Vet Fined For Tail Docking

bulldogz4eva

Couldnt find this online but was in todays West Australian.

A veterinarian from NSW was fined $32,500 in Perth Magistrates Court this week after pleading guilty

to performing tail docking surgeries without being registered in WA.

the Veterinary Surgeons Board charged Ross John Hansford with 132 counts.

Board inspector Chris Loyd said Hansford,who is a registered veterinary surgeon in NSW,

travelled to WA to perform tail docking surgeries from November 2008 to March 2009.

RSPCA WA President Lyn Bradshaw said the fine would send a warning to the community

that cosmetic tail docking of dogs was unacceoptable.

Sorry Lynn but the only message it sends is dont get caught.

A veterinarian from NSW was fined $32,500 in Perth Magistrates Court this week after pleading guilty

Board inspector Chris Loyd said Hansford,who is a registered veterinary surgeon in NSW,

travelled to WA to perform tail docking surgeries from November 2008 to March 2009.

RSPCA WA President Lyn Bradshaw said the fine would send a warning to the community

Here we go again

Don't agree - hopefully it will help put a stop to "cosmetic " tail docking

Early last year, I heard that a NSW vet was docking in WA. There are vets that still dock in WA though.

Bloody hell $32,500 :rofl:

There are people that beat, starve & cause horrendous suffering + puppy farms that get nowhere near this penalty.

The vet broke the law but this is not the worst form of cruelty when done properly by a vet. Showing the power I guess, & I don't even support tail docking.

Don't agree - hopefully it will help put a stop to "cosmetic " tail docking

Whatever.., it is actually unlikely to put a stop to "cosmetic" docking, but hopefully it will put a stop to vets who practice interstate without firstly organising their license to practice in that state!

My understanding is that vets CAN dock in WA for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes - IF they are registered.

Edited by gareth

Sounds more like the vet was fined for not being registered in WA. :D

Yep that is what it sounds like!

Is this the vet that docked the dobe thats on the cover of Dog News?

If you are talking about the Dobe on the latest DogsWA Canine news he is an import and I assume would have been done in the country of origin.

There are many WA Dobes with docked tails, most of them would be done by a WA rego'd vet

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I'm sure that's the same vet that docked my (then current, now ex) boyfriend's litter of Rottie pups... but it was legal to do so here in NSW at that time. He did a very nice neat job, and the pups didn't appear to even feel it (we were present during the ops)... and afterwards, they were playing happily with no sign of any pain or trauma either...

T.

I'm sure that's the same vet that docked my (then current, now ex) boyfriend's litter of Rottie pups... but it was legal to do so here in NSW at that time. He did a very nice neat job, and the pups didn't appear to even feel it (we were present during the ops)... and afterwards, they were playing happily with no sign of any pain or trauma either...

T.

Pups are docked somewhere between birth and 3 days, so how were they playing happily afterwards ?

The fine is pretty big, tho 132 tail docks is also a large number, i agree also with if its done by a vet and properly i dont have a problem with it, many vets still dock and crop.

And where would that be, exactly?

The fine is pretty big, tho 132 tail docks is also a large number, i agree also with if its done by a vet and properly i dont have a problem with it, many vets still dock and crop.

And where would that be, exactly?

Ditto, I would be most interested in seeing a dog that was cropped here in Australia!

:thumbsup:

So much fuss about qualified vets snipping off tails on neo-natal pups ..... often tails that get broken if left long .....

...... yet I can legally kill and EAT a dog in most states of Australia and I don't need a qualified vet to do the killing.

Souff