Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Oh today and tomoorow can't come soon enough thats for sure. Though I'm a little apprehensive about his sleeping habits. With our BB Lola from the first night she was perfect. We put her to bed at 10pm she maybe cried for 30 seconds and then fell asleep until we woke her up in the morning around 7am. And on the weekends she can sleep til around 9am.

Fingers crossed that our lil guy has good sleeping habits or picks up on Lola's.

Congrats on having Jangels home!

We never really considered anything but a labrador. Beagles were mentioned at one point but they seem to have a less sturdy temperament by reputation. And we're really larger dog people. It's funny, I consider a labrador a "normal" sized dog. Anything smaller is small, anything larger is large. Yet every person (I'm not exaggerating, I mean everyone) we've told about James has immediately said, "You know they're big dogs, right?". Utterly bizarre. So they're a good size, brilliant temperament, shorter haired, handsome little devils and up for a run/swim. Perfect dog :( And they're clever - we wouldn't consider one of the less "intelligent" breeds.

Thanks Niques Totally agree with the above & well said.

Jax Having trouble uploading the photo Will try again

We had a good night last night :( Joker slept through from 10:30 til 6am somehow, yay!!!

Woohoo!! :D Great news, FD26! Long may it last..

KritalJay - Not long now!!

Can't wait to see him, Jakeyjangels..

Niques, Badger got his name once we saw a photo of him as a week old puppy.. It was the first name we came up with and we all loved it. And it really suits him too! (My hubby's and son's middle names are both James.. :laugh: )

Blue Fairy - I'm sorry to hear about your past experiences, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with these concerns.

The breeder I'm on the list for was meant have had 2 litters recently, but when it was due time, apparently she wasn't pregnant. I would just DIE if it happened again.

On the plus side, I found out today that there are a few newfies up here too. I live in Cairns and A LOT of people have advised AGAINST me getting a newfie due to the heat. I have spoken to many breeders and they say that aslong as I keep them cool (which I have a pool, he will have his own doggy pool, and the beach is 2 min away), he will be fine.

Maverick - Your pup is gorgeous!

I have a bad memory and can't remember what's going on with everyone else, but HIIIIIIIII! :cry:

Well done, Joker! James had a good night as well - slept through from 7:30pm to 5:30am. I was amazed - I'm sure he had a full bladder when he went to bed. I was expecting to be up again within an hour or two.

He also had his first big stay at home alone today! And he did brilliantly! He didn't go to the toilet in his pen (for 5 hours!!), but as soon as I let him out he just didn't make it to the grass and did a colossal wee on the edge of the driveaway. It went forever. I'm both very proud and a little guilty - I wish I could teach him to go on the newspaper in his pen if he needs to. He also didn't freak out at all when I came home. Instead he just picked himself up and hopped back into his bed. I'm a tad (irrationally) put out - is it too much to ask that he miss me at least the first time I leave him for a long period? :o Ah well, I'm hoping it indicates that we've trained him in his pen well, rather than lack of attachment.

His biting is driving me insane though. I think he's started biting harder and I feel like I'm always yelping and telling him "no". I feel bad having to say it so much, but god I wish he'd just stop it already. I bought him a car harness today - he's off to visit the vet's puppies this arvo and he's ridiculously squirmy in the car. I popped it on him to adjust the size and he could not keep it out of his mouth. Rrr, very frustrating.

(My hubby's and son's middle names are both James.. :( )

My brother's middle name is James as well - had to give him a call to check that he didn't mind sharing a name with a dog :laugh:

Hi everyone..

Great news about the good night, Niques.. Badger is the same as James when I get back from leaving him.. Kind of looks up from his bed and wags his tail as if to say "Oh, you're back..".. No frantic squirming etc.. That said, he's also very good with being left alone and doesn't seem to suffer any separation anxiety so maybe we should be grateful.. (But I know what you mean about being a bit put out.. :( )

MAD - I know what you mean.. I keep forgetting who's getting their puppy when too..

Badger was in energy overdrive today.. Played with anything that moved and a lot of things that didn't... :laugh: and then we had visitors all afternoon and he was on the go the whole time.. Now he is UNCONSCIOUS! I picked him up to move him off the patio and he didn't even open his eyes..

Ruby's new collar arrived today and it looks so cute!! It's fake croc skin and I love it!! She had a great sleep last night from 10 - 5am...hope it's as good or better tonight!

DSC05760.jpg

DSC05761.jpg

DSC05757.jpg

Edited by Red Ruby

The wait is over!!

Here is our new baby! He came home tonight!

His name is Hector :laugh:

He is a shelter puppy, he was listed as a Koolie Cross Husky (but who really knows..)!

He is 9 weeks young and such a sweetheart!

Maverick loves him and he loves Maverick!

He is taking very well to toilet training and he doesn't cry at all!

I love him to bits!

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Ruby is very adorable in her new collar! She's such a tiny little thing - too cute :o

Aww, Hector on his tiger is so sweet. So is the Maverick and Hector picture!

Sleeping is continuing to go well. Biting, however - worse.

Aww Mavericks, what a cute picture of the two of them, Maverick seems very accepting! :D

Kirtal - today's the day! I'm very excited for you!!

We had another fairly good night - didn't wake until 5am to go outside, but did take awhile to re-settle after that. I'm about ready to kill my OH cause for some reason he thinks it's fine if I lose sleep but god forbid he does and it's making me verrrry cranky lol. :o

But, for the most part all is well. I promise I'll take more pics this weekend, too lol

Welcome home to the new babies. Are there any coming home over the weekend?

Lola is going well on the sleeping overnight but she doesnt stop at all during the day. No sleep for this puppy. I try to give her a sleep after her lunch but she just cries.

Hows everyones toilet training going?

^ James is just the opposite. Allllways asleep during the day. With a break for lunch and short periods of play. I've heard it's fairly standard for labs to sleep so much...thankfully! Hah, I'd go insane with an always awake puppy.

Toilet training is going well for us.

He's not a very attached puppy though, which I think is the problem with trying to stop his biting - he genuinely doesn't care if we ignore him.

Toilet training is getting there slowly, littlehoot.

Joker has been going in the grass on his own more often, which is great...but he still has no concept of waiting until he's there. If he's in the house and the urge strikes him he just goes lol. I'm getting better at reading him though, and when I see him sniffing around I'll bring him out. He's covered our back porch in wee though lol...but, slowly getting there! How's it going for you?

Niques - we're having a problem with biting too, he broke skin on OH yesterday!! Nothing we try seems to be working, but instead of ignoring I've been playing with a rope toy with him and holding that in one hand and my other hand out, if he chooses the hand he gets "uhuhuh" (which he always gets for no) and if he chooses the toy he gets praised and I play with him. No progress yet, but hopefully he'll catch on soon.

We're having the same problem, he doesn't seem to read us very well, especially when excited.

Two good bits of news though, he's got sit down pat which is awesome, and he's learning to skateboard :o Last night I looked over and he's riding the skateboard along the porch, standing on it with 1 foot down pushing himself, I'll try to catch that one on video or in pics soon haha.

Edited by FD26

Congratulations on the new arrivals. Yay KritalJay, glad today is the day for you!

Everyone sounds like they're doing pretty good with sleeping and toilet training. Very impressive. I'm noting it all down for when we get our puppy. I think our current girl was pretty good to train - well, I can't remember it being bad anyway!

Keep the photos coming, I just LOVE them. If I had my way I think I could have a dog of every breed!