• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:rofl:

No pics sorry.

My cattle dog did it all her life, she was very alpha so to see her curled up and kneading her 'sucky blanky' was quite hilarious! She went into 'bliss'.

My spinone does it, she was not weaned early. She mainly uses a large soft toy that Monah (as a singleton) slept with etc. and then brought with her from the breeders. This toy is 4 years old and still perfect. She HATES it when I have to wash it :laugh:

Roisin will also use her snoozy rug, my furry throw, or a jumper etc.

When we travel we always have her sucky teddy!!!

I've had several cats dothis too. The worse one was one of my brown burmese (male) who used to suck my female blue burmese on her chest (both desexed and not weaned early). He made her lovely fur all orange!! on her front :scold: and she would be soaked. Silly girl, she would put her paws around his neck and hold him while he did it! I will post pics sometime as I have been scanning many old ones.

I've read somewhere that it's a self-calming behaviour and not about being weaned too young.

Since dog's intelligence is estimated at the level of 3-4yo child I guess a pacifier is handy when trying to make sense of the world :rofl:

I have heard the theory if it being taken from mum too early, but so many who do it were definitely not taken too early so I do doubt it. It's generally a comforting thing, as they obviously enjoy it! I don't have anyone who does it myself, but it's adorable to see others!!! Love all the pics!

And here is a close up of him doing it.

He has two teddies so I can wash one because they tend to stink after awhile ha ha. Before he had two he sat beside the washing machine until his teddy came back out. He wasnt impressed about it being away from him.

post-32278-1264289439_thumb.jpg

Strangely enough she was the only one of our three who didn't destroy stuffed toys - she had one favourite bear that lasted for 8 years - he did have to have surgery a few times LOL

Wow, that would have to be a record for the longest I have heard a stuffed animal lasting with a dog. She really does love her teddy :rofl:

ETA: there are some very cute pics in this thread.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Such cute pictures!

Bianca cuddles her toys, but doesn't suckle them. However when she's asleep, she puts her tongue out, hollows it and makes little sucking noises like she's suckling from her dam.

Hee hee Sooty does this too, she is a very animated sleeper and makes a lot of noise but it is so cute when you can see her suckling like a little puppy. Unfortunately I don't think toys last long enough around here to be able to be sucked on, they get ripped to shreds.

My aunt had a pekinese that would suck on a baby's dummy.

If you didn't watch her, my young niece would "share" her dummy with the dog :eek:

A few seconds each, then swap; erk.

This was discouraged - the dog had her own supply eventually, and she was limited to those.

Diesel is also a suckler, though he doesn't have any stuffed toys now that he is older because his favourite game is tug & he would sucle the toy until it was soaking wet then come & put it in your lap to play tug with him. :D

With his hand me down teddy he inherited from Max the Dobe who was a "destroyer". :eek:

DSCF2157.jpg

Edward also loves his soft toys. He's nearly six now and has about 20 of them. He plays with all of them and never destroys any. They just get very soggy and dirty. I love the look on his face when they've all been in the washing machine - it's like - wow new toys :eek:

A study recently published in Molecular Psychiatry ( A canine chromosome 7 locus confers compulsive disorder susceptibility) looked at obsesive compulsive disorders in Doberman Pincher's including blanket and flank sucking. The found a particular allele increased the risk of them having OCD and were looking at it as a possible model for human OCD spectrum disorders.

It also said that a stressful event may have started it but stressors are usually not required to initiate the behaviour once it has become habit. That may be where the early weaning idea comes from.

A study recently published in Molecular Psychiatry ( A canine chromosome 7 locus confers compulsive disorder susceptibility) looked at obsesive compulsive disorders in Doberman Pincher's including blanket and flank sucking. The found a particular allele increased the risk of them having OCD and were looking at it as a possible model for human OCD spectrum disorders.

It also said that a stressful event may have started it but stressors are usually not required to initiate the behaviour once it has become habit. That may be where the early weaning idea comes from.

Interesting!! Shyla had to have major surgery at 3 weeks of age and was away from her mother for a week after that.. I wonder if that added to the desire to suckle

Very interesting, thanks.