don't have to go for the eye-splitting candy cane colours that abound now (or the Wiggles Suits as Mr Ellz calls them), but there are many nice options.

I'm a bigger person and I tend to like to wear dark bottoms (pants or skirts) even with my black dogs. BUT, I invariably wear a nice light contrasting jacket or shirt because my dogs are also table dogs so how they look in front of the top half of my body is quite important and then when they are stacked on the ground, again you really only see my top half behind the topline of the dog because I'm down on my knees behind them. On the move, when I'm wearing a skirt, you can still see my dogs against my (lily white) legs and my dog tends to move out in front on the end of his lead anyway so wearing black pants isn't always an issue either.

Ebay USA is one of my best friends! :(

I note your dog in the photo is brown/white - I gather this is the one you will be showing ???

For breeds that you need to run with and you will - it is a must to have shoes that lace up so that you don't slip in your shoes - I wear golf shoes with soft spikes and they are sometimes the only thing that keeps me from going aovert in the ring :( Good shoes a must.

With a dark brown dog I like - creams, golds (subtle ones :)), lighter browns, teamed with white to compliment your dog - they highlight the dog but blend you out of the picture a bit. Then a nice deep purple or greens also look really nice with a brown dog (I have 3 browns :cry: ).

I agree with the others that have said to go to a few shows in the area you will be showing and watch your breed - note what the other people in your breed are generally wearing and dress accordingly.

Good luck with your first show as well.

My personel choice is not to wear black pants with a black dog. As the dog tend's to get lost against you. Especially at night shows. If you watch at a show different breeds you will notice this.

I show a GSd and try to wear lighter coloured pants. Even very dark charcoal pants or navy are good. Red and also white look lovely with a border. Just change just prior to going in :(:)

and a shirt or top that is slightly dressy without being over the top looks great.I also feel a bit over the top wearing a jacket sometimes, besides that, after going round the ring in full flight I feel like I'm going to keel over LOL

I have seen some people wear jeans with a dressy jacket and it looks good with some breeds so depends if you can pull that off I reckon.

I dunno if you are a guy, but I am guessing you are from your post. Oops! Don't think you're a guy! :mad But I hope my post will still help! lol

I usually just wear a nice shirt of some sort that is neat and tidy. When I go shopping, if I see something that is nice to wear at the show and at a reasonable price, I always buy them. I usually buy lots of green shirts as it's my favourite colour.

When I first started showing, I wore jeans but I now wear a neat dress pants. They are very light and won't be stuffy, especially in hot weather.

Since I show a Min Pin, I just wear my slip on shoes that I wear to work, but since you have a border collie and you'll need to run you may want to wear either runners or a dressy shoes but there are slip on runners around now so that may even make it easier!

But I think as long as you're neat and tidy, but I did see an exhibitor at a show last night that wore a t-shirt, shorts and sandles! But at the end of the day, it's the dog being judged, but I was amused by it last night!

If its who I think you are talking about he was supposed to change but decided all to hot and difficult. :angeldevil::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dunno if you are a guy, but I am guessing you are from your post. Oops! Don't think you're a guy! :mad But I hope my post will still help! lol

If its who I think you are talking about he was supposed to change but decided all to hot and difficult. :angeldevil::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's certainly is!! A shirt saying "News Flash; I DON'T CARE!" :D

Probably the best thing I've ever seen! Certainly a classic moment at a dog show :)

I have a stack of stretchy straight skirts I have bought from places like Temt, Valleygirl etc in all sorts of colours. I match them to tops and have a few jackets as well.

If you go with a knee length skirt make sure you can run in it. Mine are all stretch material and do not stop me striding out. Make sure you do the lunge test before you buy the skirt :angeldevil: Also be careful of flowing or loose skirts, it can get windy at shows and they tend to flap when you run.t

These days you can get nice shoes with some grip on them that go OK with skirts. It is more important that you have traction then anything else because no matter how nice the shoes go with the outfit, ending up on your arse is not fun.

If you buy white or really pale stuff, scotch guard it ASAP. I have a lovely white jacket and 3 white skirts and it's the only thing that has saved them! I even spilt orange juice on one skirt and it washed up beautiful. Scotch guard is your friend.

Regardless of the outfit - ensure you have a damn good sports bra!

Critical advice for anyone showing a fast moving breed.

Also, make sure it's doing the job it's supposed to - I've had some that are supposed to be those super-dooper Berlei anti-bounce models and they weren't doing what they needed to (as I discovered when I viewed video of myself a little while ago..) :rofl:

Ahh, one of my fav show topics! :rofl:

Classy, comfortable, clean, complementary to the dog(s) and functional are good rules to remember when shopping for show clothes. Some shows up the ante as far as style/bling here in the USA (Westminster, AKC/Eukanuba, National Specialties), but I don't think this level of flash is commonplace at Oz shows.

*If you have big boobs, invest in excellent bras that will hold you in. Bouncing melons are distracting.

*Wear age appropriate garments

*Be safe in your clothing/footwear selections, but also don't look like a buffoon by wearing a lovely skirt outfit with runners.

*Take pride in what you wear

Yes, yes, YES! A dog show is about the dogs, but c'mon people, don't look like you just crawled out of bed and rolled into the show ring with your dog. Put as much effort into your personal grooming/clothing as you put into grooming/preparing your dog for the show ring.

I've said this MANY times over the years...remember, you are the frame for a work of art (your dog). No museum in this world frames a van Gogh, Picasso, Pollock, Dali, Monet or any other masterpiece with a frame from the dollar store.

Show clothes don't have to be expensive. Common sense and basic style go a LONG way and it's not hard to look clean & tidy. :laugh:

eta: Pick colours that make your dog stand out - black/white dog look great against jewel colours: green, red, blue, purple, etc. They also look nice with pastels.

Edited by mersonmalinois