Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I will be having my Japanese Spitz puppy in 18days! will visit her next weekend...counting down begins! :D

can anyone please update me on what should i prepare from now? any suggestions, etc?

This will be my very first puppy, and i'm bit in "la la land" mode on what really should i buy (yes, i got the puppy to buy list from the breeder, but if you can suggest anything else much appreciated) :) ...thank you in advance for the advice.

Awww, how exciting.... more new puppies for us to watch grow up :thumbsup:

Monchichi.

Breathe deeply and keep researching.

It will be fun, but there will be days you are in tears, and thinking you have made a mistake. Like any new parent you will be tired, frustrated at times, and so much in love your heart nearly bursts. Everything will work out, and you will settle into a new way of life!

The main thing we underestimated with our first puppy was how much mischief he could get up to. We puppy-proofed, then again, then got on our knees and did it again- it WAS SAFE- or so we thought- mouse bait long forgotten under the fridge, moth balls in an obscure corner in a cupoboard (never thought he would eat moth balls- the "throw up" stench at the vets was awful, and a house guest who forgot to close a door and almost lost some medication. But he got better, and so did we. We armed ourselves with Vicks Vaporub to smear on anything he may chew,he would not go near it, and watched him every second.

This time around we have used a crate, and a playpen, and our lives are all so much safer and calmer. We pop him in his "bedroom" when we can't watch him, and know he is safe, and he loves it, in fact when I have a nap, he slides out of bed and goes to his crate, or whimpers until I bring it in- so much for a bed buddy :cry:

Take something with you when you visit that the puppy can play with that has your scent on it. Then bring it home with puppy, it will have his mum and siblins scent on it and will help soothe him. We took a towel.

Good luck, and use DOL as a sounding board, and a bragging board, we love to hear about them all.

Di

Edited by tikira

Awww, how exciting.... more new puppies for us to watch grow up :thumbsup:

Monchichi.

Breathe deeply and keep researching.

It will be fun, but there will be days you are in tears, and thinking you have made a mistake. Like any new parent you will be tired, frustrated at times, and so much in love your heart nearly bursts. Everything will work out, and you will settle into a new way of life!

The main thing we underestimated with our first puppy was how much mischief he could get up to. We puppy-proofed, then again, then got on our knees and did it again- it WAS SAFE- or so we thought- mouse bait long forgotten under the fridge, moth balls in an obscure corner in a cupoboard (never thought he would eat moth balls- the "throw up" stench at the vets was awful, and a house guest who forgot to close a door and almost lost some medication. But he got better, and so did we. We armed ourselves with Vicks Vaporub to smear on anything he may chew,he would not go near it, and watched him every second.

This time around we have used a crate, and a playpen, and our lives are all so much safer and calmer. We pop him in his "bedroom" when we can't watch him, and know he is safe, and he loves it, in fact when I have a nap, he slides out of bed and goes to his crate, or whimpers until I bring it in- so much for a bed buddy :cry:

Take something with you when you visit that the puppy can play with that has your scent on it. Then bring it home with puppy, it will have his mum and siblins scent on it and will help soothe him. We took a towel.

Good luck, and use DOL as a sounding board, and a bragging board, we love to hear about them all.

Di

Great advice :)

Tikira, thank you for your advice! You've just remind me to puppy proof my house! I completely forgotten this part! Silly me! Will remove the moth ball this weekend! I never thought of this!

Vicks vaporub....uhm lucky i have plenty of this on my medicine cupboard hahaha.

Dog bed, can anyone suggest which one better to buy? I'm confused with so many choices. Any particular brand that last longer?

Dog kennel, for when she is outside if she needs to sleep...plastic or wood/timber better?

Tikira, thank you for your advice! You've just remind me to puppy proof my house! I completely forgotten this part! Silly me! Will remove the moth ball this weekend! I never thought of this!

Vicks vaporub....uhm lucky i have plenty of this on my medicine cupboard hahaha.

Dog bed, can anyone suggest which one better to buy? I'm confused with so many choices. Any particular brand that last longer?

Dog kennel, for when she is outside if she needs to sleep...plastic or wood/timber better?

So exciting getting a new puppy. Have a look at Kuranda dog beds, they are expensive but should outlast most any beds. I bought one recently for my Husky, and my boy can really chew, he just cant get at any bits to destroy. Worth the investment in my opinion and buy for an adult of your breed. For outside I have a cheaper version to the Kuranda that I have had from my last dog and just replaced the hessian cover. I just have that under by outside table and my boy loves it there.

Its probably worth investing in a crate. I got mine from Vebo with a ready cut vet bed. I am very happy with the quality and price. Both Vebo and Kuranda are sponsors here.

RE A kennel, if you have good undercover decking for her to get out of the sun you might find she won't use one. Get a cheap one to start with is my advice. We bought two lovely wood ones and lo and behold the only use for them is Rosie climbing on top to look in the window or see over the back fence.

Pups grow so fast, so beds are a bit tricky. I ended up buying a small $15 bed from the local cheap shop which lasted for the first few months, and he absolutely adored it. He was still trying to cram himself in there at 6 months, and now it would probably only fit his head in it... If you buy a full size bed at the start then it might not provide that safe snuggly environment that the little ones like. There will be plenty of time to buy an expensive bed when they're a bit bigger, and not chewing so much :)

Pups grow so fast, so beds are a bit tricky. I ended up buying a small $15 bed from the local cheap shop which lasted for the first few months, and he absolutely adored it. He was still trying to cram himself in there at 6 months, and now it would probably only fit his head in it... If you buy a full size bed at the start then it might not provide that safe snuggly environment that the little ones like. There will be plenty of time to buy an expensive bed when they're a bit bigger, and not chewing so much :)

Yup I just bought a cheap little round one for $10 from big W. He grew out of it fast and then decided to eat it. I'd buy cheap ones until you can trust the pup enough that you could buy an adult sized good one and he own't destroy it :)

They don't last long!

1070014_10151594522580787_967023741_n.jpg

Or if it's anything like Nova, you get around to buying an expensive good bed and he decides the door matt is better laugh.gif

RE A kennel, if you have good undercover decking for her to get out of the sun you might find she won't use one. Get a cheap one to start with is my advice. We bought two lovely wood ones and lo and behold the only use for them is Rosie climbing on top to look in the window or see over the back fence.

thanks Steph M, yes i have undercover decking...but since she will be outside while i'm at work, i am thinking to buy her a kennel, so she can hide during winter if it's too cold or too hot in summer. i saw one in Reject Shop the plastic one for $30, might just buy this to start off.

I'm very happy with petplan - good choice :)

Me too. They have paid out close to $5000 for one of my dogs in less then 12 months and they include alternative medicine also.

aliwake & Rebanne : which plan are you using? Budget, standard or supreme?