Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Getting closer Dory! :D

Yesterday was my birthday and Sumo's present to me was sleeping right through the night for the first time :cheer: He's so awesome. I just trimmed his nails with zero fuss when I was expecting a big carry on! We've been focussing on toilet training and what he is and is not allowed to chew so far, but today I'm going to start him on the lead and some basic commands.

So guys! Who's next?!

Two weeks or so left here, tide me over!!!

Photos from you please, KyKy!

6 sleeps here! :thumbsup:

I'm working on the weekend, so that should speed things up. The weekend always whizzes past when I have to work. :(

And tonight I'm juicing extra vegies for an extra mouth to feed. :D

(And then sometime in the near future will have to invest in a small chest freezer, our dinky little fridge freezer was okay for just us and Dory)

8 days to go for me, unofficially though, depends on how the 8 week vacs take :D

The worst! I'm running on an aprox timeframe, but it's the bare minimum so I will likely be disappointed.

How's the puppy proofing going?

I was hoping this would be the best place to ask since everyone has more then likely already gone through this. I'm starting to look into another dog. I've had a look into a few breeders so far and was just wondering about making initial contact. One breeder seems to use a contact form with questions so that's not to bad, but some of the others just have the email us option. Now I've never gotten a dog through a registered breeder before so not to sure what the process is like. For a first email I was thinking I'd just mention I'm looking for a new puppy, what I'd hope to do with the dog and mention a little bit about my current dog and let the rest go from there. Is there anything else I should mention, perhaps things I shouldn't be mention?

I have a litter of pups ATM so I can tell you from a breeders perspective (mine anyway) that I really liked the inquiries that gave a bit of insight into the person/family. I had a couple that were fantastic and told me a little about themselves and their current/past pets and even better were the ones who sounded like they had done some research and knew a little about the breed. I also had a few one liners, usually 'Have you got any pups left?' Or one couple who told me that they were only interested if they had first choice of all pups.

Just be friendly and give a bit of info about yourself and ask for further info about pups :)

Still 6 weeks for me!

Ben and Jerry, I always said something about myself, how the puppy/dog could fit into that life and demonstrating that I have researched into what the breed needs, my experience with dogs, what I'm looking for in a dog (for me companion first with agility/obedience on the side). I was also always open about my living circumstances (full time student) as some breeders are wary about that.

I then ended the email saying that if they have any questions at all to feel free to ask and left both email and phone numbers.

I got good responses but ended up going with a breeder I first met in person at a dog show. So that's my favourite option :) Still say the same stuff though.

I was hoping this would be the best place to ask since everyone has more then likely already gone through this. I'm starting to look into another dog. I've had a look into a few breeders so far and was just wondering about making initial contact. One breeder seems to use a contact form with questions so that's not to bad, but some of the others just have the email us option. Now I've never gotten a dog through a registered breeder before so not to sure what the process is like. For a first email I was thinking I'd just mention I'm looking for a new puppy, what I'd hope to do with the dog and mention a little bit about my current dog and let the rest go from there. Is there anything else I should mention, perhaps things I shouldn't be mention?

Maybe mention in your email your timeframe - ie: I'm looking for a puppy within the next year, or even mention that you don't have a timeframe (if you don't) so they know you aren't looking for a puppy tomorrow/next week/instantly/etc

But yep, tell them a bit about you and your living situation, your current dog, what you want to do with your new pup. Let the breeder know they can contact you by phone if that's better for them (and you) as not everyone loves email ... and be prepared for some to come back with a trillion questions, and maybe no response at all.

What breed are you looking into?

I wrote an essay to ours! Sheesh, poor woman.

I told her who we were, what we did for work and what our hours were like, what pets we had, what we want from a pet, why we think the breed was ideal for us, our living situations and our timeframe.

I broke the rules a bit and asked what price we were looking at and asked whether she was happy to transport as we are interstate.

Got lovely responses from those who responded, had a few who didn't bother, but ultimately for the best.

Really I just approached it like writing a dating profile, HAHA. I really did.