How Much Would You Pay?

Bartok

Hi there! I can't believe it - but after reading the forum for quite a while my first actual post is about POO! :mad I just had a look at the poo-patrol page and it made my day!!! LOL!

Anyway - to get back to the original question: I would ask the kids in the neighborhood as well. Playing with the dogs, help you (good deed) and getting maybe 10 bucks each time?! I would have done that straight away when I was little.

:banghead: And welcome!

Pffft, I'd still do it now if I could find enough people who needed poop scooping services to sustain me full time!!!

At the moment I am going through alot of tests etc for a major

back injury that may require surgery. So it is hard to do alot of

the normal everyday tasks at home. I have 4 x large dogs to pick up

after.

It is an ok job to see if one of the local teenagers would like a job

picking up the pooh? and how much would u pay them?

I was looking at employing a local to look after the proprty ie fence repair, pooh pick, hay to horses, general farm hand etc

BUT

was advised that insurance / work cover legalities made it fraught with problems.

Not so simple to offer a local teenager casual work any more -

ie what happens if he/she falls over and sprains their ankle etc while at your place -

big insurance and liability implications.

:) Thanks for the welcome!

@lilli - you got a point! I guess it is not as is was "when I was young"... It can probably cause you more grief then the clean garden is worth and the kids don't learn to work for their lollies anymore. SIGH! Is it true that, in Australia, you are responsible if a burglar drowns in your pool if you haven't had a proper fence? Same kind of thing I would say...

:) Thanks for the welcome!

@lilli - you got a point! I guess it is not as is was "when I was young"... It can probably cause you more grief then the clean garden is worth and the kids don't learn to work for their lollies anymore. SIGH! Is it true that, in Australia, you are responsible if a burglar drowns in your pool if you haven't had a proper fence? Same kind of thing I would say...

You'd get in the pooh for not having proper fences, and that could cause problems... but it'd be pretty unlikely.

Anyway, I reckon $10 or $15 per pooh patrol is fair for one of the neighbourhood kids.... just make sure the parents are ok with it first.

I use a stable fork because it is like picking up poo at Jurassic park here :) They are great,long handled and with a wide scoop,perfect for those tricky long kikuyu grass turds.

I used to pick up horse crap for a living on a big stud-5 tonnes a day with one of those,and had to unload it again by hand too-had arms like Popeye (not so attractive in a girl!!)

Aww Fran, I wish I was closer - I'd happily do it for you. Would people actually expect money to do that? :eat:

I don't actually mind poo patrol (except in times of intestinal disturbances - not so pleasant then). Sash loves nothing more than hiding them all over the place to surprise me... or leave a trail.

Hope things with your back improves soon.

Yep, of course people expect to be paid for doing a job ?

I wouldn't... what about good will and helping out a fellow human when they're in need?

I WOULD expect payment if someone just didn't like doing it, or just couldn't be bothered to do it themselves... but if someone (ie neighbour, friend, family) asked me because they were ill or physically unable to, I'd be more than happy to help them (for the dogs sake too).

AAARGH! Warning!

Do NOT get one of the cheapie ones from reject shop etc. I had to use one of these (brand new) helping out a friend who was in hospital...the damn thing bent every which way whenever you tried to use it (and this was only on cat poo, mind). It was like trying to eat soup with a spoon made of bread :cry:

I have a bad back and use the proper pooper scoopers like these:

ebay pooper scooper

They are great, no bending or stooping. You should be able to find them at good pet shops. Or if you have a friend who welds they could build some for you.

EFS

Edited by RuralPug

Work it out at $35 per hour.. If you want pick up every second day, I'd probably pay that per week.

$35 an hour???

That is excellent money for relatively unskilled work. :cry:

The basic wage is well below that, around $20 isn't it??

I would charge that to pick up shit all day too :cry:

Work it out at $35 per hour.. If you want pick up every second day, I'd probably pay that per week.

$35 an hour???

That is excellent money for relatively unskilled work. :cry:

The basic wage is well below that, around $20 isn't it??

Isn't that way more than what most skilled people earn?

I'm off to put my resignation in so I can earn more on poo patrol :cry: