Cats In The Reception Area Of The Vets

ruthless

Is it just me or does anyone else get the shits about cats being in the reception area of the vets? Not patients, but the resident cat that walks around the place freely. I go to several vets in my area and each one of them has a cat. I know not all dogs are cat haters like mine, but surely a lot are. It makes my trips to the vet really difficult cause as soon as they spy one they go into prey drive and won't settle until we're done and back out in the car.

I just felt the need to share that rant :thumbsup:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a long thread about this some time ago, can't find it though.

I usually pop in first to reception and let them know I'm here, and check the wait area for potential kitty teaser/ snacks

!!!!!!

fifi

My whippets would be cat killers so I always have them on a lead when I go to the vet just in case. Some clients even take their cats to the vet just held in their arms, it's something you have to assume will be there I think, and take precautions against the others stupidity.

The vet clinic I use has a cat. It always stays at the back though and is never in the reception area. Most people wouldn't even know they had a cat, the only reason I know about it is cos I did work experience there years ago!

I can't imagine why any vet clinic would let their cat roam around the reception area. It's just common sense that a cat strutting around would get a lot of dogs excited and worked up.

my vet has a resident cat that just wanders about the waiting room and up on the counter for a pat while your trying to pay the bill :thumbsup:

Frodo is always on the look out for it, not that he would hurt it, I worry more about him getting his eyes scratched if the cats having an "off"day ;)

I feel sorry for people who have dogs that might not like cats or even freindly dogs i like mine to sit and behave ..it's very tempting for them to want to follow the cat :)

I recently took a stray dog to the Vet so we could scan for a microchip and locate his owner. This dog was strong built. And just strong in general. And pulled on the lead as though there were no tomorrow. As I was out at the time at an event, I'd emptied my car of training collars as they were not expected to be needed, so the only thing I could do was loop a lead into a noose type arrangement and restrain the dog on that. He was so strong (yet an adorable, docile dog) that before the end of the day, my whole thumb had bruised from the effort to hold him.

I knew this dog was ok with other dogs (he was caught roaming in amongst other on-lead dogs at the event) and people, so wasn't worried about walking into the Vet's.

The dog still pulled me around inside the Vet clinic, whilst the clinic tried to contact the owner (from the microchip details). As they weren't able to reach them, I left the dog at the Vet's. The Vet nurse asked me to bring him around the back where their holding pens were. As I went to walk behind the reception and through the door, out came the resident cat.

Turned out ok, but my heart leapt as I really had no clue as to what this dog would do at the sight of a cat and I was flat out holding him without him being aroused, let alone if he was. Still not entirely sure, as I diverted the dog before it had much chance to glimpse it and said something like "cat!!". Vet nurse quickly sent the cat out and all was calm.

But yes, it can be a bit chancy sometimes.

Other times, I don't mind too much. I don't have a cat myself and it gives me the albeit rare opportunity to let my dog get used to the idea of cats being around and him not having anything to do with it.

Edited by Erny

Maybe we go to the same vet, Ruthless. Mine has a cat basket up on the counter (usually with resident cat - However if it doesn't move my guys don't notice it) and several other cats that wander around the surgery and sunbake outside. Very hard to convince my guys that they are not rabbits and do not need to be chased. I have got to the stage that I only take them in one at a time. Not easy if you have a dog which is really unwell trying to scrabble and get the cats.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the shits about cats being in the reception area of the vets? Not patients, but the resident cat that walks around the place freely. I go to several vets in my area and each one of them has a cat. I know not all dogs are cat haters like mine, but surely a lot are. It makes my trips to the vet really difficult cause as soon as they spy one they go into prey drive and won't settle until we're done and back out in the car.

Couldn't you just take your dog in the crate?

couldn't you just take your dog in the crate?

;) :):laugh: wouldn't work for my giant boofas !!!

fifi

Even if Ruthless did take her dog in a crate (which would have to be a wheeled one for sure, I can't imagine her carrying it in with Chopper in it :thumbsup: !) it's still a well known fact that a lot of dogs do not like cats, and just the presence of a cat in the room could stress them out.

Personally I would've thought it was common sense not to have a cat in a vet reception area (but then I'm not exactly a 'cat person') :)