Catalogues

darwinroyal

These remarks are prefaced with a disclaimer. I have researched many times and there do not appear to be rules regarding how exhibits will be catalogued within a class. Would be happy to hear if another jurisdiction has rules that I have missed.

Examples I have seen:

** alpha by name of owner;

** alpha by name of exhibit;

** ad hoc in the order they were received;

** age date order from oldest to youngest;

** age date order from youngest to oldest;

** littermates in rego number order;

** and possibly more that escape my failing memory.

I have taught people when ordering entries for a show they may arrange them however they like, however a transparent method should be used in order to avoid any finger-pointing in regards to favouritism.

So, how would exhibitors like their catalogues to be produced? If you have a preference, why? Have you never really paid much attention? Is the show catalogue important to you?

Has always wondered if there was a particular method as we often have multiple dogs in same age class and when I get the catalogue I try to work out why one dog is first over another. (Makes it easier to work out which dog is which number)

I will agree there seems to be many different ways for them to be sorted but any way you do it, someone will find a fault in it.

When compiling catalogues I go alpha by exhibitors name and if they have multiples then alpha by dogs name. eg. Finest Hot Chic goes before Finest Hot Girl.

As an exhibitor I ALWAYS order a catalogue, I can't function without one. Just to see how many dogs before mine to see how much time I have and to mark results.

:( OH my goodness I would die without my catalogue :grouphug:

I love to have a read (with a coffee) before the show starts, I mark some breeds and take it home and have another look !!!

Then I bin them !!!

:) Yep love my catalogue, I order one at every show I go to , even it is a 3 day show I get one each day !!!

When compiling catalogues I go alpha by exhibitors name and if they have multiples then alpha by dogs name. eg. Finest Hot Chic goes before Finest Hot Girl.

As an exhibitor I ALWAYS order a catalogue, I can't function without one. Just to see how many dogs before mine to see how much time I have and to mark results.

I always get the dogalogue. What pisses me is people who have multiple dogs and NEED yours to check, thats okay. BUT its those that remove it and never return it. AND take it without asking like happened last saturday, I came back to check our new breed no dogologue. Then I espied one on a nearby trolley and said is that mine. Oh soory i just borowed it. Yeah right.

It was a 2 day show so needed it for Tuesday. :):grouphug::(:laugh:

I think youngest to oldest is good.

personally I like it when they are catalogued in order of arrival so if you want to be first in line get your entries in early.

Might help secretaries to receive the entries earlier rather than all after date of closing too.

I do them in order recieved. If we were to do them alpha all the time, then some exhibitors could say that being first/last all the time discriminates their dogs. By it being more random everyone gets a go and being first last or middle. In age order particularly with youngsters, it is important that they learn about dogs in front and dogs behind them.

I do them in order recieved. If we were to do them alpha all the time, then some exhibitors could say that being first/last all the time discriminates their dogs. By it being more random everyone gets a go and being first last or middle. In age order particularly with youngsters, it is important that they learn about dogs in front and dogs behind them.

Good points there EF. :rofl:

I like it this way.

I too like it this way, random listings. Doing it in Alphabetical listing by the exhibitor name is not always fair either. My surname starts with B so I am always up the front and if I was to take my OH's surname, it starts with A, I am still at the front. :thumbsup:

I also like the idea at Specialty Shows in having the class in age order, especially in the Intermediate Class , Australian Bred and Open from oldest to youngest.

I like it this way.

Me too, and it's how I catalogue.

Also, if you have a chronic bum-runner (or slow-poke) in your breed then at least people have an even chance of not ending up in front of them (or behind depending). While there are things you can do to manage those kinds of exhibitors it is nice to know you won't ALWAYS be stuck in a certain position with them.

I do it alpha by owners name. I could not put in order received, because I use a program that does the sorting. And also I don't receive the entries, so have no idea who was in first except for the receipt number.

I like youngest to oldest, OR order received. Heaps of our shows are alphabetical by surname, so the same people are always last (or first) in the lineup. It would seem fairer to use a system where you would not always been in the same order.

ETA: oops shoudl have refreshed before I posted. Others have said the same prior to my post :hug:

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

I like youngest to oldest,

In my breeds the older the faster (especially dallies) so the older dogs behind would have trouble moving if they were following the younger (slower) dogs.

OR order received.

No!!!! I always get my entries there just before closing. :)

Heaps of our shows are alphabetical by surname, so the same people are always last (or first) in the lineup.

If I ever get married his surname will have to start with "A". There are plenty of people that have changed their surname so they are at the front of the line at shows.