Walking 2 Dogs

becandcharch

Charche walks on a loose lead and Asha is almost there after a bit of training.

Since we have trained them to both stand/walk on our left I have just been waking them both next to each other on my left side on their own

separate leads. They are pretty good but occasionally get distracted by something of veer off track making it fun and games for me with 2 leads in my hand!

What does everyone else use?

2 dogs. 2 leads. Hold leads in my right hand. Dogs walk on my left (any position is okay, but on my left). Leash through my left hand as a guide to 'steer" them (holding the hand like you do in snooker).

i walk 2 on the left, and one on the right. :whee:

2 on the left know their spot, and don't cross, or they get stepped on :champagne:

one on right is new, and still learning his place. :thumbsup:

i do sometimes put my cattle, who is on the inside left onto a belt round my waist if i am going for a big road walk, he is really good ,and stays by me anyway, so free''s up my hand for my dally.

I do 4 dogs, 4 leads, two on each side with one slightly in front of the other. Once the walk is well underway, I can do all leads in one hand.

ETA: I hear two comments pretty constantly.

1. "Gee, they look like a handful".. don't know why, none of them pull unless Howie spies a bird.

2. "you must be from the RSPCA". That's just up the hill. They must think I'm a volunteer dog walker. :shrugs:

Edited by poodlefan

I did try those leads where you have one handle and short lead and then two separate leads for each dog on special swivelling attachments that prevent the leads attached to the dogs getting tangled. This works only if the two dogs walk at the same rate otherwise you have one slower dog being pulled along willy nilly by the stronger dog.

I have seven dogs at the moment: first walk is with three all on separate leads and then four with one on a long lead attached to my belt. In the past couple of days because my fosters (and I :champagne: ) are on a steep learning curve (lol), I have switched to using short 90cm leads. This has made a big improvement to my control and the pulling force they can exert.

2 dogs. 2 leads. Hold leads in my right hand. Dogs walk on my left (any position is okay, but on my left). Leash through my left hand as a guide to 'steer" them (holding the hand like you do in snooker).

Ok this is how I am doing it. I think once Asha has her loose lead sorted we will be ok.

Thanks everyone and praise to those of you walking 4 at a time! Clever cookies :champagne:

Two dogs on a brace lead; they actually behave better than if I have them on their own separate leads. Go figure.

When Sohvi (our puppy) is big enough, I'll walk the two girls on brace, and my boy seperately. He's still quite reactive when he is with the girls (he gets excited by their excitement), but by himself when I walk him he is pretty chilled. He's not yet two, though, and the boys in his line tend not to get brains until at least 3 years...

If I'm walking the three it's Buster on my left and Sophie and Banjo on my right but if I'm just walking the two it's usually Banjo on my left and Sophie on my right but I do like to swap them around.

Edited by Tiggy

I walk four at once the two standards on one lead on my left and the toy and the Jack Russell on one lead on my right. They all know there place and very rarely swap around. I also get the "Boy they must be a handful when they are all walking nicely beside me". :rofl:

I have used the double ended lead - but yes, same problem if one is lagging behind and/or one is a little faster. Also have used one dog on belt attachment and the other two on separate leads both on the left when I had three dogs. But the one on the belt attachment was very well behaved when walking.

When we had two (RIP my Locky :rofl: ) we used the double ended lead. Locky was very well behaved and would wait when asked so the pup could catch up if he was lagging behind. Sometimes we had seperate leads and depending on where they sorted themselves it could be one on either side or both on the one side :)

Two dogs, two leads. One on either side. Jedi hangs back and walks behind us, Ahsoka walks in front so I end up in the middle.

Usually when I am walking more than 2 (friends dog + my two) I have 3 leads and usually hold Jedi + other dog in one hand, and Ahsoka in the other.

I don't care where they walk - so long as they don't pull and they stay on the side they've chosen to walk on.

I used to do one on each side, Atlas on the left and Kaos on the right.

I now only walk one at a time, kaos walks fast, where At likes to take his time and sit.. and sit.. and have a rest... I just cant take them both at once! :thumbsup:

Guest Willow

2 dogs, 2 leads, one dog on each side. Sometimes I will hold both leads in one had & they walk on the same side. When I fostered and would walk up to four at one time, I would have two dogs on each side.